Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:16:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 656
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Camera Issues  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Camera Issues
« on: January 29, 2024, 08:02:52 PM »
Okay guys, I've had a Fuji Finepix for years now and it's a good camera for taking pics of my mins - it's great for a photography moron like me because I can slap it on auto and let it take the strain with auto macro.

However, over the last year or so, I've noticed my photos now look decidedly fuzzy and unfocussed compared to how they used to. So my question is this, are there any clever camera peeps out there who know what's going on? Is this just an ageing thing that cameras do? Could the memory card be too old and/or corrupted? Would it help to get it serviced, or would that be as expensive as a new camera?

I would rather not fork out a few hundred squids for a new one if I can help it (I used some winnings from betting on rugby to buy this one about a decade ago) but if I have to replace it, does anyone have any recommendations other than another Finepix?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Camera Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 09:42:57 PM »
I can’t see it could be anything to do with the memory card.

A rather obvious suggestion, but have you cleaned the lens? Might just be dirt or dust.

Would be worth a google of that model number, might show if there is a common issue. Might (outside chance) be a software update that fixes something.

Servicing likely to be expensive. But might be worth a call to a local camera shop.

As to a new camera, how new a mobile phone do you have, as if that is at all new it’s likely to have a better camera.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 09:50:53 PM »
I used to have a Fuji Finepix as well and when it crapped out I replaced it with a Sony Cyber-shot. It has way more options than the Fuji but it auto selects when to switch to macro mode and since I do little scenic shoots it often wants to focus on something other than the mini. You my get better results with a neutral or solid background but that is not how I want to photograph my minis :? (I may be doing something wrong- I am not a camera Guy).

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 09:56:17 PM »
I doubt it's a card issue, they generally either work or don't work, and sounds like yours is writing readable data.

Are you talking soft as in out of focus, or blurry as in slow shutter speed camera movement blur..?

Other suspect would be a nice big fingerprint on the lens, however if there was one like that you'd be able to see it.

If you have an example pic to post, stick one up. Also which model of Finepix are you using?

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 10:19:27 PM »
Assuming the lens is clean (easy to check) it could be the lens/focus array needs recalibrating.  Could also be dust or static on the camera CCD sensor (the electronic bit that replaced old style film).  This is especially noticeable in macro shots.  Do normal non-macro shots look OK?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 07:46:42 PM »
Thanks guys, sorry for abandoning the post, I've been busy!

I don't think it's a dirty lens, I have given it a good polish with a lens cloth.

I've tried taking pics from my phone but I really don't like how they turn out - it just doesn't focus properly on the mins.

I'll have a look online about issues that may affect that model - it's an S4500, 14mp (although the interpolated pixels are higher I think).

If the lens/focus array needs recalibrating, I'm assuming that's something a shop needs to do and I can't just jab at it with a screwdriver in my usual dad-fix fashion? Normal non-macro shots look fine, it's just the macro stuff that seems a little ... off somehow, like when your eyes are tired and you can't quite focus. Have a look at this -

He's a relatively recent pic of a Star Wars dude, Willrow Hood. You see how the face isn't quite crisp? I'm sure it used to be better than that. Or maybe I'm imagining things. Are you guys seeing it? Or maybe 14mp isn't enough and I should be going for something with better clarity. What think you?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 07:50:32 PM »
That looks like the same level of crispness as my macro shots (but I am not super happy with how my camera works either).

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 07:54:09 PM »
I just Googled it and it seems there's a minimum macro distance to the S4500 of an inch! I've been taking my shots from about 12-18" away, thinking it would focus better. MrsCub has just suggested I take a variety of photos from different distances, with the distance next to the model so I can find the optimum one for mins.

I fear tinkering with things like exposure and shutter speed, but I also suspect this is what I must do if I want to improve it.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 08:04:01 PM »
I fear tinkering with things like exposure and shutter speed, but I also suspect this is what I must do if I want to improve it.
I agree- I'd like to avoid a mess I can't fix myself.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 09:22:28 PM »
Exposure and lighting I'd say you have pretty much spot on. Looking at the picture of Willrow Hood, there is no movement (slow shutter speed) softness and the depth of field is good.
With a bridge camera built in zoom, your minimum focus range will change as you adjust the amount of zoom, as you will be changing the focal length of the lens.
They tend to be sharper at the wider end.

In your settings set image quality to 'fine'; check that sharpness is not set to 'soft', 'standard' is probably the default setting, but you should be able to set to 'hard' which may improve things in this context.
Also set your ISO as low as you can. The auto settings may try to increase the ISO, depending on the light, in order to maintain a higher shutter speed.

If you have any of the Photoshop versions then in filters 'sharpen' will offer some improvement or a 'high pass' filter.

All that aside, that's a pretty damn good picture for that type of camera.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 09:49:27 PM »
Right, camera image already set to Fine and I do a quick Sharpen filter on the pics as standard. I was zooming in, thinking that as it's an optical zoom it won't affect the focus, but perhaps I should be bringing the camera closer instead then. Thanks, I'll be giving that a go.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 09:55:15 PM »
Another issue that sometimes crops up is condensation on the internal lens elements when the camera is taken between warm and cold environments. That will usually clear up if the camera is left to acclimatize for an hour or so in the environment where it will be used.

I doubt that that is your issue, as it generally results in much more marked blurring than you seem to be seeing. It's something to be aware of though.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2024, 09:30:30 AM »
Now that's interesting, because my studio doesn't have heating and the camera is kept in the living room, so I'll keep that in mind.

Offline Dice Roller

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2024, 09:46:25 AM »
Sounds like it could be sensor on the way out.
Needs a clean.
You can do it yourself if you are feeling brave, or take it to a camera shop if not.

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2024, 12:16:19 PM »
I would discount condensation in your case.  That happens if you take something from cold to warm, and you are going from warm to cold……..
I would definitely move the camera in closer rather than zooming…..if nothing else you will minimise camera shake, which softens an image. 
As to your phone, are you actually focussing on the figure when you take the image?  If you tap the screen on the object you are taking a picture of the phone will set that as the point of focus…….