Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690889
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Expansion for FK&P into Scotland and Ireland  (Read 1195 times)

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
Expansion for FK&P into Scotland and Ireland
« on: February 09, 2024, 11:19:30 AM »
For those who use Simon Miller's "For King and Parliament" rules, you may be interested to learn that there is a now an expansion set of rules for Ireland and Scotland called "The Celtic Fringe" and a book of 9 Montrose scenarios called "Montrose; to Win or Lose it All".  I purchased the latter as a spiral bound hard copy and then found that you really need "The Celtic Fringe" to make the most of it. Technically you don't, but there are new troop types and rules designed to cover the specific flavour of warfare North of Hadrian's Wall and across the Irish Sea. As ever with BigRedbat the production quality is excellent and I'm now looking forward to building up a Montrose army to fight my dour Covenanters.           

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Re: Expansion for FK&P into Scotland and Ireland
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 11:00:38 AM »
Luckily I ordered the 'bundle' with the rules supplement and the Montrose book.  :D

As SJWi says - beautifully produced and, although I'm not a FK&P expert, the supplementary rules look really interesting for this sub-period / geography. I also really like the look of the battles in the Montrose book. 

In fact, this has got me seriously looking at gridded game mats.  I think I will need to do my own grid as a 25cm grid with a 8 x 12 squares is beyond all of the pre-gridded ones I can find. I think 3 mats of 6'x4' (ish) should do it.  Geek Villain mat on order as a trial  ;D

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 12:39:24 PM »
I agree, great looking supplement, and really interesting and considered additions to FKaP.

General Haig - if you are doing your own gridded mat, it’s worth considering all you really need to mark are the corners of the boxes - either with a cross or just a dot. 25cm squares will allow for some spectacularly large units!

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 05:35:29 PM »

Thanks chaps! It has been very hectic and I forgot to mention the launch here.  I didn't write these but I did oversee the editing and publication, and did the cover for the Montrose scenario book (minis painted by Redzed). The lovely cover shot for the Celtic Fringe Extra Rules Book, below, is by David Imrie.

FoGH, I marked up some Geek Villain mats with dots at the grid intersection and a 26cm grid, I'll be using them at Salute, perhaps 5 of them. I hope we get tables near each other, again!

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 06:47:42 PM »
Good to hear it’ll be at Salute, hopefully I’ll get to see it!

Offline Ruire

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 08:10:09 PM »
This looks promising! The Confederate Wars are generally neglected to be honest so I'm very glad to see some representation.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 11:17:44 PM »
FoGH, I marked up some Geek Villain mats with dots at the grid intersection and a 26cm grid, I'll be using them at Salute, perhaps 5 of them. I hope we get tables near each other, again!

I am hoping 3 mats will work for club games, but good to know I’m on the right track for super sizing  :D

Sadly not at Salute this year.  It takes me a longer time to get projects ready  ;D

I look forward to seeing the pics/videos of your game - always a highlight!

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 12:26:59 AM »
I was on the fringes of the group creating this and it has been fascinating to watch it evolve.

It was somewhat humbling to realise that, despite being a Scot, people in New Zealand and the USA knew more about what is actually local history for me than I did.

It is a fascinating period and a theatre that provides something a little different than your standard ECW/ WoTK game.

There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 07:08:11 PM »
Ithoriel,  my initial reading of both the rules and the scenario booklet are very positive. Unlike the ECW "Marlow to Maidenhythe" campaign which used a rather non-standard 12 x 10 grid ( ie 6 x 5' table), these battle all use the more common 12 x 8 grid which is a big plus for me.  I'm already sourcing a few books recommended in the "Suggested Reading" and more figures are hopefully on the way.  I might even persuade some of my mates to play.  They deem ECW too boring with not many troop types but the Montrose campaign adds a variety of new troops and tactical challenges.