Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Five Parsecs From Home Forays (18/2/24 Mission 6 AAR with pictures)  (Read 6338 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Five Parsecs From Home Forays (24/12/23 Second AAR with pics)
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2023, 03:57:37 PM »
Nice battle report and storyline. That's what I like about Five Parsecs, is the way everything is placed into a proper story. Sounds like a tough run of luck, though.

Keep up the reports!

Mike Demana

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2023, 04:18:23 PM »
Nice battle report and storyline. That's what I like about Five Parsecs, is the way everything is placed into a proper story. Sounds like a tough run of luck, though.

Keep up the reports!

Mike Demana

Thank you Sir!

I really enjoy this little ruleset! The tables give me a rough idea, then I have the satisfaction to put a spin on it so it makes sense in a storyline perspective. For me, most times I play any game, the priority is having FUN doing so, not necessarily to win.

When start of Turn 2 came around, there was this Battlefield Event, Environmental Hazard. I randomly decided which piece of terrain would explode, anything having figures close to it, both mine and the enemy's and groaned when this happened! Two crew members down and out, just like that! Soldiering on with resolve (and better dice rolls  lol) I managed to turn the tide. But I really like how quickly this plays without actually being too simple. Most things is what you make of it. The mercenaries were seasoned operatives and I tried to give them tactically sound decisions. Take advantage of range, and the mercenaries, for most part, being armed with Hand Lasers (12" range) HAD to get in closer. My side having more longer range options used that to their best advantage.

I haven't used any of the Story Points so far, but I'm sure I have to soon :).
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2023, 04:13:25 PM »
Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm in between night shifts and picked up both The Trailblazer's Toolkit and The Freelancer's Handbook, which open up a LOT of nifty options and tweaks for any Five Parsecs From Home campaign. Mainly I will add variants to Enemy AI, I'm definitely going with the Dramatic Combat optional rule and Weapons tweaks with other things that catches my eye. Psionics is almost a must, but I haven't decided that for definite yet. Salvage Missions will be something I really look forward to run as well. Lots of goodies in those PDF's.

"No, no, no. THIS is a Wentura Arms GT-601. THOSE are parts for a Wentura Arms GT-600. They are NOT compatible!" Atlas was uncustomarily raising his voice at the poor delivery person who was quaking in his boots and mumbled. "Wasn't my fault guv! I'm ever so sorry! Please don't shoot me!" Atlas harrumphed and shook his head in disbelief and let the poor guy go with a stern look.

Daphnee took an immense pride in taking care of Sister Barbarita and Torbein. Under her watchful eye they bounced back very quickly. She must've run every possible test there is on them and used every piece of equipment in sick bay. The girl was a natural though, they had to admit.

Hyacinth spent a few hours under the Nano Bot. With a stern face she later on slipped out to the shooting range. She was NOT going to be caught out like this ever again. She still vividly remembered when the cover just exploded without warning.

Daphnee nips out to the market with some home cooked food and a stash of fine liquor. The culinary offerings, or rather, the lack of it, makes an older lady, Miko, tut and roll up her sleeves. She invites herself to sort out the crews dietary needs and enrols as a chef.

Archibald goes for a walk and comes across a gentleman that's obviously in the know about a lot of things. But money being tight now after the hefty "emergency tax", he is forced to decline the man's generous offerings.

(Atlas tried to repair the Boom Rifle again, but failed. Sister Barbarita and Torbein spent the Campaign Turn in Sick Bay but were ready for duty after this step. Hyacinth did some training, earning 1 XP. Daphnee traded and was rewarded with an additional Crew member. They are now 7 and bigger paychecks has to be paid  :o. Archibald Explored but I decided to hold on to the measly 5 Credits the crew have. The only silver lining at this moment is that they are doing well on the Debt front, only 8 Credits left to pay before they own the ship!)

The intercom buzzed suddenly and everyone looked at each other, they didn't expect anyone. They were a little jumpy after tangling with the mercenaries so it took a moment before Archibald answered.
"I am Councilwoman Farina, I am an appointed representative of the local government and I'm sure that you can make some space in your calendar for a little chat. Now."
The woman on the holovid was tall and elegantly dressed. Archibald knew the type well, he had spent most of his life amongst them. The privileged, the rich and the big shots. He sighed and let her in. She commanded the presence in the room immediately.

"Thank you for seeing me so quickly," the councilwoman fired off a smile worthy of a toothpaste commercial but it didn't reach her eyes, which were cold and calculating, like a shark's. She surveyed the room and apparently decided that no place was clean enough for her to sit, so she remained standing.

"We have a mutual acquaintance, Crusty. Well, you know him as Mr Sorensen. And if he vouches for your efficiency, I am definitely listening and taking notes. The thing is, as a lot of people say, I could need your help." She looked very capable and whatever she had on offer, Archibald felt that it was more like sticking your hand into a nest full of venomous adders than normal business. But he nodded for her to continue. You had to keep the local government sweet and appear cooperative.

"Harwin's World," she wasted no time in drawing up a holomap of a planet in the system.
"A quaint backwater planet, mostly agriculture and quite dull I'm sure. Up until recently. We have received concerning reports that the Converted have infiltrated the settlement." There were gasps of alarms all around! The Converted was a species that stopped at NOTHING implanting conquered worlds with their technology, assimilating them in their vast horde of interconnected half-machine beings!
"Let me guess. You need US to go out there, ascertain the situation and deal with it," Archibald leaned against the bulkhead, the heavy Beam Pistol in a low slung hip holster.
"In a nutshell, absolutely correct! Bravo!" Councilwoman Farina gave a slight applause.
"We would normally not consider freelancers like yourselves for this, we prefer more... reliable and established actors. However, as I said, Crusty vouched for you so I'm willing to take a gamble."
"And it also gives you 100% deniability if things go pearshaped," Archibald thought.
"We will pay well but more to the point. We can do carrot or the stick, I'm equally happy with either. But I find people work less well and are far less dependable if you employ the stick. So... I'm sure you're happy to work for the Government and earn it's thanks. In return, things might be easier for you. Say fuel costs, docking fees, licenses... Let's work together in the nicest friendliest ways and I won't have to employ that VERY big stick I have at my disposal!" There came that bright flashing dead smile again.

With those words, the Councilwoman apparently had stayed long enough in this dump and saw herself out...

(Rolling up the next Encounters, I thought, storywise it makes a lot more sense like this: The Local Government has an INVASION threat and that kind of trumps anything else that is on offer!  :o. Looking into the details: The Danger Pay +1Cr, has to be done within 1-2 Turns, Condition was Previous Successful Patron Mission, hence Mr Sorensen reference.

The opposition is 4 Converted Infiltrators. But to make it more interesting, I shall pre-battle send off Hyacinth, who's a Security Bureau Agent on a recce solo mission supported by the added complexity rules. IF she succeeds, she will be placed in Infiltration position at start of Turn 1 on the table, failure she'll be a captive and needed rescuing! I will set aside a pool of 2 Storypoints for this little thing.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 04:54:56 PM by Legionnaire »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2023, 04:37:47 PM »
Really enjoying this tale, and the frequency with which you're playing is putting me to shame :(

Couple of things - what did you use for the custom cards? They got me looking for software, and I found nanDeck, which I'd never heard of, but looks interesting - https://www.nandeck.com/

Also, there is a third pdf if you're looking to complete the set - https://www.modiphius.net/products/five-parsecs-from-home-expansion-3-fixer-s-guidebook-pdf

Looking forward to the next instalment  :D

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2023, 04:51:20 PM »
Really enjoying this tale, and the frequency with which you're playing is putting me to shame :(

Couple of things - what did you use for the custom cards? They got me looking for software, and I found nanDeck, which I'd never heard of, but looks interesting - https://www.nandeck.com/

Also, there is a third pdf if you're looking to complete the set - https://www.modiphius.net/products/five-parsecs-from-home-expansion-3-fixer-s-guidebook-pdf

Looking forward to the next instalment  :D

Thank you for your kind words Sir!

When I play a game I am usually more interested in putting the games together in a fun narrative, and this ruleset is tailored to do that remarkably well!

As for the frequency. I had some unusually long "me" time over the past days so made the most of it. Striking while the iron's hot and all that. I hope that I can manage one game per week and aim to initially do 10 Campaign turns to see how it goes. It takes a little while to generate and roll on the tables and put the story together. But the games themselves run fairly quickly so it all works well together.

For the character cards you mean? I have a very old freeware which is called Magic Set Editor. Very basic but works incredibly well for this purpose. You can basically put in whatever you like, scan a picture in and job's a good 'un.

I am aware of the Fixer's Guidebook. However, it seems to be more geared towards "gang and criminals" so I decided to give it a miss this time around, maybe for the next run.

Thanks for the encouragements and stay tuned :).

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
Re: Five Parsecs From Home Forays (25/12/23 Game 3 Campaign Turn and Prelude)
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2023, 05:14:14 PM »
Another great game. I'm loving these.

On the fixer's handbook et al, there's a hard copy of the existing three additional rule books coming in early 2024. Modiphius are taking advance orders at the moment.

I've paid up for it and got the pdf's of the existing stuff as a bonus with both hard copy and pdf of the new compendium promised for March 2024 iirc.

That said, I have enough trouble remembering the rules from the main book!
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2023, 01:32:47 AM »
The story continues to entice, and darn it if you aren't making me want to go back into my library and pull out my copy of the rules, again...!  lol

Keep the adventures coming...

Mike Demana

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2023, 09:08:40 AM »
Another great game. I'm loving these.

On the fixer's handbook et al, there's a hard copy of the existing three additional rule books coming in early 2024. Modiphius are taking advance orders at the moment.

I've paid up for it and got the pdf's of the existing stuff as a bonus with both hard copy and pdf of the new compendium promised for March 2024 iirc.

That said, I have enough trouble remembering the rules from the main book!

Thank you kindly, glad you're enjoying the crew's adventures. Many thanks for the encouragements.

Regarding the rulebooks, I wasn't aware of this. Do you know what the new compendium is going to contain perchance?

I actually think that there are not that many rules. I like the freedom and room to maneuver but the rules that are there do a very good job without having to flick through the book to check up some obscure condition hidden on page umpteenth...

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2023, 09:10:44 AM »
The story continues to entice, and darn it if you aren't making me want to go back into my library and pull out my copy of the rules, again...!  lol

Keep the adventures coming...

Mike Demana

Thank you very much Mike! I enjoy playing the games and putting together the narrative and especially glad you're feeling a little inspired  :).

I will indeed. There will another adventure later this week hopefully.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2023, 10:09:31 AM »
The Arbiter, a sleek ship with minimal armaments. More suited to comfort and style than combat. She had served with distinction in the Diplomatic Corps, and as such was fitted with luxurious and aesthetic environs. Archibald had a list as long as his arm with "improvements" suggested by Atlas. Archibald's uncle Rufus had kindly lent him this vessel when the young man was forced to seek employment to support himself.

They had plotted a course for Harwin's World, and as it still was in the same system the journey shouldn't take too long. Everyone were enjoying the peace and quiet, settling in comfortably. Suddenly, the comms warbled and a distorted panic stricken voice came through...

"...DAY...MAY... This... erchant...el... The Demure... aken met...r hit... Reactor...elt..down... please assist! MAYDAY...Merchant vessel..." static cut the communication short.
"Captain," Hyacinth spoke from the helm, she happened to have a full piloting license.
"the vessel The Demure is on our way and it sounds like they are in deep trouble."
"What are we waiting for? Full speed ahead Hyacinth. Engage!"
The Arbiter shuddered slightly as Hyacinth plotted a new course and opened up the throttle...

(The Harwin's World lies in the same star system so I decided to pay a measly 1 Credit for fuel and maintenance, but I still rolled on the Starship Travel Events Table. Distress Call with a 5 on the D6. Drive malfunction and a crew member must succeed on a Savvy 7+ Test. Three tries but if I fail the ship explodes and my ship get's damaged...)

Hyacinth smoothly docked with the merchant vessel The Demure. The airlock hissed as Atlas, toolkit in hand was boarding the other ship. Injured panic stricken crew members pointed him in the right direction and he wasted no time. He established a commlink with the main computer and analyzed the situation. Skillfully and calmly he shut down the overheated coils and rerouted the excess heat to the engines to be dispersed of into space. The alarms quiet down and the danger passed.

The overjoyed crew all shook their hands and the captain presented them with gifts, he wouldn't take no for an answer. After the parted ways and resumed their course for Harwin's World, the crew opened up the coffers and were very pleased with the gifts presented to them! They definitely would come in handy!

(Atlas, an Engineer, gets +2 to rolls when he tries to repair something, so he was the most logical choice for this, even though Hyacinth also have +2 due to a higher Savvy. I need to roll 7+ to succeed but have three tries. For story reasons, Atlas was more suitable. He managed to save the day and the crew received 3 rolls on the Gear Loot table as thanks!

1 Hover Board (9" move but can't take a combat action in that round)
2 Combat Armour (Armour Save 5+, most welcome!)

Not long after, Harwin's World comes into view. A lush small planet with some settlements, mainly of agricultural value. Hyacinth parks the ship well out of the way and enters orbit on a trajectory which will minimize the risk that their approach is detected.

"With no disrespect, this is MY job," Hyacinth declares as-a-matter-of-fact.
"I finished among the top FIVE of graduates at the Academy in my year and my speciality is Deep Undercover/ Intelligence Gathering. Neither of you have any training in situations like these. You will give me 72 standard hours to integrate myself amongst the population, pick up the trail and find the infiltrators hideout. I will provide wellfare checks every 12 hours and if I have missed two check-ins in a row, assume the worst!"

She made some quick but very effective changes to her appearance, clothing and her whole demeanor changed. Before them stood now a farmer, weary and tired but happy with their work and contributions to the society. Hyacinth tucked her vibroblade away and hid her Military Rifle amongst her belongings.

The crew waited nervously and were cooped up for three long days. Hyacinth had given them very brief information, she was homing in on the infiltrators and couldn't risk discovery.

"I'm in position! It looks like they are getting ready to make a move now! You have to make haste! I have set up a pulse beacon, home in on my signal. I will create a diversion to cover your approach. You have 15 minutes so get moving before they suspect anything!"...

(I decided that, to infiltrate the Converted Infiltrator group was Very Difficult (7+), they are alert and machine beings, kind of like the Borg in Star Trek. I had set 2 Story Points aside for re-rolls. If she succeeded, Hyacinth would be set up in Cover, 12" from the centre of the table in Ambush position. If she failed, she would be captured and needing freeing! I spent one Story Point on a re-roll and had a success!!!

Next time, BATTLE 3!!!!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2023, 10:31:54 AM »
Regarding the rulebooks, I wasn't aware of this. Do you know what the new compendium is going to contain perchance?

The compendium is available here - https://www.modiphius.net/collections/adventure-wargame-winter-collection/products/five-parsecs-from-home-compendium-bug-hunt

The bug hunt stuff is new, but otherwise it just looks like a collection of the existing PDFs

YOU WILL RECEIVE INDIVIDUAL PDFS FOR EACH OF THE COMPENDIUM SECTIONS INITIALLY, AND THE FINAL COMPILED PDF WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE SENT OUT TO YOU IN JANUARY 2024.
You’ve seen the stars, but have you ever wondered what is truly possible when we are out there in the black among alien suns?

The Five Parsecs From Home Compendium gives you all three expansions for Five Parsecs From Home collected into a single print volume for the first time, along with the fully updated standalone game Bug Hunt.

The new edition of Bug Hunt includes all the mechanics from the original, updated to fit into the core game rules. This includes features like alien spawn points, alien sub types like the spitter and screamer and alien leaders like the driver or lancer. With 6 sub-types, 6 leader types and 16 alien species to fight, there is a lot of scope for players who enjoy painting, building and converting cool miniatures.

Your troopers can be supported by any of 12 support units from the scientific survey team to a team of tough K’Erin assault troops.

Bug Hunt is a full campaign game with character progression as your troopers advance through their careers. You can even carry over characters from both games - take your crew members from Five Parsecs From Home on a Bug Hunt or vice versa, allowing your characters to experience a whole new level of adventures.

The only question that remains is whether you forgot to activate the security grid. They do say the vent crawlers are active in this sector...

The three expansions for Five Parsecs From Home allow you to experience a wide range of new adventures but also tailor the game to fit your vision of space beyond the Fringe, offering new characters, new mechanics, new options and new missions.

Trailblazer’s Toolkit offers a new introductory campaign, random name tables, new options to tailor the difficulty of the game, PVP and player co-op scenarios, new AI action tables, enemy deployment variables, escalating battles and the fearsome elite-level enemies.
Freelancer’s Handbook offers two new alien species: The Krag and the Skulkers, psionics, new equipment, non-miniatures combat rules. Expanded missions and quest rules, fringe world strife mechanics, expanded ship loan rules and the salvage job scenario type.
Fixer’s Guidebook offers terrain tables, additional rules for injuries both on and off the battlefield, a grid based movement system, faction mechanics and the stealth and street fight scenario types.
228 pages. Full-colour. Royal-size. Hardcover.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2023, 12:57:29 PM »
Loving the narrative mate! 🚀
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2023, 09:44:31 PM »
Loving the narrative mate! 🚀

Cheers mate! More to come in a day or two!

I really enjoy playing the games and see what awaits the crew of The Arbiter :D.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2023, 11:42:18 PM »
great stuff all 'round.

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2023, 02:23:05 PM »
"A job well done," Councilwoman Farina said with a smile on the holoscreen.
"your effort is sure to send a clear message to the Hive Mind of the Converted, that Harwin's World is NOT something they can have. There will probably be more incidents, but the situation is stable, for now. The agreed upon sum is transferred to your account as we speak." Councilwoman Farina dropped the call.

"That went rather well, I wonder who this belongs to though," Archibald bemused, holding a holophotograph of a young man and an older lady, mother and son perhaps?

Coming back from Harwin's World, Daphnee encountered a lady who wanted her to retrieve something of hers if she happened to be in the neighbourhood and Sister Barbarita had a stern gentleman producing a file of someone. Stabbing an angry finger at the file, the man promised a significant monetary reward if she could see to it that this particular individual got eliminated.

Archibald spent most of his spare time looking for more items to his spacerock collection, that was small but growing.

The enemy Lost Heart in Turn 2, and storywise it makes sense that being a scout/ recce unit they are not supposed to get into protracted battle situations.

The crew earned 6 Credits in total.

Personal Trinket was found on the battlefield. Worth 2 Credits if the crew passes a 9+ check when going to a new planet and finding the owner of it.

Both Daphnee and Sister Barbarita got a roll on the Exploration Table as the crew had lots of free time (Campaign Event).

Archibald picked up an Unusual Hobby (Character Event) and earned 1 Story Point.

With all the XP, Archibald, Daphnee and Sister Barbarita got +1 Combat, Atlas got +1 Toughness (now max 4 for an Engineer).