Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Size comparisons for Apache and Plains Indians, help please  (Read 1456 times)

Online Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
Size comparisons for Apache and Plains Indians, help please
« on: January 21, 2024, 04:37:44 PM »
Afternoon all, I was hoping for some help with expanding my Old West project to include the aforementioned Apaches and Plains indians. At the most it would be large skirmish of 20 or so figures in a warrant but I'm a bit stuck looking at the ranges and what will match. Apaches, I've seen Artizan and Dixon as well as the DMH renegades which if combined would make a good mix of single figures. The Plains Indians tho again I'm not so sure what would match if I mixed them including the Comanxhe from Warlord Games. Any help would be much appreciated
Many thanks in advance
JB

Online Johnny Boy

• Scientist
Re: Size comparisons for Apache and Plains Indians, help please
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 04:59:05 PM »
Forgot to say my Old West Project is very much Hollywood inspired including the Knuckleduster Hollywood US Cavalry and various other figures.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 07:32:07 PM »
Well, I'm going to throw a caffeine addicted monkey with a big wrench into your works.  One pack each of Bluemoon's 15/18 mm Apaches, foot and mounted, and Plains Indians, foot and mounted, would more than cover you.  Then all you need are your cavalry - and wait for it - you can order them from Bluemoon, too.  Or, Old Glory 25s (with a UK option if that works better for you).  And they will all match size wise.

No need to thank me for considerably expanding your playing surface with the "smaller" figures.   :D

Oh, you can also get some teepees from the same source.  Add in some mounted and foot from the Old West range from Bluemoon and, wow, are you really good to go.  Well, you will need buildings.  Guess what?  They have those, too - and a fort in the French and Indian Wars section (well, maybe, but you did say Hollywood style).

One carefully thought out order (with maybe getting an army card for that 40% discount which applies to the order you buy it!), and you could have all you need but the terrain.  Sorry, they don't help much on that front that I'm aware of.

Again, you're welcome.  Now, can I have my monkey back, please?   lol

Online Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 10:36:17 PM »
Many thanks Fifteens, I think. . . ...  lol I'm afraid I'm too heavily invested in 28s to change scale, and I'm not sure my poor old eyes could cope with painting the smaller scales as time's gone by but thanks again anyway and the monkey's all yours lol Anyone else now??

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 01:16:28 AM »
For plains Indians, Brigade Games recently ran a kickstarter campaign for the Little Bighorn. 
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brigadegames/plains-war-little-bighorn-28mm-minis/description

They haven't been released yet, so can't confirm the size, but they are sculpted by Paul Hicks, so that should be similar size to his other work.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 04:03:19 AM »
Well, alright then but how did my monkey bend his wrench!?   :o

Just for further thought:

From this thread: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=96500.375

Explore the pages forward and backward of that link to see more of his work on the Bluemoon.  Or, if you stick with the larger stuff, explore the whole thread for all sorts of inspiration.

While Mr. Dean is a Very Good painter he can't be much younger than me since I've been seeing his work for well over 30 years by now, maybe getting close to 40 years.

I figure if he can do that well with the Bluemoon (which are really 18 mm so while a bit smaller but pretty close to 20 mm) then I can do about half that good, maybe.

Of course, if you are flush with unneeded money, you can always have him paint your collection.  I just ain't rich enough though I'd love to do it if I was.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 04:07:23 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 04:26:23 AM »
Ha! Deano painting 2mm would crush most of us painting 28mm. You really can't use him as a reason for normal mortals to abandon 28mm for 15mm. That said I would buy anything of his I could.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 11:31:19 AM »
Afternoon all, I was hoping for some help with expanding my Old West project to include the aforementioned Apaches and Plains indians. At the most it would be large skirmish of 20 or so figures in a warrant but I'm a bit stuck looking at the ranges and what will match. Apaches, I've seen Artizan and Dixon as well as the DMH renegades which if combined would make a good mix of single figures. The Plains Indians tho again I'm not so sure what would match if I mixed them including the Comanxhe from Warlord Games. Any help would be much appreciated

Ok
Apache
DMH & Artizan are both larger 28mms, and will mix very well. You could probably also get Black Scorpion to work too, and I'd guess, Galloping Major.
Foundry are 25/28mm, but should mix with Artizan (probably not the others) and Dixon, possibly not at the same time
Dixon are also 25/28mm, and from memory will really only mix with Foundry.

Plains tribes
DMH will mix with the Dracula's America plains tribe figures from Northstar (really nice models)
Warlord/Conquest will mix with Foundry, Clearco and the Dracula's America figures
Dixon will really only mix with Foundry

Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 04:18:03 PM »
Apache
Dixon and Britannia are a good style and size match. Although they are similar in height to foundry they are quite a different style of sculpt - more charicature than anatomically accurate they do look good in the table but aren't a good mix with other figs, IMHO.

Online Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 10:50:58 PM »
Well, alright then but how did my monkey bend his wrench!?   :o

Just for further thought:

Nooo, get thee behind me!!!  lol you're starting to make a very convincing case Fifteens but No I'm sticking with 28s. I can't comment on the wrench I'm afraid, but it's a long way from here to there. . .   .
Much appreciate the input from all of you Gentlemen, I just got to decide which to go with

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 04:18:09 AM »
Some years back I got the 18mm Blue Moon cavalry and Plains Indians. Love'em! I got enough cav for 3 companies of troopers  (6 bases each plus dismounted figs) plus scouts, pack train, and some civvies. Then both mounted and foot Plains Indians along with women/children villagers and enough teepees for a small village.
Oh yeah I also got a stage coach to throw into certain scenarios too.
A few of the guys in our local gamers group tell me that is their favorite game when I put on Plains Wars scenarios.

Online Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 11:40:43 AM »
I'm too heavily invested in 28mm  too even consider a change in scale now but I must say there is some fantastic work out there in the smaller scales. And I don't think my poor old eyes would stand it lol