Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:17:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: how well are your plastics holding up to gaming use?  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: how well are your plastics holding up to gaming use?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2024, 05:41:02 AM »
A few years building and painting with them indeed, not exactly a new medium.  ROCO, Aurora, ESCI, Fujimi and many other hard styrene from the 60s and 70s still holding up fine!

Over the decades, I've only had trouble with Airfix.  I think they had a particularly bad blend of soft plastic in the late 70s that I bought many of for gaming and sometime in the 90s had brittled and all crumbled at the ankles.

All others have held up fine.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2024, 10:56:13 AM »
Some (but not all) of the old Airfix figures from the 60s and 70s just crumbled away. Mainly the ancients. But my Airfix ACW guys are just fine.
My ESCI Zulus suffered the same fate.
The newer hard plastic 28mm stuff seems fine, but time will tell

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2024, 04:34:02 PM »
But will plastics survive decades?

I'm still playing with Airfix plastic figures made in the sixties, that's right good, in 'umble opinion!
  :-*
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 04:36:57 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 05:46:07 AM »
I use large Diorama basing for my units so the figures do not get knocked around as much as my skirmish single bases weapons.

Cheers
Matt

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2024, 10:01:23 PM »
Guys
Plastics mostly seem good to me overall.
However there is exceptions .
We did a Huge Hoplite Project , and used majority Victrix Hoplites , but a lot of Foundry Hoplites as well .
We respeared and shielded the Foundry figs with Victrix .
Problem is the Victrix spears are so brittle and prone to breaking that it is a real issue, and a big hassle to respear .
I do find it a bit curious that when people make a purchase of Plastics , it is mostly Cost based .. which is fair enough.
However the Elephant on the Painting Table is NEVER talked about o_o lol o_o lol
That is the Cost /Waste in Time of assembling the Plastic Figures .
For me that is a killer .
So yes I like to make some plastics .. which is good fun , but making Large armies jn plastic ... o_o o_o
I would rather be gaming, reading ,walking the dog  or just about any other thing then that .
Cheers

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2024, 11:21:33 AM »
Metal figures often require bits gluing on as well, and it can be much harder to get spears and shields well attached. Compared to painting time, assembly time is negligible. I use brass rod for spears; easy to flatten one end and file a point. Much more durable than lead or plastic

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2024, 04:28:18 PM »

So yes I like to make some plastics .. which is good fun , but making Large armies jn plastic ... o_o o_o
I would rather be gaming, reading ,walking the dog  or just about any other thing then that .
Cheers

If you look at the number of assembled, unpainted GW armies out there it is clear that assembling plastic minis is a hobby unto itself. lol

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2024, 11:43:16 AM »
I don't mind plastics, so long as they are simple to put together. I find Perry uniformly good.  The ones I hate are those described in the current post about Firelock Games in the Renaissance section of LAF. I worst experience was trying to glue metal heads onto plastic bodies for for some Warlord Games Grand Duchy of Warsaw Napoleonics. Obviously I couldn't use polystyrene cement and the weight of the metal heads meant getting them to sit straight with either epoxy or superglue was a nightmare. 

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2024, 03:55:06 PM »
I quite enjoy putting plastics together.
You can get some really good poses out of them.
Admittedly, doing hundreds of the buggers would get tiresome.
But for skirmish games I don't find it all onerous. In fact, part of the fun.
Being plastic I often chop off legs and reposition them, or cut hands off, or cut off at elbows to reposition, etc. And, of course, mix with other sets.
You couldn't do that so easily with metals.
But I take the general point that putting hundreds together for full size army would get a bit long in the tooth.
Each to their own though.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2024, 04:55:37 PM »
I've had to replace many a metal spaghetti spear with brass wire.  Replacing breaky plastic ones, at least the plastic hand is much easier to drill out!

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 04:36:15 PM »
Guys
We did a Huge Hoplite Project , and used majority Victrix Hoplites , but a lot of Foundry Hoplites as well .
Problem is the Victrix spears are so brittle and prone to breaking that it is a real issue, and a big hassle to respear .
I do find it a bit curious that when people make a purchase of Plastics , it is mostly Cost based .. which is fair enough.
However the Elephant on the Painting Table is NEVER talked about o_o lol o_o lol
Cheers

That’s not a flaw…it’s a feature!  More variety in poses, easier to kitbash for something completely different and the total pleasure of model building.  I haven’t had to buy a 1/35 scale tank model or 1/72 plane  for a long time as the putting together squads of infantry scratches that itch.

Too I find that plastics are more durable on the tabletop, a stand toppling hasn’t the weight to alter a bayonet or sword the way metal figs do.  Even a fall to the floor survives better.  When something snaps it’s usually easier to pull out model glue for a sturdier repair/bond with a small surface area than the same with superglue on metal, which often requires drilling for a reinforcing pin.  I do see a bit of advantage with leveled pikes and spears to using brass wire over the original plastic or pewter.
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2024, 09:20:34 AM »
Guys
Cheers

I must admit I am with you on this. It's what has put me off plastic kits. I am a gamer and even regard painting as a necessary evil to get the figures on the table.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2024, 10:37:21 AM »
Going back to the original question, I've just unboxed my Perry WoTR troops, most of whom are plastic, and who haven't seen the table for maybe 10 years .All are fine. I also built some additional light cavalry for use in tonight's game and quite enjoyed it.  Only 3-4 parts per figure, and it did allow my to choose my own headgear and pose, weaponry and accoutrements. Nothing too arduous and almost therapeutic for an hour's work. My experience with Victrix was somewhat different but I can almost understand why others love 'em.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2024, 03:21:22 PM »
I absolutely love Victrix for skirmish gaming, it's so easy to get a lot of pose variety:
 https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=133918.msg1715644#msg1715644

And show me a box of plastics and I'll show you a box of zombies:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=133918.msg1704546#msg1704546

Both of those units of figures came from the same box of Victrix French Napoleonics.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2024, 08:56:30 PM »
The figures themselves hold up great.  Spears do not, and I've had more than a few snap or pop just in transport.  When I can I generally replace them with wire spears.
On time, on target, or the next one's free