Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Trying to avoid spending just for the sake of it  (Read 1665 times)

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
Trying to avoid spending just for the sake of it
« on: February 20, 2024, 02:47:25 PM »
I lost my job last month (though have thankfully since started another) and I should be getting a redundancy settlement at the end of this week. I'd love to treat myself to something gaming related but can't quite make up my mind. I'm currently a member at a very nice club and regularly play Mordheim, Bloodbowl and Battlefleet Gothic. I've got a decent selection of Perry samurai, enough to play Seven Spears which is based on the Lardies' Dux Brit ruleset.

I'm hesitant to just spend for the sake of it. On the old days I would jump at the chance to buy a new army for 40k or WHFB but I've been out of mainstream GW games for years and quite wary of them. There's not much historic interest in the club either so I'd be hesitant also to start something like Sharp Practice though I loved the ruleset and the Peninsula as a setting.

At the moment I may add another BFG fleet and possibly a Mordheim band but other than that I don't want to just spend for the sake of it - although chances like this don't come around often and I'm usually very careful with my spending.

Thank you for reading my mental musings  lol

How would you treat a once-off purchase opportunity?

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Trying to avoid spending just for the sake of it
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 02:59:27 PM »
Either more high quality terrain suitable for the games played at the club or something to try and expand the horizons of my club mates. A matched pair of Wiglaf Anglo-Saxon armies for HOTT with a few fantasy elements and the terrain necessary to play on, perhaps? Small, portable & not too much of a project.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 03:18:29 PM »
Definitely wouldn't just spend for the sake of it, but you could always treat yourself to something more simple.

Perhaps a new hobby desk/lamp/cutting mat...refresh your selection of paints or brushes, get a new gaming mat which is suitable for most of what you play.  Buy a nice set of custom dice or some new tape measures to replace old worn out ones, etc.

Ancillary stuff is always worthwhile.  New cans of primer, or some nice storage cases/bins/boxes for your existing miniatures, etc. If you have space, build or buy a nice set of tables to game on, etc.

Or, buy some terrain which works with much of what you play - as it's one of the most frequently ignored parts of wargaming (specifically in the GW-based games, I've found).

All of these things would apply to all of your existing games/armies/miniatures, etc. and can feel significantly less wasteful.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 05:30:02 PM »
I'd go for some Blood Bowl terrain. It's not necessary, but it really brings the game to life and most people don't do it.

Some bleachers, maybe with seated fans, and some bespoke dugouts, scoreboards or team specific endzone logos would be enough to really elevate your gaming experience. And most of its available fairly cheap in MDF or as 3D prints so you wouldn't feel too guilty...

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 05:51:16 PM »
If you are thinking about Sharpe Practise - you could look at playing this in 10mm or 15mm. I put together forces for SP using Pendraken’s Pennisular range last year, and it was a great little project. SP forces can be quite a few figures, so smaller scale makes it much more achievable from a painting perspective (and keeps the cost down, but that’s perhaps not such a big issue here).

A couple if images

« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 05:53:31 PM by fred »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 06:36:12 PM »
Buy a No Fee Index Fund.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 08:48:51 PM »
Buy a No Fee Index Fund.

I was going to say just that (: so I'll add "and some snacks for the gaming group". :D

Oh, and if you're in the USA, don't buy when the CNN Fear and Greed Index is at Fear - Neutral - Greed - Extreme Greed!
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 10:10:15 PM »
thanks all for the suggestions!

Yes I've been looking at EFTs and funds and I think at least some of my settlement will get squirreled away in something similar.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 01:17:12 AM »
If you've got samurai, buy some ashigaru to go with them.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 02:04:38 AM »
My New Years resolution was to not buy anything this year. Already I am very tempted to buy some
voodoo warriors and zombies for a 1920s Banana Wars game. Stay strong. Stay strong.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 07:37:22 AM »
If I had a sufficient settlement, I'd have someone else paint an army for me - whether a few figures or quite a few figures.

If not that, I think the terrain idea is good.   

Investing towards retirement is even better. 

Heck, maybe you will be able to do all three.

Spending for the sake of it?  Well, whoever gets the money will be glad.  But you will not be.  And then one day you will part with whatever you bought for a song because there was no real joy in it.

Focus on the joy. 

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 07:41:37 AM »
If it was me I'd get the whole studio area sorted with a posh set-up. I have plenty of unpainted models waiting for my attention.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 08:49:18 AM »
Several years ago, I would jump at the opportunity to buy and buy. I mean: the Bazaar here on the LAF was my most visited subforum ::)

But eventually, my storage options all filled up and I felt the need to acquire slowly disappearing. I still buy the occasional vintage miniature when I see it pop up, but I'm no longer scouring the forums, marketplaces and stores for shinies.

It appears you're in that happy situation as well; not feeling the need to buy up everything you see.

I don't know how much you will have to spend, but the one suggestion I could offer you, if you do want to spend some money on the hobby, is getting a 3D-printer.

And then in particular a resin printer and a washing/curing unit. This combo set me back approximately €400,- several years ago, and I have not regretted it since. 3D-printing can be a whole hobby on its own, but to me, it's just another tool in the repetoire, just like my foam-cutter and gluegun.

I have not tinkered with it; it's completely stock, right out of the box, settings included, and serves me well, even after several years (I don't print daily or even weekly, mind!)

You'll find that this route, getting more miniatures will eventually turn out cheaper, as there are millions of free designs out there, and for a small fee, you can get multipart kits that assemble and look just like injection moulded plastics, with all the posing and equipment options you'd expect.

So an initial investment will pay itself back in the long run. Also; you can print when you need, instead of stocking up cupboards full of metal and plastic minis you might, or might not, paint in a couple of years :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 10:22:23 PM »
I don't know how much you will have to spend, but the one suggestion I could offer you, if you do want to spend some money on the hobby, is getting a 3D-printer.

It's something I've considered but I don't think I have somewhere safe to put it. My wife is pretty sensitive to bad smells and I have young kids so a bit nervous about having resin around.

At the moment I think I'll stick with another BFG fleet (chap at the club prints at a good price for club members), and maybe another Mordheim warband or Kill Team. I'd like to add some more nice terrain to my Japanese collection - I have trees and buildings but a shrine would be good, alongside something like a pond or rice paddy.

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 06:04:46 PM »
Having Samurai, add some buildings and villagers. Buy Ronin or similar. You could add Oni and buy Witchin' Hour and have witches as adversaries.