Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:59:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690922
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battlegroup Question  (Read 581 times)

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
Battlegroup Question
« on: December 18, 2023, 12:00:56 PM »
Hello All
A simple question about the Battlegroup rules by Iron Fist.
I feel I know the answer to this question, but just wanted to check the hive mind to ensure I have it right.
What constitutes a 'unit'?

In the case of infantry, would it be a squad?
So a German squad, with 5 models, is a unit?
And so is a Russian squad, with 8 models, also a unit?
Presumably a single vehicle/tank is a unit?

Have I got this right?

So, for example, (and I'm looking at the Kursk book here) a German Panzer Grenadier platoon (pg 61) would comprise 7 units (1 command unit, 3 squad units, 3 MG units)?
And if I choose support units they are...well...individual units in their own right? Or can I have 4 support units as part of the cost - but they are still individual units (meaning the platoon is actually up to 11 units)?
Or is the platoon 1 unit?

And if I also take a Pz4 squadron of 3 tanks is that 3 units or 1?

Maybe I'm being thicker than the offspring of the local village idiot and a TV weathergirl, but it's not entirely clear to my fluffy little head.

Feel free to give as exhaustive answer as you like - because I'm confused (I still have to run my finger under the words as I read and move my lips as I read to myself).

Addendum - sorry, a follow up question.
What constitutes an 'officer'?
If I took a Forward Headquarters and the platoon command, would that be 2 officers?

I'm getting more stumped now because a 'squad level' game has a 'standard' of 250 points, which could give me about two platoons plus supports, which could be about 20 or so units (assuming a squad is a unit). With just 1D6 + (??) orders that's going to be a very static game. So maybe the platoon is the unit, plus support units as individual units?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 12:24:08 PM by Dice Roller »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Battlegroup Question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 12:55:45 PM »
I don't have my rulebook to hand but I'm 99% certain your interpretations are correct. I'm surprised that 250 point gives 20 units especially if you buy any off-table artillery or tanks. In Battlegroup assumes you will be short of command chits and have no make command decisions.

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 01:10:54 PM »
Lovely, thank you.

I totally get they may want a few command decisions, but having just 1D6 orders when you can have about 20 odd units does seem a bit mean.
And it totally could be that number.

Let's assume it's a couple of platoons. No reason why such a relatively small combat team would have field artillery support dedicated to it.
So, let's look at a 'Squad Level' game at the 'standard' size of 250 points.
Forward HQ is 24 points and is 1 unit with an officer
A platoon is 100 points and is 7 units (1 of which is also an officer) plus 4 support units - a total of 11. Two lots of those.
And I'll add a medium mortar team (company mortars) at 24 points. This is another unit.
That comes to 248 points and will have 24 units.
It generates 1D6+3 orders. Meaning I can activate anywhere from 4 to 9 units a turn.

Have I read that right?

Hmm...I may have read something wrong. But not sure. The four support units you get as part of the platoon (for 100 points) - are they part of the 100 points or bought separately? If bought separately that would bring my example, above, down to 16 units (with the same possibility of 4 - 9 orders. Still a bit mean, but getting there).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 01:22:02 PM by Dice Roller »

Online Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 02:32:51 PM »
Never played a game at 250 points, but if I have two platoons that’s a platoon level game for me regardless of whether it’s 350 points or not, so 2D6+officers.

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 02:46:18 PM »
That's a fair point - it does say that in a Squad game the Germans can have a max of just 1 infantry platoon, although Russians could have 2 (and I get that is to represent the lack of command and control in a Russian force).
OK, it's looking better.
Cheers for thoughts so far - it helps clarify things.
Any other thoughts always welcome.

Offline eddieazrael

• Student
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 03:23:18 PM »
Those support units all have to be paid for too - so you are looking at the smaller end of those numbers.   But also, you're example isn't great, in that the force you are picking is very unbalanced at that small points value - you wouldn't expect to have two platoons in a squad game (by definition!)

Offline eddieazrael

• Student
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 03:49:00 PM »
see attached image for how it works.