Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:59:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Doggerland Front, how to do?  (Read 6014 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Doggerland Front, how to do?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2024, 06:41:09 PM »
Furthermore; if the BBC map of Doggerland is to be given any credence, Britain and Germany would both appear to be land-locked.   
I suspect the level of the sea is such that the full area shown on the BBC map is not exposed (it would make everything too complicated as you say - most of the UK being landlocked and I have no idea if the extended rivers would be navigable).

I would say the 7000BC level would probably be permanently dry, the 8000BC level  more tidal (in a Mediterranean style).

The other thing to bear in mind is agricultural technology has collapsed, it just does not work in the new environment.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2024, 04:08:30 PM »
And games needn't be confined to the (newly exposed) Doggerland Front.  Much of the original Western Front remains contested (but subject to the new environment with the return of "the Old Ones."

Offline zeppelfahrt

• Assistant
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2024, 11:26:57 PM »
The global sea level changes would be down to volume of water displaced - so if the 200’ depth of North Sea is over an area of a few 100 miles by 100 miles, that volume would be spread across the whole Atlantic which is a few thousand miles by a few thousand miles, so perhaps just a few feet deeper on the US East Coast.

Here is something that I have just learned. Still trying to work out how this applies to AWT though. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 11:30:57 PM by zeppelfahrt »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2024, 08:55:00 AM »
grounded sea mines, big iron explosive spiky balls on long chains attached to concrete blocks....

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2024, 09:59:35 AM »
grounded sea mines, big iron explosive spiky balls on long chains attached to concrete blocks....

I like your thinking :)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2024, 06:15:14 PM »
Cool idea.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2024, 07:56:11 PM »

I do like this idea! I think the sea mines floated, but having them on chains sounds fun!

Dutch - no not mentioned. But the book only covers a few key countries - and I think these are probably largely linked to figure availability.  By 1916 with Britain, German and France already being on a serious war footing, I’m not sure the Dutch army would be able to do much against any of these powers if they choose to attack. But its alternate history so no reason not to include them if you want to.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2024, 08:20:34 PM »
I do like this idea! I think the sea mines floated, but having them on chains sounds fun!

Some mines were indeed free floating but many were tethered.

Drifting mines, due to their uncontrolled nature, were outlawed at the Hague Convention of 1907. Mines that drifted were often moored mines that had broken free from their tethers.

But mines, with or without tethers, sound like a plausible terrain item. Possibly rows of them if they had been tethered.

Fighting amongst things intended to go bang would seem particularly hazardous.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2024, 08:58:53 AM »
I figured the chain would allow for wall-like cover, have the mine and the weight at opposite ends.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2024, 09:06:41 AM »
The chains or cables aren't that big, and I'm not a fan of hiding next to a "wall" with about 100 kgs of explosive material ;)

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WAMBR_Mines.php

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2024, 08:50:10 PM »
For Doggerland I picked up some 3D printed sea mines from a seller on ebay, he did some complete ones and some only as halves (I can use some of those as half-buried in sand/mud others I'll use as floating for other games with boats).

I have some figures for the middle-east fronts so wondered about another setting and having the remains of Santorini rise up from the Mediterranean, Atlantis-style, would allow for a few different forces and Greek style ruins.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2024, 10:29:29 AM »
The chains or cables aren't that big, and I'm not a fan of hiding next to a "wall" with about 100 kgs of explosive material ;)

lol

I was thinking more los blocking and obstacle, but probably shouldn't have used "cover"

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2024, 07:11:37 PM »

lol

I was thinking more los blocking and obstacle, but probably shouldn't have used "cover"
Quite ^__^.

The chain would create interesting blocking blocking terrain for vehicles. Any vehicle crossing the chain may become entangled in the chain, dragging the aforementioned 100kg of HE and twitchy contact fuses across the ground towards the vehicle.

Offline Hermann

• Student
Re: Doggerland Front, how to do? A narrow gauge railways theater!
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2024, 11:18:22 AM »
Hello everyone,

I will stage my Doggerland Front Theater around a H0 18mm scale narrow gauge railway set replica (1/87) , from auhagen.de. The Decauville Typ 3 steam locomotive is from busch-model.com . Guns and soldiers in 1/72.

Kind regards,   Hermann

Offline Hermann

• Student
Re: Doggerland Front, how to do? Tarot cards?
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2024, 02:32:14 PM »
Hello there,

Tarot cards, what function do they have in this game? I didn't find it in the rule book.