Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Building the Borsetshire Brigade More recruits 15.04.24 (VBCW)  (Read 7617 times)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Building the Borsetshire Brigade (VBCW)
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2024, 05:12:51 PM »
Beautiful.  But bet those breastplates will make a wonderful pinging sound when penetrated by a .303 round !

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2024, 12:48:21 PM »
Splendid looking chaps. I'm thinking a detachment of dragoons for scouting and cross-country would have been a better choice

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2024, 04:54:27 PM »
Agree with all that  8)

+1  What they said.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2024, 08:47:40 PM »
Absolutely superb, old fruit. The Lord Lieutenant’s Guard look magnificent and the photo showing the film crew is just sublime. Well done, that man!
Thank you, m’lud; much appreciated  :)

+1  What they said.
Thanks - I’m chuffed you like it…!

Beautiful.  But bet those breastplates will make a wonderful pinging sound when penetrated by a .303 round !
You’re spot on, of course but you have to remember that Sir Rufus, not having seen frontline service in the Great War, has been able to maintain a romantic outlook on war. His recent (and only) experience of command (see above) was in a mere exercise so no blood was spilled. Horses and red tunics are his idea of what’s needed in an army. He’s probably in for a shock but let’s let him enjoy his cavalry while he can.

Splendid looking chaps. I'm thinking a detachment of dragoons for scouting and cross-country would have been a better choice
Couldn’t agree more but Sir Rufus is surprisingly naive for a man of his accomplishments. Regrettably, perhaps, he fancies himself as a war leader.

+1  What they said.

Thanks for reading - I’m glad you like them.

Doug

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2024, 09:12:36 PM »
Personally, i like the scarlet-tunic'ed horsey fellers.  But, I'm partial to cavalry.

I do wonder how some farm-boy who is part of any invasion forces would react, while holding his SMLE, should he see 10 of these splendid-looking horsey fellers bearing down on him.  Would he have the testicular fortitude to shoot at them, or would discretion prove the better part of any valor he might have?  I presume we will one day find out the answer to that very pertinent question...

By the bye, I'm back and sufficiently recovered from my southward journey... 
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2024, 07:47:55 PM »
Personally, i like the scarlet-tunic'ed horsey fellers.  But, I'm partial to cavalry.

I do wonder how some farm-boy who is part of any invasion forces would react, while holding his SMLE, should he see 10 of these splendid-looking horsey fellers bearing down on him.  Would he have the testicular fortitude to shoot at them, or would discretion prove the better part of any valor he might have?  I presume we will one day find out the answer to that very pertinent question...

By the bye, I'm back and sufficiently recovered from my southward journey...
Welcome back from wherever your southward journey took you.

You are obviously of the same stuff as Sir Rufus when it comes to red coats and cavalry. And these are not the last of his red-coated lads, of which more later.

Both sides in the likely upcoming clash are building their forces as fast as they can. In fact, a small action is due to take place tomorrow in which the jockeying for advantage, in this case possession of a prototype wonder-weapon, will continue.

Doug

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2024, 09:49:41 PM »
In fact, a small action is due to take place tomorrow in which the jockeying for advantage, in this case possession of a prototype wonder-weapon, will continue.

One awaits, with breath appropriately bated!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2024, 06:28:01 PM »
Lovely stuff Doug 👍
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Building the Borsetshire Brigade More recruits 15.04.24 (VBCW)
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2024, 08:29:37 PM »
One awaits, with breath appropriately bated!
I think you’d better unbate, old chap - you’re looking decidedly puce :D And before the event that’s caused you to bate, there is another update on Sir Rufus’ determined effort to create a Borsetshire Militia. Of which, more below.

Lovely stuff Doug 👍
Thank you sir, glad you like it.

And so, onwards:

Here we see a graphic representation of Sir Albert talking to Sir Rufus on the telephone. In reality, the telephone wasn’t that big

Not long after the cavalry troop joined the Borsetshire militia, Sir Rufus got a call from his old friend Sir Albert Brock, Chief Constable of Wiltshire who, as always, got straight to the point.
"I know you’re trying to find recruits and I think I may have something for you. A group of Canadian Mounties are in Britain - they came over on a goodwill tour but have been caught up in the civil war. They’ve been told by their superiors in Canada, that any of them that wish to stay as volunteers may do so so long as they support established authority. I think my force represents that and I guess you do as well. Unfortunately, I don’t have the money or resources  to keep them on my payroll. So, have you got a place for a section of highly trained riflemen? No horses, I’m afraid but they do have nice red jackets that I know you will appreciate."

Sir Rufus was delighted and agreed without hesitation to take the mounties. "And I’ve got a couple of spare horses for two of them. They’ll be welcome here as soon as they can get over."

The Mounties arrive in Borsetshire. They already have the two horses provided by Sir Rufus. These are ridden by the leader, Staff Sergeant Brad McSpaniel and his Number 2, Corporal Veracity "Grizzly" Burr

Sir Rufus greets his new recruits, the occasion filmed by the now familiar presence of a Movietone News team. The event took place in the local churchyard just prior to the Mounties paying their respects to the Dominion Fallen of The Great War. Staff Sergeant McSpaniel demonstrates the finer points of his revolver to a fascinated Sir Rufus

Sir Rufus is already looking for more recruits but his enemies have not been idle either. Their efforts to improve their firepower will be the next chapter in this tale. It may be more suitable for the Pulp board - I’m not sure yet.

Doug
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 08:31:19 PM by Doug ex-em4 »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2024, 08:59:47 PM »
Excellent work. Sir Rufus must be very proud of his new recruits.

'Maintiens le Droit'

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2024, 06:02:35 PM »
I went down to sunny Florida...

And I do like those Mounties.  They may have jurisdictional issues operating in England, but I'm sure that will get sorted out in due time...but remember - the RCMP always gets their man... 8)