Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:48:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: NEW Foundry Darkest Africa - Zulus!  (Read 10139 times)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
Re: NEW Foundry Darkest Africa - Zulus!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 04:47:27 PM »
£8 for a stamp and a box is taking the piss and I won't reward it, unless I'm really desperate  ;)

But its not 'just' a stamp and a box is it; its also the time it takes someone to process the order, collect the packs, pack and seal the box, address the box, etc. Its all part of business costs. Having seen Bernard, Matt et al at work on orders its just as much work to process one or two pack as it is a dozen.

Now, I agree with you that its a tad dear for one or two packs, but Hordes are usually post free. Buy a copy of 'Battle in Africa' from them and perhaps the whole order is post free? :)
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 05:45:06 PM »
But its not 'just' a stamp and a box is it; its also the time it takes someone to process the order, collect the packs, pack and seal the box, address the box, etc. Its all part of business costs. Having seen Bernard, Matt et al at work on orders its just as much work to process one or two pack as it is a dozen

Bernard and Matt must be on fabulous money then, unless they only pack one order a day  lol

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
I didn't notice these the other day (but then again I walk around with me eyes shut), but an email from Foundry today brought them to my notice. Some real nice character figures...

My Ngoni thread had the lads idly talking about using Copplestone Ngoni as Zulus, now the tables are turned! I'm sorely tempted to use some of these Zulus in my Ngoni force! I have already painted up Darkest Africa musketeers for my Ngoni army, but they're going in the bin now. I want those guys! (even though they are the exact same guys just with some Zulu doodads fixed on) Nice inyanga herbalist and what looks like a sangoma, too. Some nice types I haven't seen depicted much before. I think I need a whole bunch of the dancing girl figure.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »
They are nice I agree and that dancing girl is straight out of Zulu :) The Zulu character in the front with headress is spot on for the chap that played Shaka. What I would say is that he is the most natural looking the others seem to have been working out on the old bench press machine, I only mention it as when I painted some DA up in the past I loathed painting them and someone mentioned it on another forum and this is the reason why, the pectorals are too well defined/heavy

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 06:40:07 PM »
Can't say I'd ever noticed that. I love the Copplestone/Foundry Darkest Africa. They're my favourite figures ever, and I don't seem to get tired of painting 'em. And many of these are Copplestone sculpts re-done with new Zulu nicknacks, though maybe not all of them, as there are some poses I don't seem to recognise.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
Its not a big gripe and that is why I hadnt thought about it before to be honest I think we expect guys with pecs these days (in figures and in the media) and it must be more the normal expectation and easier to sculpt that some one with less definition and convey the brute force of the zulu or other native
I do like that Not Shaka Figure though :D

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 08:08:53 PM »
Giuys, have you tried Dave Ryan at Caliver books for obtaining your Foundry needs? I'm not sure of his retail costs to the customer, but I'm thinking they would be cheaper than going through Foundry! Just a thought.

Very nice miniatures by the way.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »
Giuys, have you tried Dave Ryan at Caliver books for obtaining your Foundry needs? I'm not sure of his retail costs to the customer, but I'm thinking they would be cheaper than going through Foundry! Just a thought.

Very nice miniatures by the way.

Helen
Dave T who does the show circuit in the UK and has a good e-bay shop is worth a try, if you drop him a line he may be able to get something that isnt in the shop too

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »
The outsized pecs are a Copplestone signature, take a look at his ancient Germans for Foundry and some of his Future Wars figures. He goes for the graphic novel-look musculature. He's still my favourite sculptor.

I have to say I think some of these figures are smashing.
I don't care if they've re-used Copplestone's old DA 'dollies' - these look like new figures to me, it's just some of the poses that are a bit familiar. But the new detailing is excellent.
I fear I shan't be able to resist a few packs... And I don't say that lightly about too many figures  ;)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 09:11:31 AM »
I have to say I think some of these figures are smashing.
I don't care if they've re-used Copplestone's old DA 'dollies' - these look like new figures to me, it's just some of the poses that are a bit familiar. But the new detailing is excellent.

I could n't agree more if I tried! At last, some common sense about sculpting 'new' figures.  :)

As I said on another site's thread, ALL sculptors/figure manufacturers do this in creating new figures to extend old ranges or to introduce new ones. As an aside, I have seen the British for this new range too, and while they are by a different sculptor I am fairly sure most people will like them too for their character and variety.

Like life, Foundry have moved on post-Perry twins, and our choice is actually extended as a result in our hobby. What's to complain about?
David

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 09:23:15 AM »
Who's complaining? My statement that many of them were made from old Copplestone poses was just that, a statement - not a complaint. It won't stop me from buying some.  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »
Who's complaining? My statement that many of them were made from old Copplestone poses was just that, a statement - not a complaint. It won't stop me from buying some.  :)

Damn right! Copplestone's sculpts got me into Darkest Africa virtually single-handedly, so having these partially based on his is great news. Mark's figures are marvellous and I agree, even after the 50th Azande, they don't get boring to paint. These Zulus look like they are in almost the same league.

This is fantastic news, as they look like they will fit in perfectly. That's my birthday money spent at next year's Triples, then  ;D

Assuming Dave Thomas or someone else has them in stock, of course  ::)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 10:02:27 AM »

This is fantastic news, as they look like they will fit in perfectly. That's my birthday money spent at next year's Triples, then  ;D

Gluteus, Gluteus, Gluteus, you still have to fulfill for that promised order before you can go off and indulge yourself in other shiny new things..... ;) lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 10:15:54 AM »
Gluteus, Gluteus, Gluteus, you still have to fulfill for that promised order before you can go off and indulge yourself in other shiny new things..... ;) lol

Ah yes, Senor, those shiny things. I'm sorry, I have a brain made of cheesecake. Don't worry, there will be an order  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 11:14:45 AM »
Ah yes, Senor, those shiny things. I'm sorry, I have a brain made of cheesecake. Don't worry, there will be an order  lol
;) :D lol