Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:20:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690855
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mantic Walking Dead All Out War to return in 2024  (Read 2365 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Mantic Walking Dead All Out War to return in 2024
« on: December 04, 2023, 04:13:51 PM »
Looks like it wasn't a clean head shot last time, as it's coming back. I'm assuming the basic game in som form, as well as new expansions

https://www.manticgames.com/news/the-walking-dead-all-out-war-returns-in-2024/

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Mantic Walking Dead All Out War to return in 2024
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 06:21:00 PM »
I love their stuff, but, man, they are sooo expensive.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 08:37:34 PM »
Excellent.
I do not know anything about the Commonwealth, I got as far as Alexandria reading it at the Waterstones Memorial Library.

I wonder what they will be made of. I have some of the resin ones but have not done anything with them.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 11:20:03 AM »
Material is a very good question, and one Mantic has a poor history with (I still have nightmares about cleaning up their original corporation troopers >:().

They have been moving more and more to hard plastic, including re-releasing some Kings of War stuff in it (just after I bought the old stuff, of course :'()

So, hopefully it will be hard plastic, but time will tell. What that does to the price (I also found them too expensive for what you got), is another question.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 11:24:18 AM »
Material is a very good question, and one Mantic has a poor history with (I still have nightmares about cleaning up their original corporation troopers >:().

They have been moving more and more to hard plastic, including re-releasing some Kings of War stuff in it (just after I bought the old stuff, of course :'()

Material for the mini was my first question, I stopped collecting when they switched to resin. It's just not a good gaming material.

So, hopefully it will be hard plastic, but time will tell. What that does to the price (I also found them too expensive for what you got), is another question.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 08:30:29 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 08:06:44 PM »
Sadly, not much detail there about materials or release content. I’m just getting interested in zombie gaming but not specifically TWD, so my future purchases will depend on what the figures are made of, and what the price point is. Game specific stuff like cards, etc, will probably end up in the bin, so I am reluctant to pay much extra for that.

(The Last of Us tv series was what piqued my interest in zombie gaming, as it was filmed all over the province where I live. Several filming locations are places I am familiar with in real life, which was fun! The mall they used was one I often used to go to, and I got married on the waterfront near where the winter cannibal episode was filmed. And it’s not every day that the provincial legislature building gets blown up in a tv series! I never played the video games, but I found the story engaging.)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 03:23:42 AM »
The Last of Us tv series was what piqued my interest in zombie gaming

I agree that the series was excellently done. I loved it and I am by no means a zombie fanatic. That's so cool many of the scenes were shot near where you live. Then again...maybe not? I found it so realistic and disturbing that I would often lie awake for a couple hours at night after watching it, wondering. "Am I prepared if something like this happens? How would I survive?" I know, I know...just a show. I found that one did it realistically enough that it made me think.

Mike Demana

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 02:10:25 PM »
Gaming zombies is always fun. All you need is this sort of guide...  ;)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 06:21:21 PM »
“Place spotting” in Last of Us definitely added a fun element to watching the series. (I had a similar experience watching the newest Ghostbusters movie, too which was also filmed in this region. I didn’t know that before watching, then part way through it dawned on me why the places looked familiar!) The plausibility of the scenario (Last of Us, not Ghostbusters…) is a big part of what hooked me in. It even got my wife hooked, and she’s usually not into horror stuff.

Regarding gaming and Mantic’s upcoming releases, I will definitely be taking a look at the figures but whether and how much I buy will be down to the price point and whether or not the material is good to work with. There are lots of other options around! (I nearly went with 1:72 plastics but decided that being able to crossover with my small Zona Alpha and Pulp collections made 28mm a more sensible choice. Much easier to find 28mm building kits in 28mm too.)

As for surviving a zombie apocalypse, I have no illusions about how long I would last! Too old and getting too out of shape to run much. Best case scenario, I could hold a blocking position long enough to give younger, fitter folks a head start!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 08:39:29 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 07:14:30 PM »
Hmm, was just reading - and posting - in another thread about the Khurasan Coast Guard boat and the link takes you to their range of figures for zombie wars.  If you can handle 15 mm figures, you can get loads and loads of figures from them.  And then all you need is the rules I'd guess.  Though I'm no expert, zombies very much NOT my thing.  But they make a LOT of cool figures for sure.  And in my dealings with them, they have always been prompt in shipping stuff out or advising of any delays. 

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 08:31:12 PM »
And if you want scenarios try World War Z and Closure, Limited.

Offline Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2024, 08:33:13 PM »

I’ve not read this though I have read and enjoyed World War Z. While I’ve no doubt that the advice is well thought out and practical, my overall feeling based on consumption of an average amount of zombie media is that the likeliest means of avoiding becoming one of the undead is to emulate Nick Frost’s character in Shaun of the Dead, who achieves this simply by having been in all respects except diet a zombie his whole life and feeling no sense of shame about it. This is without doubt the most troubling message I have yet encountered in a zombie story.

However, at the very real risk of appearing over-earnest or even a candidate for Pseud’s Corner, I suggest that if we take the zombie genre as we know it today as having begun in 1968 with Night of the Living Dead, that film’s statement about unthinking consumerism seems to have been not only borne out but amplified with supreme irony given our never-ending appetite for zombie-themed entertainment.

The above paragraph might lead the reader to assume it is meant as the prelude to a penetrating analysis of zombies in popular culture. The reader will, in that case, be mistaken, not least because I possess no such insight.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2024, 08:52:45 PM »
Thanks Fifteens Away, but buying from non UK suppliers is a lot of a faff (I still buy a lot of my stuff at shops and shows).

28mm zombies, especially TWD:AOW ones are not not something I am short of -

From the 2022 Mantic Zombie Apocalypse set.
These are in addition to the ones in the TWD:AOW boxes themselves.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 09:29:46 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 09:47:07 AM »
Until we know what material Mantic are using for new (and perhaps replacing the existing resin) figures, I thought I would have a go with some if the ones I bought when TWD:AOW was originally discontinued.

I originally was going to find Alpha from the Whisperers, but that (and most of the others) have disappeared into M-Space (it is like L-Space but for miniatures rather than books).

So I have assembled Jesus instead.

Pause.

Moving on.

The figure is in a resin with very large feed pieces (gates?). The resin has a slightly greasy feel even after a wash with scouring cream.

There are three pieces, four if you include the base (I did think about replacing the base with a blank 25mm base, but the top surface is smaller and the figure really needs all the surface it can get). The base is solid, no space underneath.

The detail is good, there are loops of the boot laces clear of the boots.

There is some flash, mainly at the bottom of the coat and around the boots. I had to clear a couple of mould lines in the creases on one arm.

The figure is posed with one foot on his back pack holding a pair of binoculars.

With resin (and metal) figures I tend to create a larger area of super glue when gluing figures to bases, then I apply some fine Woodlands Scenics fine ballast (my normal basing cover) as it helps hold the figure and means I should not slop PVA over the boots when I cover the base.

Unfortunately, the glue holding the boot to the back pack had not set, so he has left mud all over his pack.

Photos to follow,