Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:21:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690847
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A wargamer’s year in review  (Read 624 times)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
A wargamer’s year in review
« on: December 25, 2023, 06:53:05 AM »
Happy Christmas. I have put up a Christmas Day post on the blog that looks at some gaming highlights of the year and that just discusses wargaming in general.

It’s a bit self indulgent, but if you find a spare moment to get away from it all and want a bit a wargame stuff, then please drop by.

Kind Regards, Norm.

Link;

https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2023/12/12-days-of-christmas-wargaming-year-2023.html

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: A wargamer’s year in review
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 03:00:23 PM »
A very complete review of the year!  Thanks for sharing. 

I think all wargamers should do something similar at the end of the year, and create a goal list at the start.  They shouldn't be "rules" per say but more guidelines to help keep you from scope creep on your projects and gaming.  I find it very helpful to keep me focused. 

I also did a year end review, and this seems like a good place to link to it.  Perhaps others can do the same.  If you object, let me know I can edit.  However, since I encourage all gamers to do it, it makes sense that I should make goals and do end of year reviews too.

For those inclined:
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2023/12/random-recap-of-2023.html

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 04:42:23 PM »
The more the merrier 🙂 visiting now.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 05:04:24 PM »
Wow, I’ve read through both of the above end-of-year posts and they make mine look amateurish. Ha! Well, 2023 was the first time I did a “goal list” of sorts, as well as and end of the year wrap up, so maybe I’ll elaborate more on the next one. Thanks for the great reads, gents, and congrats on such a strong hobby year!

Either way, I did post a little something, but it was posted in another thread. I’ll move it here if this is the gonna be the central repo for this sort of thing.

Reposted:

I turn 49 at the end of the month. I'm getting to a point where I want to slow down the number of projects I need to paint. There's a few more goals I have for my life that I have yet to achieve that I want to give some time to. At the beginning of the year, I decided on two things:

1) To no longer sell any painted mini. I use to sell painted minis to fund future projects. Now... I'll just keep what's already done because I don't want future projects to paint. Maybe down the road at some point, I'll end up finding uses for what I've already sunk hours into.

2) Limit the current active project list to 5 lines:
Blood Bowl
Battletech
28mm Feudal Japan
1/72 Post Apoc
1/72 (or 15mm) fantasy/historic

I'm not working on anything beyond the above. Some of them are almost 100% done. I figure Blood Bowl and Battletech have proven themselves to have legs. Both are running on almost 30 year old rulesets, that I enjoy, and both have healthy grassroot communities. They are the two games I'll be able to find local communities of wherever I find myself. The other three are games and settings that'll I'll provide the sides for and host at the house. These are more passion projects with models that I want to enjoy working on.

2023 was _very_ successful for me. Here's the end of the year blog post: https://wyrdstonesandtacklezones.com/2023/12/23/2023-in-review/

TLDR: I painted about 178 models and lots of terrain/dressing type objects.

It was a fantastic year. I plan to have another goal list for 2024 and if I'm as productive in 2024 as I was in 2023 I have a great shot of wrapping up all my projects. I'm hoping that by the end of 2024 the only thing I have left to paint in the future is the odd singular mini here or there. A BB star player. maybe a Ronin Sword for Hire or Dragon Rampant character. Maybe a piece of terrain. That sort of thing. No more "projects" to undertake, just the occasional, singular model.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 09:16:29 PM »
I noticed a few other year end reviews in Workbench.  These are some well documented year end reviews. I was happy to just start painting again this last quarter finishing 33 figures for my pulp collection.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;