Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:34:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Static grass erection making thingie  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
Static grass erection making thingie
« on: January 01, 2024, 10:17:42 AM »
Happy new year for everyone!

I always had a problem with static grass, especially with the longer type. The grass patches made with it look like someone stomped on them, a very few pieces of grass actually point towards the sky. Applying static electricity is supposed to solve this problem (this is why it is called static grass after all), but how to apply that? The school experiment with a plastic ruler does not really work, I heard that there are applicator devices, but the one I found is a bit too expensive unless I am a professional modeler.

So, what solutions do you use? Anything to recommend?
Thanks for the help in advance!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Static grass erection making thingie
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 10:24:15 AM »
You can get reasonable applicators for around £20.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 10:25:53 AM »
You can get reasonable applicators for around £20.

Cool, thanks, where?

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 10:28:10 AM »
The easiest way is to use an applicator but as you mentioned, they are quite expensive. If you're good with electronics, there are guides out there how to build one. I tried that, but I don't know enough about electronics and failed miserably.

There's also small applicators that you shake/squeeze out the grass through but they are kinda bad, but cheap.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 10:45:32 AM »
Static grass was always way above my ability, so I just go with sand :(

However, Amazon has a load of applicators, mostly nudging up to the £30 mark. This one, however, is just on £20 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Applicator-Electrostatic-Miniature-Architecture-Modelling/dp/B0C4BJVDFF/ref=sr_1_8

I have no idea if it's any good, but it's worth a look

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 11:28:34 AM »
Actually, it’s very easy to make one using an electric fly swatter (tennis racket type) and a metal tea strainer.  Plenty of YouTube vids out there………commercial ones tend to be very dear for what they are.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 09:35:15 PM »
Thanks for the info! I found this one from greenstuffworld, for 90 Euros. Anyone tried this? Guess the trademark itself means a few Euros :)
https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/static-grass-applicator/2446-portable-electrostatic-flocking-machine.html

I had positive experiences with colouring static grass in my Turnip28 project, so my plan is to make my grass tufts on my own. I just need it to stand up :) This way the price of the applicator shall be returned over time. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 09:00:07 AM »
Watch something like this first before you pay GSW.  It really is simple and will come in at less than twenty quid……

To use it just attach the ground wire to the item to be flocked using the croc clip and press the button to activate the electrical field.

Offline Cinder

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 09:48:18 AM »
Bit late to this, but  I agree with a lot of the other commenters regarding building your own. Here in the antipodes, professional applicators cost an arm and a leg (Thats roughly 200 Antipodean zsloty).

I made my own following this video, its serviceable and won't kill you if you mess up, the electric shock is comparable to the one you might receive from an electric fence. It works fine with 4mm & 6mm static grass, haven't tried anything longer though.   

I advise you to watch the video through a couple of times and take notes before attempting the build and a hot glue gun will be your best friend when assembling it. I borrowed a soldering iron from my local tool library to complete the build.

A few tips from my experience with the applicator:

1 - Make a "hopper" to contain the static grass, some sort of plastic container above the tea strainer - I used a hummus pottle and lid. This will reduce spillage and means that if you accidentally shock yourself you don't throw static grass across the room  :-[.   

2 - Make a handle for the "probe" from dowel or some other wood, this will lessen the chances of accidental shocks  ::).

3 - Make the wire leading to the "probe" as long as possible, I made mine quite short initially and found it quite frustrating. Make the "probe" replaceable as it will gather adhesive and static grass - I use an alligator clip and a safety pins.

4 - I don't think this device is creating a static charge as such, I think it works by making the static grass want to "complete the circuit". I find electricity and electronics to be as mysterious as black magic, so if anyone has some knowledge on this I would be interested to hear their thoughts.

5 - Moisture and proximity are your friend - Water down whichever adhesive you are using to roughly 50/50, work on small areas as promptly as possible, get the tea strainer as close to the surface AND the probe as you possibly can WITHOUT "completing the circuit".

6 - Multiple passes may be required, but this is good as it allows you to blend colours and get more convincing results   

6 - Tufty tufts can be made on silicon baking paper. Just dot on watered down PVA and make a few passes. Leave them to dry and they should peel off easily. I added some cheap paints to my PVA mix to avoid large clearish blobs being visible on the base of the tufts - Choose paint colours that will match your basing or terrain colour scheme.   

Give it a go, its not hard and if you only want to make tufts it should suffice.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 10:54:44 AM »
Thanks for the info! I found this one from greenstuffworld, for 90 Euros. Anyone tried this? Guess the trademark itself means a few Euros :)
https://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/static-grass-applicator/2446-portable-electrostatic-flocking-machine.html

Looks exactly like those on ebay for £30 so you're probably paying more than a few euros for the trademark  ;)
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 10:58:11 AM »
Actually, it’s very easy to make one using an electric fly swatter (tennis racket type) and a metal tea strainer.  Plenty of YouTube vids out there………commercial ones tend to be very dear for what they are.

The commercial one that OSHIROmodels linked to is £16.65 including postage.

I’ve previous made my own, with the end result looking pretty similar, and probably paid about £12-£15 for the parts. So £16.65 for someone acquiring the bits and putting them together does seem like good value (especially now that Maplin Electronics is no more).
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2024, 04:00:30 PM »
Wasn’t aware of those.  Agreed though, top pick 👍. Much easier than making your own and has a cap to seal the strainer as well.