Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:46:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nuln Oil… what happened?!  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Nuln Oil… what happened?!
« on: December 26, 2023, 06:59:57 PM »
It’s bad enough the Citadel shade pots are in these smaller pot sizes, but the latest Nuln Oil I bought seems a bit more translucent than what I use to experience in the tall pots. Quite a bit more translucent. It’s throwing off the look on my current models to where I have to do multiple coats to get them close to older models.

Did I get a bad pot or do I need to look elsewhere for the OG Nuln Oil-like depth?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Nuln Oil… what happened?!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 07:49:14 PM »
It's not something I use frequently but I did discover (quite by accident) that there are actually two 'Nuln Oils'. There's a standard one and a gloss version. One seemed a bit more opaque than the other, although which was which I cannot recall.

Vallejo, MiG and AK make better washes IMO.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 08:00:26 PM »
I believe they reformulated the washes, bringing then closer to contrast paints.

I am still on the originals, and I'm in no hurry to try the new ones

From https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/13/a-new-era-of-paints-new-contrast-colours-reformulated-shades-and-our-best-white-spray-ever/

Not only have all of the existing Shades been reformulated – during the process of refining these recipes, the Citadel Colour technicians were inspired to create seven entirely new paints.*

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 08:17:58 PM »
This may be the explanation

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 09:19:01 PM »
I experienced the same problem 8 or 10 months ago, when I bought a new pot. I was able to salvage some value from the new under-pigmented pot by transferring some of it into the old one (which wasn’t empty but had lost enough medium that it was acting more like paint than a wash). The mix was more like what I was after, but I won’t be buying GW’s washes again. It’s a shame because their previous version performed quite well.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 11:16:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm familiar with their Nuln Oil GLOSS and still have plenty in a pot of that, but it's the regular Nuln Oil that just doesn't seem up to the task anymore.

Thanks all for the links.

I guess Army Painter's "Dark Tone" is the equivalent to the original Nuln Oil. Can anyone confirm?

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 11:27:01 PM »

I guess Army Painter's "Dark Tone" is the equivalent to the original Nuln Oil. Can anyone confirm?

Personally I’ve always found that the Army Painter Dark wash better than the Nuln Oil stuff, never understood the fuss about it  lol

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 04:00:53 AM »
Quote from: Jack Hooligan link=topic=143951.msg1837320#msg1837320
[/quote

Yes, very close. A bit glossy which I do not really like but otherwise a good replacement.  I have actually been playing around with thinned Contrast Paints as washes and I like the matte finish.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 12:55:31 PM »
Personally I’ve always found that the Army Painter Dark wash better than the Nuln Oil stuff, never understood the fuss about it  lol

Totally agree. The Army Painter are the equivalent of the old GW washes, like Devlan Mud (Strong Tone), Badab Black (Dark Tone) and Gryphonne Sepia (Light Tone). These are way better than Nuln Oil. I bought a pot of Nuln Oil and wasn't impressed at all. Just a very thin wash.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline jamie.grinstead

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 05:16:43 PM »
It’s bad enough the Citadel shade pots are in these smaller pot sizes, but the latest Nuln Oil I bought seems a bit more translucent than what I use to experience in the tall pots. Quite a bit more translucent. It’s throwing off the look on my current models to where I have to do multiple coats to get them close to older models.

Did I get a bad pot or do I need to look elsewhere for the OG Nuln Oil-like depth?

Don't waste your money with Citadel, it's expensive and small. If you are looking for the same paint buy this wash ink https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/acrylic-inks/773-wash-ink-andalusian-earth.html which has the same brown color and does the same effect.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 02:12:55 AM »
Also, try out the Vallejo black and brown washes. The 200ml size jars messy b/c they foam up when you shake them. So get some eye droppers and use them that way.

Vallejo Pale Grey is useful to dilute the black wash, and goodish for shading white.

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/