Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:17:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Modular hellscape/dungeon table - foam & 3D printing (Jan 18th - new layout)  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Because I'm a masochist, I'm in the middle of not 1, 2 or even 3 full modular boards. No, I'm doing 4.

I've covered the other two here:
A million foam pieces: fantasy city modular board
and
here:
Modular 28mm scifi board

The 3rd is a generic outside board, will talk about that later.

All 4 are the same - a 3D-printed Open Lock base with foam inside, sometimes with some 3D printed parts on top.

But my 4th is a modular hellscape. I've been at for more than a year. I even have a failed BSC 2023 thread about one piece I've not built. So far, I've built in two main batches - the 1st set of tiles in late 2022 and then another batch late this year.

Here's the first batch I built last in 2022, both in their unpainted and initial painted form. The tiles are a mixture of foam with some cast plaster molds from Woodland Scenics, then with a scultamold over top
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 08:24:51 PM by Burgundavia »

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: Modular foam hellscape
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 09:41:28 PM »
A few notes about what I found as i did this:

1. Playability matters.
My first set of tiles lacks a great deal of open space and has some slopes that were too steep to stand miniatures. I corrected these initial tiles by knocking a bunch of them back, will post photos of that

2. Sculptamold needs to be well mixed & should be coloured
The first set of tiles again I made the mistake of not mixing the DIY sculptamold well enough, so some of it flakes away. As a consquence it chips to white. This is not good

3. Storing these pieces is a chore
With the pieces and all their vertical elements, storing them in a major headache. Need to figure out a better way to do that

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: Modular foam hellscape
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 09:58:06 PM »
Earlier this year I also took part in Encounter Terrain's last 10x10 challenge. These are a challenge in which you build any piece of terrain that is 10cm by 10cm (or 4" by 4"). For that challenge given that there was no height limit, I decided to build a tower. Sadly that challenge ended right as I started to paint as my piece developed a crack that I only recently fixed.

Like the other tiles, this was a mixture of foam with some cast plaster pieces and then scultamold overtop. I also added some bolts into the bottom to give it up some weight to make it hard to tip over.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:05:51 PM by Burgundavia »

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: Modular hellscape table - foam & 3D printing
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 08:00:11 PM »
Got a bunch of paint on these over the past few weeks. They are painted and had some accents added.

For the paint, I did a bunch of red dry brushing and then I used a purple ink through my airbrush from the stones. The writing on the stones is a gold paint pen.

For the warm stone, that is a mixture of airbrushed craft paints and inks. I need to do an oil wash to warm it up to match the older piece you can see in the photo (the smaller 2x2 stone piece)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Modular hellscape table - foam & 3D printing (Jan 1st - now w paint)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 08:18:46 PM »
Because I'm a masochist, I'm in the middle of not 1, 2 or even 3 full modular boards. No, I'm doing 4.
In for a penny, in for a pound right? :D

I really like the flag stone pieces; both the 2' square piece and the n4" sq. Really nice warm, stone tones.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 09:46:07 PM »
Great textures on those rock pillars Burg, looks amazing. Can't believe you have 4 modular boards on the go. Just crazy man.  o_o

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 11:08:34 PM »
Great textures on those rock pillars Burg, looks amazing. Can't believe you have 4 modular boards on the go. Just crazy man.  o_o

Texture is just DIY scultamold (toilet paper soaked, ground, dried and then shredded). It makes a wonderful  bumpy texture. Easy to do as well. I mixed it with ink and paint to make it something other than white, didn't seem to have affected strength.

As for 4 tables, my wife might have some choicer words for me about the space required

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 11:11:01 PM »
In for a penny, in for a pound right? :D

I really like the flag stone pieces; both the 2' square piece and the n4" sq. Really nice warm, stone tones.

Ya, the warm flagstone is a lovely palette. Now if only I can fully remember how I did them again...

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
The problem with building a modular table is that it is modular. So you can just keep expanding it. As our group is playing through the Rangers of the Shadow Deep modular Temple of Madness but in Sellswords (thread here), I thought I would do up the 2nd encounter with a bit of a twist.

The default module has 4 pit traps for ghouls - I'm going to do 8 pipes with closing lids for skeletons (green circles). The red circles will be capstans that PCs can close 2 pipes at random, while the light blue circle will be a well of souls (a 4x4 piece I'm building for Encounter 10x10 again).

The well of souls and the strip on the top/bottom will be in the hellscape, the rest in the warm dungeon stone I've already done

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
3 days of hard work has got most of the new board primed at least. Lots more work to do to get it table ready, let alone fully painted.

The board is a mixture of 2 levels - 7mm tall (the default OpenLock height) and 1"/25.4mm tall, which most of the rest of the hell board is.

The hexagonal octagonal bit is my well of lost souls - it is a mixture of a 3D printed well, on a piece of foam on the bottom (unseen) in a 3D printed base (the white piece).

The small block objects on the unprimed pieces are capstans- it's a scan of a real capstan I found and printed. Those close the skeleton pits.

As with the old parts of hell, I've added DIY sculptamold to make the texture.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 06:35:07 PM by Burgundavia »

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • I'd rather be gaming!
Really loving watching you vision come to life, it’ going to be stunning when finished and fantastic to play on, I am in awe!

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Looking good, I can't wait to see more!