Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:30:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Guy Halsall Wargames Illustrated Post Roman Britain  (Read 6480 times)

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
Re: Guy Halsall Wargames Illustrated Post Roman Britain
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2024, 12:31:37 PM »
For the Post-Roman or Dark Age period, wargaming lists seem often an attempt to create differentiation between factions that probably didn't exist.

Take the idea used now in some army lists that the early Saxons in post-Roman Britan had a more fluid, dynamic form of combat than prior to that period or after that period (shieldwall etc). That idea seems to stems from the evidence that they used very small round shields (35-45cm). When you actually read the papers, you find that idea doesn't hold up (the sizes were minimums based on bosses). Nonetheless, any bit of differentiation is often welcomed in army lists. The Romano-British had shieldwalls but those early Saxons rushed around like loons with small bucklers throwing angons! Rather unlikely I suspect. 

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2024, 03:07:37 PM »
If I recall right it was the shape of the boss with its protruding blunt stem that fuelled that theory rather than just shield size.

Offline March Hare

• Assistant
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2024, 06:54:53 PM »
"If I recall right it was the shape of the boss with its protruding blunt stem that fuelled that theory rather than just shield size"

That does seem to be one of the arguments in what I have been reading.

Picked up the Victrix Late Roman Armoured Cavalry. Nice models.

Also starting to peruse some rule sets. Have Dux Bellorum, WAB Age of Arthur and Wargaming in History: Romans, Goths, and Huns that was recommended in the Halsall articles. Will probably pick up Saga Age of Invasions too. Other recommendations would be appreciated. I am a bit of a rules hoarder.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2024, 10:52:09 PM »
https://www.wfgamers.org.uk/andy-callans-articles/white-steeds-and-seax

One for your collection.  It's a free Andy "Billhooks" Callan download.  I have not played it but it looks interesting.

Offline macsen wledig

• Bookworm
  • Dave Hollin
    • Society of Ancients
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2024, 07:43:25 AM »
"If I recall right it was the shape of the boss with its protruding blunt stem that fuelled that theory rather than just shield size"

That does seem to be one of the arguments in what I have been reading.

Picked up the Victrix Late Roman Armoured Cavalry. Nice models.

Also starting to peruse some rule sets. Have Dux Bellorum, WAB Age of Arthur and Wargaming in History: Romans, Goths, and Huns that was recommended in the Halsall articles. Will probably pick up Saga Age of Invasions too. Other recommendations would be appreciated. I am a bit of a rules hoarder.

me too

anything by Simon MacDowall is worth a good look and half of them are freebies

the original Glutter of Ravens (which has been rereleased with a small update) by Dan Mersey is a really good reference book and ruleset in one
Slingshot Editor, Society of Ancients

Offline March Hare

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2024, 04:21:38 PM »
Nice I have been looking for Glutter of Ravens set. Didn't realize there was a new edition. Ordered.

I will print out a copy of the freebie too. Will be interesting to compare with the other set I have by MacDowell. Can't beat the price either.

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2024, 07:11:01 PM »
I'm going with another Dan Mersey set A Song of Arthur and Merlin (variant of the Ganesha Games system)

Offline March Hare

• Assistant
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2024, 01:28:22 AM »
He wrote that too? That may be a good place to start. You don't need many figures to play that right? Like five or six figures a side?

Offline macsen wledig

• Bookworm
  • Dave Hollin
    • Society of Ancients
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2024, 08:16:46 AM »
Nice I have been looking for Glutter of Ravens set. Didn't realize there was a new edition. Ordered.

I will print out a copy of the freebie too. Will be interesting to compare with the other set I have by MacDowell. Can't beat the price either.

Glutter of Ravens is a really really good alround set of rules and super background info. Simon MacDowall's rules are great free or non free

Offline NTM

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2024, 06:09:44 PM »
He wrote that too? That may be a good place to start. You don't need many figures to play that right? Like five or six figures a side?

That's exactly why I got it, the Romano-British war and I'm building is 10 figures but could be fewer with more armoured warriors. Haven't planned the Saxons fully but should be 7 or 8.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 06:16:13 PM by NTM »

Offline March Hare

• Assistant
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2024, 08:17:09 PM »
I got the Song of Arthur and Merlin rules. Now I need to locate some plastic 28mm fantasy figures that match up with the detail on the Victrix figures. Haven't had all that much luck so far. I have been trying to find some to use with Blood Eagle. Nothing quite matches (in my purely subjective opinion, of course). My gamer OCD reaches fantastical heights when trying to match figures. I have all kinds of absurd rules.