Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:39:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Doggerland Front, how to do?  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Doggerland Front, how to do?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2024, 09:27:14 AM »
This may be helpful.  Elevations on page 13 and bottom makeup on page 27.  https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/media/livacuk/mefepo/documents/wp1/atlases/NS_Atlas_English.pdf

Also, here you will find a map that supports your idea for low draft river operations.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43711762   

Looks like the Norwegians will have some role in all this.  Viking gunboats, perhaps?
That map is extremely useful.

The surface material is also interesting.
Sand and pebble areas would probably transform to dune (not Dune) type terrain (especially the sand) with long salt tolerant grasses.
Muddy areas might well remain mud for quite a while, salt marshes, probably with areas of dried mud over still wet mud (humans might be able to traverse it, machines not so much).

What has not been described (or I have forgotten it) is the manner in which Doggerland has been uncovered.

If the surface has risen then there will be a lot of other geological changes in the surroundings - rivers might reverse their flow and the disturbed seas inundate the land. It would be like isostatic recoil on speed.

The alternative would be the water went away. This also would have consequences elsewhere.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2024, 09:30:59 AM »
Inquiring minds must know. In this alternative universe does Grimsby become a Las Vegas like entertainment capital perched on the edge of a vast desert?
That is far outside the probability curve of any possible alternative universe. Even unreality has its limits.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2024, 10:24:53 AM »
I like the idea of river based operations for AWT - makes a lot of sense to have rivers due to the nature of the sea bed. And current wet land areas are often traversed by boat. If large channels / rivers were created then these would likely be strategically important for rapid movement. Feels a bit like railways in the RCW.

I think in the AWT lore, the sea level has dropped due to the destruction of the moon - and then very different influences on sea levels and tides. I don’t recall anything about where the water ends up…

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2024, 10:40:23 AM »

Offline Steelwraith

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2024, 02:27:10 PM »
Well, here is a suitable piece of period hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-class_gunboat
Not quite the same but

https://sarissa-precision.com/products/ww1-fly-class-river-boat

Oh, I was thinking about just such boats, and the old river boats which appear in those Colonial Era games that transported British troops up and down the Nile. After all, Victoria's Wars are only twenty years in the past, so those boats are probably still around in some way. Another useful tool would be the flying boats and seaplanes of the era. While the game doesn't factor them in (and I'm really hoping for a second book providing more lore about this world, maps would also be nice, and additional units), one should be able to work out house rules for them. Problem is that aircraft always look so oversized, even in real life, and 28mm plane kits will be expensive, one might consider using HO scale planes mounted on flying stands to have a strafing Sopwith product or Fokker on the board, or perhaps an early autogyro.

As far as the water going somewhere, we know from real life that after the Boxing Day earthquake back in 2011, the shockwave went around the world four times. Raising up Doggerland means hundreds of square miles of water was displaced, and so it has to go somewhere, and then throw in the impact from the chunk of the moon hitting. Since this was a just short of an ELE, I'm guessing water levels went up elsewhere, with coastal areas, estuaries and large river basins taking a real hit, plus a large volume of water would have been vapourized instantly during the strike, throwing it, along with other materials, up into the upper atmosphere, causing the ecological issues seen in the lore. 

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2024, 03:52:36 PM »
Yes, aircraft are quite large.

L120 x W175 x H55mm
https://sarissa-precision.com/products/wwi-bi-plane-sopwith-28mm

Online 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2024, 05:59:17 PM »
When I read about this game I was visualising flat brown surface with odd shipwreck /dinosaur fossil with odd rocky outcrop as terrain features ??
The artwork seems to suggest trenches but are they on the mainland or in doggerland I don’t know as not read the book .

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2024, 06:33:23 PM »
The lore suggests that in the Doggerland there aren’t full trench lines, like the Western front, but there are smaller areas of fortification which include trenches.

And on the Western front the trench lines are no longer a continuous front line, due to a number of factors.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2024, 07:32:56 PM »
When I read about this game I was visualising flat brown surface with odd shipwreck /dinosaur fossil with odd rocky outcrop as terrain features ??

I would suggest it will look a bit like the Aral Sea, supernatural plant growth creating patches of trees.
I have a Crooked Dice wrecked tug and a wrecked boat awaiting assembly for big terrain.

There might be the remains of mammalian megafauna rather than dinosaurs.

Of course some supernatural entities exhibit ontological inertia, so might be mistaken for dinosaur remains.

The material map from Liverpool shows sand (dredged commercially in our reality) with patches of mud and pebbles.

Online 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2024, 08:20:50 PM »
I would suggest it will look a bit like the Aral Sea, supernatural plant growth creating patches of trees.
I have a Crooked Dice wrecked tug and a wrecked boat awaiting assembly for big terrain.

There might be the remains of mammalian megafauna rather than dinosaurs.

Of course some supernatural entities exhibit ontological inertia, so might be mistaken for dinosaur remains.

The material map from Liverpool shows sand (dredged commercially in our reality) with patches of mud and pebbles.
Never heard of the Aral Sea but yes looks right visually ,speaking of mammals I follow on fb a fisherman who walks the tidal reaches of the Severn and they find skulls and horns of large deer and cattle type beasts also remains of medieval or older settlements and fish traps and nautical debris 👍

Offline zeppelfahrt

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2024, 08:50:10 PM »
Even unreality has its limits.
Splendidly put.  Thank you.

Offline zeppelfahrt

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2024, 10:35:20 PM »

As far as the water going somewhere,

As a non-geologist I submit the following:  Assuming the level of the North Sea (essentially Prime Meridian) dropped by say 200' due to lunar tidal influence, wouldn't the sea level just east of the International Date Line (180 deg.) rise by the same amount?  If so, wouldn't New York City (about 40 deg. W) be under about 45' feet of water along with the rest of the US east coast?  (Local terrain influences ignored of course.)

Furthermore; if the BBC map of Doggerland is to be given any credence, Britain and Germany would both appear to be land-locked.   

Even without the re-introduction of magic, it would seem that the economic and geo-political impact of these new realities alone would render the motivations of 1914 moot and radically change the objectives and strategies of the combatants accordingly. What would these new objectives be?  Will the old alliances hold?  Where will the submarines park and what about those Norwegian gun-boats?

All very fun to think about - at least for me.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 11:40:49 PM by zeppelfahrt »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2024, 12:13:54 PM »
The global sea level changes would be down to volume of water displaced - so if the 200’ depth of North Sea is over an area of a few 100 miles by 100 miles, that volume would be spread across the whole Atlantic which is a few thousand miles by a few thousand miles, so perhaps just a few feet deeper on the US East Coast.

The lore in the rules does talk about wider disruption, crops failing changing alliances etc. And this is part of the justification of move to smaller scale patrol actions, re-use of older equipment etc rather than the massed battles and trench lines.

This is deliberately kept fairly high level to give you as the player considerable leaway in your games. French vs Russians is perfectly plausible. The level of US involvement is much lower with Irregular forces rather than the full Gen Pershing led expeditionary force.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 12:16:07 PM by fred »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2024, 01:20:48 PM »
Doggerland was populated in the past, trawlers brought up all sorts of bits of stone age artifacts, a completely sand logged possibly arcane ruin would be a point of interest

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2024, 06:23:08 PM »
Stephen Baxter has a trilogy set pre-inundation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Spring