Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:53:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hametsu  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Seal

• Librarian
Hametsu
« on: February 17, 2024, 05:04:39 AM »
We have been running a Hametsu campaign, and the group is having a blast. It’s basically demon hunting in Feudal Japan. My group has been heavily involved in Rangers of Shadow Deep, and we were looking to mix it up. So we jumped into Hametsu. The rules are easy to grasp, so that’s been a bonus.

I’m curious if anyone else has been running Hametsu games??

Here are some pics of the oni hunters first scenario of the campaign. The shrine was overrun by an oni warband searching for a relic.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 05:07:16 AM by Seal »

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: Hametsu
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 07:05:54 AM »
Looks interesting, but OMG that price and no PDF? found the PDF. I'm a sucker for a good solo/coop game, so may pick it up.

Your scenery is gorgeous.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 07:10:56 AM by Burgundavia »

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 08:30:24 PM »
While it is a nice book, the PDF is probably the way to go for most.

Thank you for kind words about the terrain.

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 08:44:55 PM »
The second scenario took the hunters farther into the mountains past the shrine. Clues were found around the shrine  that hinted at a “boss” demon (an Enenra, which is basically a living bonfire) was nearby. The party followed the clues to a mine entrance where they encountered a band of oni in the middle of a ritual. While attempting to disrupt the ritual, the hunters were also trying to find evidence that the demon had entered the mine at this point. Heroically sacrificing himself, the ronin brought an end to the ritual, and almost to himself. The monk, a healer type of character in Hametsu, was able to keep him alive. After clearing out the remaining oni, and taking out the sorcerer, the party ventured into the mine to find the greater demon. Here are few pics of the second game.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 01:48:03 PM »
Very cool! I’m also gonna have to compliment the terrain, it looks awesome ;)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 01:52:17 PM »

I’m curious if anyone else has been running Hametsu games??

Sorry, I'm not sure, but it does look and sound like a set-up ran at a local con. Looked as if a whole lotta fun; folk couldn't wait to jump back in for the second round.

This happened a year ago Xmas, in the exotic wilderness of Nebraska.

I will check with the fellow running it.

Doug

Edit: It seems the game was run with modified Sellswords and Spellslingers rules.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 11:57:58 AM by The_Beast »

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 06:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, gents.

Doug, thank you for that information. I’ve been eyeing Sellswords and Spellslingrs.

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 07:17:16 PM »
I figure I’ll chronicle our games here. I’d love to hear what others are doing with Hametsu games, too  :).

The third scenario took the players into a mine to confront the Enenra demon. This was actually a continuation of the previous scenario, so the hunters were not at full health, but a few bottles of sake did come in handy. The monk’s healing ability also proved to be, literally, a life saver. While not being able to utilize his stealth as much as in the previous battles, the shinobi’s ranged attacks played a large role in the hunters’ success. The special events (falling debris from the cave’s roof and fissures/steam vents that opened from craters) created extra drama for the players to manage. Here are a couple of pics from that game.

Beat up and out of supplies after the encounter with the demon, the party needed to return to the village where the campaign started. There they could access a merchant to buy goods, and this gave them a chance to rest up and heal. Pictures from that game incoming…
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 07:21:38 PM by Seal »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 07:07:01 PM »
Doug, thank you for that information. I’ve been eyeing Sellswords and Spellslingrs.

No problem! Your delightful images definitely invoked the [sheer] fun I mentioned.

And, in turnabout is fair play, Bill stated he had never heard of Hametsu, but would soon remedy that! Possibly new convert? If not, always new ideas to add to the mix.

So, thank YOU.

Doug
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 05:22:18 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 10:23:20 PM »
Well, hopefully others have as much fun with the rules as we are :).

The fourth scenario took the party back to the village; however, as they approached the outlying farms, peasants were seen leaving the area. The villagers told the party their livestock was being brutally killed and partially eaten, which suggested there was a greater demon near. Plus, bands of Oni had been seen to the north sweeping down the coast razing villages as they travelled. Coming to a river, the hunters could see an Oni kill team was looting the village homes on the other side. The party would need to cross the river, drive out the Oni, and check for any survivors. This is where turn one, the stealth phase began…
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 10:34:52 PM by Seal »

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 10:43:59 PM »
Unfortunately, while scouring the village, the party came face to face with a greater demon known as a Komainu, a large guardian lion-dog of metal and jade. The ronin’s initial standoff was one of legend. *Not just because I can’t get the picture to orient properly ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 11:01:31 PM by Seal »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 12:36:14 AM »
Great looking table. Seems like a fun game.

I have not seen any battle reports on this blog but Curt has quite a few recent posts of his 3D printed Hametsu warband and demons. Search for Hametsu to see those specific posts.

https://analogue-hobbies.blogspot.com/2024/02/oni-villains-for-hametsu.html
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 12:54:24 AM »
Cool! Thanks!!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 01:40:24 AM »
*Not just because I can’t get the picture to orient properly ;)

Just like the most awesome opponents in anime, charging each other running along a perpendicular wall.  lol

Doug