Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690937
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Interesting Little Find  (Read 1419 times)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Interesting Little Find
« on: January 29, 2024, 04:57:50 PM »
Last week at work we were preparing our stall for a show; and I was rummaging through a box full of price labels, prices lists and other boring stuff when at the bottom of the box I discovered this somewhat surprising thing...

A US Army morphine syrette, seemingly of WW2 vintage and unused. How very queer, eh?

I have no idea how it got there. While my line of work is in the Militaria sphere (we sometimes joke that we are in 'the Hitler Business') we make reproduction stuff, we don't actually deal in wartime curios. I can only guess somebody accidentally dropped it in there at a militaria show once upon a time, and it has languished at the bottom of the box ever since.

Thought some of the WW2 crowd might find it interesting. I couldn't help chuckle at the 'Warning: May be habit-forming.'  (No shit, right?) Didn't think they were much bothered about warning labels on everything back then, but I do recall reading somewhere once that those things did contain dangerous amounts of morphine if you were a bit too liberal in their use.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: Interesting Little Find
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 08:01:04 PM »
That is a bizarre find, probably rare to I’d imagine.

Offline dickiegranthum

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 09:07:45 PM »
“May be habit forming”  lol

The only time I’ve had morphine, it was like a million butterflies landed on me, and took away all my cares on the planet. I totally never wanted off it.

There used to be full emergency hospitals packed in Canadian rural post office basements (not kidding!). I got to look through one once, and there were CRATES of morphine.

In one of the first aid kits in the same government building I worked in, there was a bandage of Korean War vintage - date stamped!

Cool find though - long expired, as the crates that I mentioned before were regularly replaced with current meds.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 11:47:19 PM »
Very cool find! Any idea what you’ll do with it now?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 01:53:34 AM »
The good thing is I don't believe morphine has a use by date per se. The bad news is that the street price for a single hit might just get you a takeaway curry.

You should hang on to that and take it to the next Antiques Road Show. We look forward to Fiona Bruce's reaction.  lol
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline dickiegranthum

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 03:06:50 PM »
The good thing is I don't believe morphine has a use by date per se. The bad news is that the street price for a single hit might just get you a takeaway curry.

You should hang on to that and take it to the next Antiques Road Show. We look forward to Fiona Bruce's reaction.  lol

Oh it definitely has an expiry date. As I explained in my “mobile nuclear event hospital” post.

I mean, I don’t KNOW if the morphine is still good - only one way to find out, and that’s to GO TRAINSPOTTING!

EDIT: was just watching “Band of Brothers” for the millionth time, and in Episode 6, ‘Bastogne’, Doc the medic holds up that exact morphine syrette. Neat.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 12:09:29 AM by dickiegranthum »

Offline Doug E

• Student
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 07:13:53 PM »
message deleted
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 07:25:28 PM by Doug E »
Inara: It sounds like something this crew can handle. I can't guarantee they'll handle it particularly well, but...
Nandi: If they've got guns and brains at all...
Inara: They've got guns.