Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689758
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Valor&Steel&Flesh question  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Valor&Steel&Flesh question
« on: November 15, 2009, 12:59:38 AM »
How do others of you rate the guns? I mean, they have light, medium, and large, but I don't know which they mean to be what. For example, I armed my Norwegian 'Nefs with 75mm Guns, 77mm Guns, 12lb Quick Firing Guns, and a 6' Naval Rifle. Would they be Rapid Fire or light? Or medium? Or what? They don't give any examples for me to work from, and I haven't caught up and that eras weaponry enough to know which would be what. Heck, suggested reading for figuring that out would be good, too.

Help!

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
Re: Valor&Steel&Flesh question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 02:35:17 AM »
We don't really spend much time on it. I just look at the vehicle and say "Hmm, Big tank, big gun" We do have a holdover from playing Rampant Colonialism in that anything under 90mm is a Light Gun and anything 150 mm and over is a Heavy Gun. Mediums Guns falling in between the two.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:42:19 AM »
Suggested reading... to add flavor to the typical VSF genre I would suggest taking the time to read thru the on line thread of

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

Provides many ideas to be sure :)
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:51:14 AM »
Suggested reading... to add flavor to the typical VSF genre I would suggest taking the time to read thru the on line thread of

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

Provides many ideas to be sure :)

Very familiar with it - one of the reasons I got started on VSF.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:55:43 AM »
We don't really spend much time on it. I just look at the vehicle and say "Hmm, Big tank, big gun" We do have a holdover from playing Rampant Colonialism in that anything under 90mm is a Light Gun and anything 150 mm and over is a Heavy Gun. Mediums Guns falling in between the two.

That helps, at least. So would you guys rate Reviresco's 6" as a Medium, then?

I am going to be introducing the system to a group of fervent historical gamers - mostly Sword and Flame players - and want to at least be partially able to justify what I am rating the guns as. Also, in your experience, is the rapid-fire gun really freakin' overpowered? The templates just seem really, well, oversized to me, and the idea of several side by side...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 10:09:01 AM »
6" = approx 150mm, so that's borderline. If you are going to use 8" or larger guns, I'd say have it as medium, otherwise if it's the biggest you have use it as large.

Just an opinion based on what seems reasonable to me, as I don't have V&S&F as yet   :(

6" would probably count as large in WW1 or WW2 land actions, but medium in naval terms, however I'm nowhere near an expert on 20thC, so I could well be wrong.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »
6" = approx 150mm, so that's borderline. If you are going to use 8" or larger guns, I'd say have it as medium, otherwise if it's the biggest you have use it as large.

Just an opinion based on what seems reasonable to me, as I don't have V&S&F as yet   :(

6" would probably count as large in WW1 or WW2 land actions, but medium in naval terms, however I'm nowhere near an expert on 20thC, so I could well be wrong.

Well, heck. I could just call it merium and go from there, then. That way my converted cannon from Games Workshop can look like Heavies, and not "holy crap that's a monster".

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 04:49:29 PM »
It's pretty rare in our VS&F games for  a vehicle to mount anything bigger than a light gun. I

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 02:42:50 AM »
I don't know the implications of light, medium, and heavy guns in the rules you are using, though I guess I'll find out on Saturday!  But for games with individually based figures in a colonial or Victorian setting, I would think that "light guns" would range from 25mm to 65mm, including things like 37mm revolving cannons, and guns rated as 2 pounders and 6 pounders (57mm), basically, very light damage and blast radius, but perhaps firing three times as fast as "heavy guns."  I would think that "medium guns" would include 70mm to 140mm guns, 12 pounders, 18 pounders, and 25 pounders.  At the lower end of the scale some of the 12 pounders, 18 pounders, and guns 70mm to 105mm might be rated as "quick firing guns" in terms of rate of fire in ship to ship action, perhaps getting twice the shots of "heavy guns."
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 04:37:52 AM »
It's pretty rare in our VS&F games for  a vehicle to mount anything bigger than a light gun. I

I am betting you meant to put more here!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 04:48:15 AM »
Just not deleting all of an incomplete thought. My further comment was to be something along the line of "I think you could go either way, medium or heavy with that one"

For Warrenbruhn: The basic differences between the classes of guns are range, size of blast radius, and the time required to reload. When we play with rotary cannon, which is rare, I always treat it as a Medium gun but having the same tendency to jam as a gatling gun.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 05:15:46 AM »
Just not deleting all of an incomplete thought. My further comment was to be something along the line of "I think you could go either way, medium or heavy with that one"

For Warrenbruhn: The basic differences between the classes of guns are range, size of blast radius, and the time required to reload. When we play with rotary cannon, which is rare, I always treat it as a Medium gun but having the same tendency to jam as a gatling gun.

So you have the tendency to ignore the way they use Rapid Fire Guns? I felt they were a bit powerful, so I decided not to use them in a game I am running. If you guys have any house rules put together, I would love to see them.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »
I haven't really used rapid fire guns. To be honest, with its Impact classification, I wasn't really certain as to what type of weapon he was trying to represent.

I don't think we've come up with much in the way of house rules. After the game we played on Friday we talked about some kind of Peril roll for lone characters running about unattached to units. In other rulesets we have played, whole units were either not allowed or had their effectiveness reduced when firing at lone, character type figures. We were discussing having loose characters and exploring officers make a check on activation modified by the number of units within firing range to see whether or not he gets shot at.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
Yeah, I looked at Rapid Fire and originally thought that it looked like a workable weapon - and then when we used it, we realized that for anything unarmored it was far more powerful than a heavy gun. 2 4" x 8" templates that do not scatter and are set side by side if they both hit? Holy infantry smasher, Batman!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 12:07:05 AM »
It's really not fun to set up beautiful figures on the board only to have to take them all off within two or three turns due to overpowered ordnance.  Experienced that in a Russian Civil War game last year.  Would have been more fun just to leave the figures off the table and admire the great paint jobs there.  Saw the same thing a few years ago when a fabulously painted unit of German schutzetruppe in cover were all blasted off the table in two turns by an offshore cruiser with a template of six adjacent round blast zones for 152mm guns.  What was the point?