Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) Country Road Z solo rules from Modiphius  (Read 3533 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: (Commercial) Country Road Z solo rules from Modiphius
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 11:22:23 PM »
Were you trying to order from their UK website (Modiphius.com), or their localized US webstore (Modiphius.us)?

I think only two responses are valid.
1. D'oh!  lol
2. Thank you, sir!!!

Book is ordered and I plan on looking through the PDF this evening...

Mike Demana

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2024, 09:26:29 PM »
I think only two responses are valid.
1. D'oh!  lol
2. Thank you, sir!!!

Book is ordered and I plan on looking through the PDF this evening...

Mike Demana

Please do share your thoughts on the PDF!  I'm especially interested in the narrative solo campaign aspect of the game.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2024, 03:01:08 PM »
It looks very interesting. It is set up for three different types of events that led to the zombie apocalypse: Viral (the standard, essentially); magic; Cthulu-type "dark powers." There are special rules for each of the three strands, though which you choose doesn't really prevent you from either of the campaign styles they have included.

If you want to do solo or coop, this should be very easy. All of the zombies operate by a detailed A.I., so no need to wing it and try to decide what would happen with the opposition. I think the coop possibilities are better in this release than in either Five Parsecs from Home or Five Leagues from the Borderlands (Modiphius' other similar releases). The reason for that is each character has a "Tier" level of 1-4. When populating the zombies for the scenario it gives a formula, such as 1.5x the combined tier levels of all the survivors.

I am planning on using this coop and want to do the "Road Trip" campaign option. My players will be from the East coast or Midwest attempting to make it out to the wide open spaces (and less populous states) of the Great Plains. Fewer people, fewer zombies -- fitting in with the County Road Z's setting of "flyover country." I intend for each player to begin with a vehicle and three survivors -- a Tier 3, 2, and 1. So, if I have 5 players or 4 players, it doesn't matter. I just do the math on how many zombies to populate the board with.

Lots of cool campaign stuff as you'd expect from something in the "Five" genre. I am about 1/3 of the way through reading the pdf, so will post more thoughts as I progress.

Mike Demana

Offline Skipper

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2024, 11:27:47 PM »
So,  I've got the older version (1.26).  What are the major differences between it and the new release?  Other than the price, that is.

I'm trying to decide whether the upgrade to the new edition is necessary.

Can someone elaborate on the weapon changes and maybe if there is much difference in the zombie AI.

Skipper
Skipper

"No challenge is too small.......or too large!"

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2024, 12:25:15 AM »
I don't have the old edition -- sorry! Just the new one.

Mike Demana

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2024, 09:05:47 AM »
So,  I've got the older version (1.26).  What are the major differences between it and the new release?  Other than the price, that is.

I can't help you with that, sorry, but the old edition seems to be in hiding just now.

I can only find it as part of a bundle on DriveThru, but, when clicking its picture in the bundle, it says something about that item not being in a vault. I don't know if DriveThru's new site is broken (not particularly impressed with the new layout) or if it has been withdrawn to focus attention on the book.

Offline Skipper

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2024, 11:15:30 PM »
They have discontinued it, but as you say it can be purchased in the bundle, but only on the new site. 

Anyhow,  I went ahead and purchased the new version and am currently printing out the pdf.  I'm going to try an convert my current game (So this is how it Ends) to the rules as they look pretty close to what I'm interested in playing. 

Here are the tings I see different:
- much nicer layout and good index.
- more production value
- They have added the Tool Kit into the book (Three different settings each with its own special rules)
- Road trip (supplement found on facebook has been added to the core book for a traveling game.
- The more crunchier firearms and combat system is included as optional rules.

Did I need the new version - No

Could I get by without it - Yes

Is the price tag significantly higher - Yes

Do I have regrets shelling out for the new book and pdf.   - Absolutely not.

I cannot wait to have everything in one place and also get the hardbound book in.  I'm pretty excited about the purchase and will try and get it on the table in the near future.

Skipper

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2024, 02:47:38 PM »
Just found an amazing resource for this game. There is a fan Facebook page in which the author is part of the discussions. I know some aren't on FB, but this is another example of how it is rich source for gaming activity. Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3151425398403859

Mike Demana

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2024, 06:13:20 PM »
Modiphius is having a sale of most of their Fallout stuff just now, so I took the opportunity to buy a couple of pieces. I also bought Country Road Z, which means it can share some of the pain of their eye-watering p&p :o

I've downloaded the pdf, but, because the book is pre-order, none of the stuff will arrive until next month :(

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2024, 02:31:09 AM »
I thought the book was pretty inspiring and am currently painting and purchasing stuff to get ready for a "Road Trip" style campaign for my Sunday evening group of players...  :-*

Mike Demana