Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690837
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Historical Wargaming stores in Canada?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Historical Wargaming stores in Canada?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2024, 12:26:26 PM »
Here in Montreal we have Abyss Game store which has some Bolt Action and SAGA items, plus some other smaller stores that do not have websites.
Otherwise I use:
Sunward Hobbies in Toronto area
Tistaminis in Hamilton.
Northstar, Perry, Dixon all remove VAT when shipping overseas.
Entoyment (UK) just bought 4 Geek Villain mats from there, no VAT and shipping was good price wise and time.
I have also been ordering from AB Figures Australia with relatively large orders as Nic removes the AU taxes and shipping is only Au$25 airmail worldwide.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2024, 03:04:10 PM »
In addition to their own ranges (Vietnam, some WW2, medievals, 1600s North America, etc) Crucible Crush stock some Wargames Atlantic/Perry boxes
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Deadeye

• Schoolboy
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 01:20:26 PM »
Thanks for everyone who has responded, that's a solid list so far.  I have ordered almost exclusively from a UK store so far (mostly Footsore, for Saga miniatures). It'll be nice to be able to support some Canadian vendors and producers, though.

Appreciate it, gents.

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 08:01:31 PM »
First-time poster. Just getting back into the hobby after a 30+ year absence. One of the last things I painted was the original plastic space marines box.

I ordered paint and sundry items from Tista Miniatures in Hamilton and had a great experience. Ordered on a Monday night. They processed and packed within an hour of the store opening on Tuesday. Courier picked it up and it arrived on Thursday. Prices seem to be amongst the best in Canada. They carry Victrix, Wargames Atlantic and Northstar. I would have bought miniatures, but they didn't have the Victrix Republican Romans I wanted. They were the only place that had a copy of Clash of Spears rules. Great experience.

I ordered direct from Victrix in the UK and it was also a great experience. Took 5 days and it was absurdly cheap. My bag of 60 plastic Republican Romans came to about $60 Canadian, including shipping. As my first miniatures purchase in decades, it has unfortunately skewed my value equation, and now I'm kind of expecting every miniature to cost about one Canadian dollar.

Pricing stuff out, it seems much cheaper to have stuff shipped from the UK than from the US, as others have mentioned.

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2024, 08:35:00 PM »
I'll just add that RAFM is Canadian and has their own lines and carries some others. They don't have a physical storefront but show up at the big local convention, Hot Lead.

And of course Bob Murch/Pulp Figures sells direct, and they're historical to should-have-been-historicals, if you read the right types of pulps.

Chris

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2024, 08:41:55 PM »
In addition to the various Canadian brick and mortar shops and retailers, I'd like to shout out some of the companies that are producing miniatures here in the Great White North:

Bob Murch's Pulp Figures https://pulpfigures.com/home/ and Crucible Crush which sells his non-pulp stuff (such as Vietnam, Call of Cthulhu, Flint and Feather, 1066)  https://www.cruciblecrush.com/

Jeff Trnka's JTFM or Die Waffenkammer for 1/56 WWII resin vehicles https://diewaffenkammer.com/

The venerable Rafm:  https://rafm.com/en-ca

Kingsford Miniatures for your Samurai needs:  https://www.kingsfordminiatures.org/

Full Battle Rattle for modern Canadian army:  https://fullbattlerattleminiatures.com/

Relic Miniatures - Ancients https://www.relicminiatures.com/

I'm sure there are others that I've missed!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 10:02:43 PM »
Also, don't be afraid of overseas mail ordering into our dear oversized Frozen North, especially from the UK.

UK->Canada mail is still pretty cheap, the Royal Mail -> Canada Post pipeline is really fast, and even with S&H being higher it can often be cheaper or basically identical in price to ordering from Canadian stores for stuff that's make in the UK anyway!

Oh, and UK businesses just seem way, way better at this mail order thing than most North American outfits. Next day dispatch isn't unusual, for example.

The US is a bit more hit and miss, USPS has been making it increasingly expensive for Yanks to ship outside their own country, and so-called couriers like UPS suck rocks and tend to dump their Canadian packets into the regular postage system as soon as they can anyway.
Yes, I find it a bit funny/irritating how often it's cheaper to buy things from the EU or UK than the US!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline dickiegranthum

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2024, 02:33:23 AM »
Yes, I find it a bit funny/irritating how often it's cheaper to buy things from the EU or UK than the US!

Too true! Also, stuff from the U.S. seems to attract the attention of border agents more often that stuff from UK/EU. Odd.

Has anyone mentioned Kingdom of the Titans? They’re in Quebec, and although they carry limited amounts of historical minis, they are a good source for GW stuff; the French versions sell out, but the English are often available.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2024, 04:41:22 PM »
Another UK store to note is Caliver Books which ships miniatures orders of 37.50 GBP and over (basically 2 boxes of plastic figures) free world wide. Compared to Meeplemart in Toronto for example, it is a savings of nearly $20 CDN on 2 boxes of Gripping Beast plastic figures.

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2024, 04:13:00 AM »
Another UK store to note is Caliver Books which ships miniatures orders of 37.50 GBP and over (basically 2 boxes of plastic figures) free world wide. Compared to Meeplemart in Toronto for example, it is a savings of nearly $20 CDN on 2 boxes of Gripping Beast plastic figures.

Oh boy my credit card is gonna burst into flames. Do you get the "tracked" shipping for 10 pounds?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2024, 04:14:43 PM »
Oh boy my credit card is gonna burst into flames. Do you get the "tracked" shipping for 10 pounds?
It's almost double that to get tracked shipping in Canada. I have ordered a couple times from them and just went with free shipping.

Offline dickiegranthum

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2024, 12:04:19 AM »
It's almost double that to get tracked shipping in Canada. I have ordered a couple times from them and just went with free shipping.

No… tracked shipping in Canada is around $20. I ship stuff all the time.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2024, 04:39:24 PM »
No… tracked shipping in Canada is around $20. I ship stuff all the time.
Oh yes, correct; I was reading 10 CDN dollars not 10 GBP. :`