Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:50:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Paper wargaming - Fights of Fantasy rules & Old Skull Minis  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Dubbya

• Librarian
Paper wargaming - Fights of Fantasy rules & Old Skull Minis
« on: January 26, 2024, 05:38:22 AM »
I love painting miniatures, but soon I'll lose my permanent set-up. My figures and hobby supply collection is taking up so much space, time and money. If I'm honest, my painting has felt very "samey" lately... almost just going through the motions.

I'm trying out something I've wanted to do for a while, and that's collect paper miniatures! Clearly they're very cheap, so not a problem if I lose interest later. I'm also wondering if the playing (solo) part of the hobby can hold my interest without the painting aspect.

There are many options out there, but I have started with models from the "Three Plains" wargame. I'll use other rules, but there's something about these little guys I like. I prefer the hand drawn look over some others around. Anyway, here's what I printed today!

https://printandplayfantasy.com/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 03:32:23 AM by Dubbya »

Online Moriarty

• Scientist
Re: Paper wargaming log
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 05:58:55 AM »
I’ve dabbled, but not taken the plunge. Looked at top down’WW2 and naval when I wanted to try out rules, but did not have the hardware.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 06:27:58 AM »
It is an alternative if you don#t have the space or money I think. I used to build 3d paper models and that cutting out is a pain in the .....
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Dubbya

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 11:10:40 AM »
Some more put together. I'm adding some stick on card letters to the underside for weight and stability.

I’ve dabbled, but not taken the plunge. Looked at top down’WW2 and naval when I wanted to try out rules, but did not have the hardware.

Top down I'll go to spaceships I think, now that OPR 2d models are free.

It is an alternative if you don#t have the space or money I think. I used to build 3d paper models and that cutting out is a pain in the .....

Money isn't really an issue, and I pretty much own all the 28, 15, 10 and 6mm figures I need. More that I find it hard to justify spending good money. For lack of space these are brilliant, since you don't have to take great care storing them! Cutting these is therapeutic, but that's because I'm not worrying about cutting them out properly.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 01:26:48 PM »
Well done

Always have soft spot for card/papercut modelling and don't do enough of it myself, same as actual painting!

Get annoyed at the certificate warnings for onemonk website now, and really should spend more time looking at papercraft stuff, have quite a bit of terrain buildings etc I have built previous years boxed up and stored to.

Its fun and relaxing sometimes as a change of pace, and have put quite a few paper tanks that have gotten to warn in the recycle bin.

Yeah nothing wrong with gaming with paper !

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 04:55:57 PM »
Great to see some paper love here.

I never found a decent 'sabot' style basing solution TBH - I think that adding thin magnetic sheet to the bottom and using metal lined trays may work for blocks of troops but never tried it (changed to basic resin blocks).

Offline Dubbya

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 10:30:34 PM »
I got some elves started last night, so at least the project lasted longer than a day so far...

Its fun and relaxing sometimes as a change of pace, and have put quite a few paper tanks that have gotten to warn in the recycle bin.

Yeah nothing wrong with gaming with paper !

That's part of it, once ruined into the recycling and print another!

I never found a decent 'sabot' style basing solution TBH - I think that adding thin magnetic sheet to the bottom and using metal lined trays may work for blocks of troops but never tried it (changed to basic resin blocks).

That'd work for sure, part of me wants to keep the project 100% paper for some reason!

Offline Dubbya

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 11:31:28 AM »
Some more by the way...

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 08:42:20 PM »
Very neat - never seen those before.

Reminds me a little of the LoTR film figures but different enough to stand on their own. The female MU is very very different.

Offline Dubbya

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 11:32:48 PM »
Some more today, goatman from "antonhammer", the others from Nico Pogarskiy.

Very neat - never seen those before.

Reminds me a little of the LoTR film figures but different enough to stand on their own. The female MU is very very different.

They're good fun, very bronze age, especially the human army.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 03:50:23 PM »
A nice project to dabble in, for sure.

I once thought my nephew (about 6 at the time) would be interested in playing the game Flip-It(?) with me. It's basically a skirmish wargame with paper miniatures that have to be printed and assembled.

Figured a faction would be easy to put together, so he could do his own. But when I started out, it became quite obvious what an incredible lot of work they were, especially if you want to do them justice! In fact, I'd wager to state that when done right, they would take up just about as much time as a speedpainted plastic/metal/resin army of the same size!

Suffice to say that he tried, but never got beyond a single soldier figure. I managed about 10 guys, a truck, helicopter and tank and then I was done as well.

So many kudo's to you for going for it, even when the figures are 'simple' standees.

The ork artwork you chose indeed has this old-school charm to it. It reminds me of the standees that came with my first RPG game: Oog des Meesters (The Dark Eye) :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dubbya

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024, 09:02:30 AM »
Interesting thoughts! Yes, these days a washed/contrast or drybrushed army can be just as quick. This is really just an experiment in scratching an itch without the money investment or guilt adding more models I'll never finish.

Don't mention The Dark Eye, I'll want to order miniatures from Ral Partha Europe again!

Anyway, some more today:

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2024, 06:25:29 PM »
Paper minis are a very useful adjunct to the gamer, whether for budgetary reasons or just because they're neat. Which they are.

I've been dabbling with some from Okum Arts and Printable Heroes for roleplaying (https://mojobob.blogspot.com/search/label/paper%20models) and the sets from Peter Dennis Paperboys range (https://peterspaperboys.com/) are fantastic for tabletop wargaming.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 07:26:38 PM »
How are you storing them by the way?

I found mine tipped over very easily and got creased as I moved the box around. Tried blu-tac and that was a disaster - more bent bases than I wish to remember!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2024, 07:31:45 PM »
I like the style of these - looks a fun little project.

My only recent foray into paper minis was using top down views to create 2 ACW forces. This was a super quick project, one evening to setup the ‘counters’ on the computer to the right size and number of figures. I suppose ACW helps as there aren’t many troop types to do. Then a second evening to print out, paste on card, then cutout into rectangles.

Super quick, worked well for the high level game we played. And storage is super easy, just put them in a plastic wallet.