Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:38:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690848
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blood Compass - solo narrative skirmish campaign Part 3  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Blood Compass - solo narrative skirmish campaign Part 2
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 11:29:27 AM »
Here's the second installment in the campaign.

Hope folks like it.

Night Attack at The White Horse Inn

The party arrive back at the Inn just as dusk is settling and quickly hurry the Abbot into an upstairs room where his wounds are tended.

The doctor also gives the Department members a look over, gives a draught of powders to one and wraps bandages on another, before proclaiming them fit.

A solitary monk, Undecimus, arrives; it seems he too escaped from the carriage crash but had been knocked cold throughout the fight. He is armed with a shotgun but glumly pronounces that all the shot he has is salt – it may knock over a foe but will leave him otherwise unharmed.

As the night becomes darker Ampleforth and his men stand guard at the outer edge of the Inn whilst Jesse roams the fields just outside the gate.

As the City bells chimed twice, a number of Assassins began closing in on the Inn from the surrounding fields and woodlands. Even worse, others appeared from the city side and the drains.

20240301_094928 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240301_094936 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240313_105733 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240313_105743 by markndebs, on Flickr

1. Jesse’s superior senses identify a Vampire Acolyte nearby and with a roar he charges, sending it to hell with a single decapitating swing of his power arm.

Tobias hears sounds from the rear of the Inn and moves to investigate, finding and shooting an Assassin Marksmen. He then moves to higher ground on the bridge to keep an eye.

Two more Assassins were close behind the Marksman and now begin to move alongside the Inn as Dr Wilson moves to intercept them.

As the Professor moves to Wilson’s aid, one Assassin rushes forwards before the rest of the foes on the field also begin to move, most towards the Inn but a few towards the Werewolf.

Gilbert Barrow moves to cover the most likely access point and prepares one of his bombs as the Assassin Thug reaches, and attacks, Dr Wilson.

The Doctor deftly steps away from the blow then pushes his sword through the ribcage of his attacker.

20240313_105612 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240313_115231 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240313_115558 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240313_120650 by markndebs, on Flickr

2. Tobias advances over the bridge and dispatches another Marksmen with his rifle as all the Assassins activate again.

A Rogue sneaks behind Jesse and deals him a blow whilst the second Thug, taking advantage of Dr Wilson’s inattention deliver a thrust with his dagger.

The group of Assassin Thugs nearest Jesse move towards him to aid their Rogue leader.

Jesse growls in annoyance, swings and kills his attacker, noting the close proximity of another and the rapid progress of the horde.

Gilbert-Barrow, still holding his bomb, moves onto the bridge behind Tobias as the horde continue to move towards the Inn.

As Wilson finishes the Thug who stabbed him, Ampleforth holds ground at the Inn door.

20240313_122129 by markndebs, on Flickr

3. More Assassins enter the field from both the City and the woods as Gilbert-Barrow launches his bomb over Tobias’ head, killing 2 of the 3.

Tobias quickly kills this final Thug as they rush him then fires off 2 shots in quick succession disposing of 2 more Thugs heading for the Inn door.

The Assassin Rogue near Jesse rushes in and delivers 2 wounds in quick succession. Jesse reacts quickly with a huge swing but the Rogue ducks it and delivers another blow. Jesse goes out of action.

Wilson moves to cover the doorway as Ampleforth engages a Thug in hand to hand combat, killing the Assassin quickly.

A chill mist fills the air and Matthias the Twisted walks confidently onto the field, close to the Western City wall.

20240313_123201 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240313_123636 by markndebs, on Flickr

4. As Elijah rushes towards Matthias further adversaries enter from the City and it seems the Vampire Leaders presence has given the Assassins extra impetus and they all rush forward together.

However, some are killed with no wounds to the team.

Undecimus appears at the door to bolster it’s defence as some now need to move to try to stop Matthias.

Ampleforth wounds a Rogue as the Assassins again move forward in concert. Wilson also hits but the shots bounces off – they must be wearing armour under their robes.

Tobias, as a Glory Hound, starts towards Matthias, intent on being the one to kill the Vampire.

20240313_124939 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240313_132629 by markndebs, on Flickr

5. Undecimus fires both rounds of his shotgun at the closing Rogue and knocks him to the ground, before Ampleforth attacks the fallen man, missing with both his melee attacks.

As Matthias and a group of Thugs close on Elijah he primes and throws a bomb at the Leader but it causes no damage.

Wilson joins Elijah, preparing to aid in killing the Vampire whilst a Thug climbs from a sewer grate and stabs Tobias. He retaliates, inflicting what should have been the killing blow, but this Thug seems a little tougher than the rest.

20240313_125706 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240313_125654 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240313_130132 by markndebs, on Flickr

6. Elijah throws his final bomb at Matthias and causes a wound as the Thugs close in on him and the Doctor. Doctor Wilson ignores them and concentrates on hitting their Leader with some success.

Quickly killing the Thug accosting him, Tobias runs to the ledge and fires off a hurried shot at Matthias but misses.

The Professor, at his third attempt, hits and kills the still prone Assassin Rogue then resumes his guarding of the doorway.

20240313_130632 by markndebs, on Flickr

7. Undecimus moves back towards the Inn as multiple Thugs appear across the board.

Elijah fails to hit the Vampire Leader again as does Wilson.

During this time another two Rogues have appeared, one to the South -East but another to the North near the Inn.

Tobias uses all his skills to line up another attempt at Matthias before he gets the chance to leave the field.

And hits.

The Vampire body falls to the ground and begins to decompose immediately.

Flushed with success, he then shoots quickly at the horde of Thugs near Gilbert-Barrow and Dr Wilson, taking out two of the three.

Ampleforth wounds the approaching Rogue near the side of the Inn and vows to kill him with his next shot.

8. Undecimus remains near the door.

Tobias kills another Assassin Thug whilst Elijah is rushed by Thugs and kills two.

Unfortunately more appear, and as they all converge towards the Inn and the Department men, both Ampleforth and Wilson fail their shots.

9. Undecimus fire and knocks down a nearby Thug as Tobias again show his skills, taking out 1 Thug and 1 Rogue.

Ampleforth rushes to the downed Thug, killing him instantly, then spins and fires, killing another Thug approaching the Inn.

As another Rogue appears well away from the action in the South. Gilbert-Barrow and Dr Wilson both make further kills before another group of Thugs move in.

20240313_105553 by markndebs, on Flickr

10. Undecimus moves randomly near the Inn as Elijah Gilbert-Barrow shoots two thugs; unfortunately another Assassin Marksman appears close by.

Dr Wilson moves towards the Carriage Park where a number of Assassins are converging on their way to the Inn.

Tobias is again ambushed, taking another wound before retaliating and killing his attacker them moves towards a better shooting position.

Ampleforth starts moving out of the City gate leaving Undecimus alone by the Inn; he’s decided that caution must be thrown to the wind if the party are to be successful.

20240313_133656 by markndebs, on Flickr

11. Undecimus remains near the Inn.

Wilson is attacked and kills the offending Thug and all the Assassins make a concerted move towards their targets, one being killed by Wilson and another by Gilbert-Barrow.

Tobias fails his next shot and Ampleforth holds his ground.

At this point there are only 4 Assassins on the field, Matthias is destroyed and there are no Vampire Acolytes in play.

This causes the Assassin’s morale to fail and they hurriedly withdraw.

Jesse Moonwalker, when checked, is merely knocked out, and recovers quickly enough to head back to the Inn.

A great game which I thoroughly enjoyed. Every time I thought I had won a few more Assassins would appear.

Note I'm playing the out of action/death slightly differently to normal by rolling for out of action post game - I think this works thematically as the Assassins had been driven off.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 11:32:44 AM by Spinal Tap »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Blood Compass - solo narrative skirmish campaign Part 2
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2024, 07:41:28 AM »
Your table set-up looks really good, those printed buildings are very effective. I am glad to see everyone survived (just).

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Blood Compass - solo narrative skirmish campaign Part 3
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 04:16:43 PM »
I'm afraid I've lost my notes for this game so I will give a brief summary and post some pictures.

The following morning a messenger delivered a note, seemingly from the contact.

It read:

'In hiding now at the University Library, there are numerous agents in the area but it seems they do not know I am here.

We should meet tomorrow and I can provide the map of the whereabouts of the compass.

There's a tunnel leading to the lower cellars of the University from the Church of Queen Ethelburga, hopefully the Assassins know nothing about it and the gate into the centre will be quiet.

Until we meet.

K.'

The team decide to take the most direct route reasoning that the Assassins ignorance of the tunnel will have stopped them from patrolling the area any more heavily than any other.

On arrival near the gated wall they spot numerous Assassins who had chosen to just guard all the city gates and wait for the 'O' Department to come to them.

The crew were starting in the South East corner behind a small building and the church was to the North West.

There were a number of Assassins around the gate and a few patrolling slightly further afield.

Ampleforth took the lead in moving the Abbott forwards defended by Jesse and Dr Wilson, whilst Tobias and Eligah Gilbert-Barrow would guard the rear.

A succession of failed rolls lead to a very busy field with over 20 adversaries attacking the heroes, especially to the South, not helped by Tobias trying to chase down Vampires whenever they appeared, even far away, due to his Glory Hound trait.

Eventually he fell foul to one too many attacks and was comatose when Elijah checked him out.

Elijah was then down to 1HP and was only a short way away from their starting position with numerous enemies closing, and he was forced to do the only sensible thing - pick up McGrath and run.

The other members of the team were now past the gate and fought hard to finally make their escape into the church which they barricaded shut.

Ampleforth and the Abbott were unhurt but both Jesse and Wilson were down to 1 HP each.

Because Elijah and Tobias left by the Southern edge I cannot count them for the next mission so this will be attempted with only three crew.

20240404_113125 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240404_113050 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240404_113113 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240404_123610 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240404_122045 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240404_124915 by markndebs, on Flickr

20240404_122736 by markndebs, on Flickr

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 06:46:57 AM »
Neat looking game, it sounds like fun! I like the figures, too- the Frostgrave cultists work well in other periods.

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2024, 08:19:35 PM »
Really enjoying following this, very inspirational. Many thanks for taking the time to post this up.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2024, 07:03:30 AM »
Thanks folks, there will be at least 2 more episodes of this adventure to come.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2024, 07:24:51 AM »
You are doing an excellent job here, the games look great.
I am looking forward to reading the next one.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2024, 10:44:49 PM »
This is an excellent topic. I really admire the background details which set the scene before the gameplay develops the narrative. The figures are great and the tables are splendid. I look forward to reading more. I’m very upset that Jesse has been removed (temporarily, I hope) from the team because of his injuries - he’s definitely my favourite  :)

Doug