Forum > Weird Wars

The Doggerland Front; where are the Dutch?

(1/9) > >>

Daeothar:
[With regard to "A War Transformed"], I find it interesting that all belligerent parties in WW1 are mentioned, but not the Netherlands. Which is strange considering that a large portion of the North Sea/Doggerland is actually Dutch.

I don't have the book, so I don't know how this would factor in the established fluff for the setting, but I'm figuring that this would draw the Netherlands into the war for certain.

The country is/was extremely dependant on sea trade; even during the real-world conflict Dutch shipping was vital to the survival of the country and a lot of German international trade would be conducted via/through the Netherlands.

I can imagine the Dutch wanting to protect their territory so uninterupted access to sea lanes could be guaranteed, but lacking the military manpower to control the now hugely extended borders. This would probably drive them to side with Germany and allow German troops to co-defend Dutch territory.

Anyone given this any thought? Was this addressed in the book?

Gunbird:
The book is very light on any kind of info tbh, only that everything changed, the rest is rules and stats. Nothing Dutch in the book I'm afraid.

Daeothar:

--- Quote from: fred on January 25, 2024, 07:56:11 PM ---Dutch - no not mentioned. But the book only covers a few key countries - and I think these are probably largely linked to figure availability.  By 1916 with Britain, German and France already being on a serious war footing, I’m not sure the Dutch army would be able to do much against any of these powers if they choose to attack. But its alternate history so no reason not to include them if you want to.
--- End quote ---

As if I don't have enough projects already ::) 

But the concept is looking really enticing now...

area23:

--- Quote from: Daeothar on January 25, 2024, 12:23:12 PM ---I can imagine the Dutch wanting to protect their territory so uninterupted access to sea lanes could be guaranteed, but lacking the military manpower to control the now hugely extended borders. This would probably drive them to side with Germany and allow German troops to co-defend Dutch territory.

Anyone given this any thought? Was this addressed in the book?

--- End quote ---

Oh that would be interesting. I'm not aware of any period Dutch miniatures though. Or any well made colonial KNIL that could work.
We were notorious for having an obsolete army at the start of WW2 but I really don't know what the situation was 1914-1918.

Need to do some researching...

Daeothar:
Right, that did it...

I did a bit of a dive tonight, and I found some interesting stuff. Almost enough to kickstart a new project. Which I am trying my darnest to resist; I don't even have an opponent to play this game against  ::)

This here is a very interesting article regarding Dutch neutrality and military standing during the war. Turns out the Netherlands were much more geared towards the western allies as they were towards Germany. In fact there were secret talks about British aid in case of a German invasion. Which, in light of Germany wanting control over Antwerp harbour, became an ever growing possibility towards 1918 and not at all in line of what I had been expecting. This with continued (limited) trade with Germany, Fokker being active there etc.

https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/military_and_strategy_the_netherlands

There's some more material in Dutch as well, but since few can read that, I won't needlessly link them here.

As far as uniforms are concerned: they used basically the same uniforms as they did at the outbreak of WW2. The later ones were just cut a bit better and more uniform. Also, there were no helmets, but kepi's. Rifles were the same (M95, in use since 1895) and there was no real standard for webbing.

So with just a very little work, May40 Dutch infantry could be converted into WW1 troops. Just switch out the helmeted heads with suitable kepi wearing ones, add some pouches and maybe a gasmask or two and they're ready for combat!

I'm also already thinking about several really old local myths and monsters that might fit right in...

Also, here's a period map of the area of the North Sea/Doggerbank. The orange area is Dutch territory.

Ooh, I'm trying sooo hard to resist this...  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version