Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690861
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Death in the Dark Continent difference between lite and main rulebook?  (Read 768 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Basically as the title says. I came across someone on eBay selling Death in the Dark Continent at what seemed like a really cheap price but apparently it's the lite version can anyone tell me what the difference between the main rule book and the lite rule book are?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Death in the Dark Continent difference between lite and main rulebook?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 09:24:34 PM »
Caveat: While I own both I have never actually got around to playing either.

As far as I can tell the rules are identical (might be the odd thing here or there, but they are basically the same).

The lite version has no artwork or photos, gets straight to business and is short and to the point. It has army lists for 30 or so forces covering East and Central Africa.

The hardback version gives longer explanations of everything with more examples and is generally more wordy. It also has period illustrations, many photos of figures and even colour plates from Osprey books. It has 80 army lists which cover the whole of Africa, rather than just the usual 'Darkest Africa' region. It also has a set of skirmish rules for big game hunting and a chapter giving historical background.

Those are the main differences, though I may have missed a few things.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 11:36:55 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 06:58:31 AM »
Thanks Plynkes that's very helpful.

I've just reconnected with an old gaming friend who wanted to try out Death in the Dark Continent I normally use TMWWBKs for my African gaming. He is building some Nyamwezi and Ruga-Ruga I have my Zanzibari in various shades to go up against them.  I might just get the lite version for now then to see if I like it before investing in the hardback version.

The next job will be find some sabot bases as all my miniatures are on individual bases.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 01:19:29 PM »
I think the Lite version only has three army list, Zulu/Swazi, British in South Africa and Mahdist.

According to the intro, the Lite version also has simplified terrain rules and is missing the ‘Stratagems and Psychological Warfare’ and ‘Scenarios and deployment’ section (Think one scenario is included).

I think Wargames Illustrated may have a video on YouTube that explains what’s in the Lite version.

Steve

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 02:05:29 PM »
The version I have has 30, focusing on East and Central Africa (covering much the same ground as the army list book for Peers' skirmish game 'In the heart of Africa').

Perhaps there is more than one 'lite' version? Both of the books I have were published by North Star. Was there another earlier printing, maybe?

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 02:54:02 PM »
Possible. The version I have came free with an issue of Wargames Illustrated.

Just did a quick search then to check what issue it was and noticed there was a thread here last year were Northstar posted another free version.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=142299.0

Steve