Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:19:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings in 10mm?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
The Lord of the Rings in 10mm?
« on: December 06, 2023, 03:28:33 PM »
Hi all, a quick rules question. Does anyone know where I might get The Battle of Five armies G W rule book? Or even the boxed game? I wanted to make up some Middle Earth armies in 10mm!  A pdf would also work for me. Many thanks for any information.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: The Lord of the Rings in 10mm?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 06:35:26 PM »
It was never released as a PDF

There is one on eBay at the moment £50 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145075658954

You may do 'better' to search for a copy of Warmaster (they are normally less IIRC) and use them - the 5 Armies was based on that game.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 06:46:36 PM »
The boxed game tends to go for a couple of hundred pound when it comes up on ebay - I know because I've wanted a copy for ages.
AFAIk the rules are just a stripped down warmaster so you may have better luck looking for a warmaster PDF online.

Alternatively you could look at the citadel War of the ring ruleset which I think is also based on warmaster and has a pretty good reputation (and comes up cheap on ebay)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 07:51:39 PM »
BoFA rules are pretty much just Warmaster Fantasy.

The BoFA plastic figures are generally a bit meh (and I have quite a lot of them). The Elves and the Goblin infantry are probably the best. The metal add-on packs were much better, but these go for very silly money.

The hills in the box set are good - but are just the generic GW ones from the same era. The ruins are handy. 

I’ve got a least 1.5 box sets worth but much of them haven’t been painted, as it was definitely volume over quality. And at today’s prices I definitely not be keen.

Overall the Copplestone metal figures are much better (and are easily available today).

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 01:02:41 AM »
For figures, you doubtless know the vast Pendraken range. There's a limited and very good 10mm range by Copplestone which is less well known. Irregular Miniatures can sometimes fill in the gaps too.

Don't do commercial rules these days, so no use to you there.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 02:25:21 AM »
Forest Dragon do 10mm scale fantasy STLs which would be useable for LotR.

There are sellers on Etsy (and no doubt elsewhere) who will sell you the figures if you don't have a printer.

Laran Miniatures (https://laranminiatures.bigcartel.com) also do 10mm fantasy. Good Men, Evil Men and the Unseen. The latter being somewhere between Skaven and ghosts, have a look and you'll see what I mean. The Evil Men have an option of Dark Hero on Drake that is a shoo-in for a Nazgûl on a flying beast.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 10:06:02 AM »
Thanks for the response. I have many Copplestone minis, they are wonderful... full of character. I wish he would finish the range, some elves perhaps. I found an old printout called The war of the Ring, these are lists for Warmaster! All the races and armies, so I will work with those. The Forest Dragon miniatures are truly astonishing...quite beautiful miniatures. The Wood Elves in particular. Thanks again, will give The five armies a miss.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 11:59:16 AM »
I can't find any scanned version con coffeepdf or others either.
I'd love to have a copy too, also to see the artwork.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Gino61

• Schoolboy
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 05:59:22 PM »
Hello everyone.
I have been collecting and painting 10/12mm miniatures on the Middle Earth theme for several years.
I started from the Copplestone miniatures and to complete or expand armies and races I used:
- Magister Militum: which develops Fantasy categories as well as having an extensive Ancient and Middle Ages range. Unfortunately the company has decided to close and is looking for a new owner;
- Pendraken: very well made, it also has a Fantasy sector and a fairly large Ancient and Middle Ages sector;
- Eureka miniatures: this features miniatures of the Mumalik identical to the film, as well as flocks of bats, crows and miniatures of Huorns;
- Splintered miniatures: this has an interesting 15mm series where you can find armored orcs that can be used as Mordor Trolls, as well as a miniature of an Evil Lord easily adaptable to Sauron, and miniatures adaptable to Ent;
- Kallistra miniatures: this company also has a good Fantasy range, the orcs are similar to Pendraken;
- Old Glory 25s; features miniatures suitable for Gondor and Harad.
As for regulations, I confirm that the one on the Battle of the 5 Armies does not exist in PDF and I got a copy for 100 dollars.
However, in Italy there is a regulation called Basic Impetus suitable for this purpose and a version can be found online.
I hope I have been useful.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 09:02:03 AM »
I would just say I picked up a copy about 10 years ago on a bring and Buy stall.
I'd chased it since release and had kicked myself for not getting it.
The figures are ok, the rules are warmaster, the hills the standard GW ones, the river just a fiddly to arrange piece of cardboard. The only thing I really liked was the ruins!
If you go onto boardgame geek there is a great rules summary for download.
I also found online (somewhere) the battle of five armies scenario that was in the BOFA book as a pdf.
If you have the warmaster rules, the rules summary and the scenario you're good to go.

I would also say the copplestone stuff is great, really lovely.