Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 08:53:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The (15mm) Roman army of Trevorius Procrastinator  (Read 1299 times)

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
The (15mm) Roman army of Trevorius Procrastinator
« on: February 25, 2024, 07:54:56 PM »
Everything comes to those who wait and these poor old Minifigs Romans have been waiting since 1982 to be completed.  Several of my club mates have 15mm armies for ADLG but mine are 28mm, so I thought I would dig these out and make an army.   They are lead by an Essex general, who is a relative youngster from the late 90s, I think.

I did use these figures in the 80s with Newbury Ancients rules but they were never really painted and based. 

I've splodged some paint on and tried to cover it up again with lots of wash.  :D 

Basing is for 15mm ADLG and there are enough for a 200 point army. 

More details on the blog.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 09:56:08 AM by trev »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The (15mm) Roman army of Trevorius Proctrastinator
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 02:58:12 AM »
Nice job, they turned out quite well! I don’t have any figures of quite that vintage, but it is satisfying refurbishing some of my older ones. Hopefully your Romans will have a successful second run!

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 02:06:38 PM »
Thanks PM.  If they survive the game with their spears still attached I will be pleased.  I don't know if it is their age, or the metal used at the time, but they seem quite soft and prone to breaking.  There were once quite a few more of the lancer cavalry and auxiliary infantry but they have suffered significant casualties over the years.

I've been on a roll of finishing off old projects or bringing long forgotten armies back from the storage box recently.  These must be the oldest figures I own though.  If memory serves they were bought at Armageddon '82 in Reading along with the Moldvay Basic set of D&D and the Sorceror's Cave game.  A pivotal moment in a young boy's life.  :D

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 03:20:48 PM »
Might be able to replace broken spears with thin but longer straight pins - try a good fabric shop for sewing supplies.

Nice job.  Can we get a shot of the whole army all together?

Online nikkobourges

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 05:15:43 PM »
Hello,
Very nice painting !!
Nikkobourges

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 05:27:48 PM »
Might be able to replace broken spears with thin but longer straight pins - try a good fabric shop for sewing supplies.

Nice job.  Can we get a shot of the whole army all together?

Thanks guys.  I've glued back on one of the spears and replaced half a missing bow so far.  Fingers crossed for the rest.  I'll try Nylon bristles for replacement spears if needed.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 07:29:13 PM »
The army shot looks grand! I think the strong colours work well on 15s and other small figures, and the basing makes them pop. They seem like a well balanced force - legions to provide a hard core, supported by a good variety of auxiliaries to provide flexibility.

Hopefully not too many spears and delicate bits will break, it’s always a pain to repair painted figures.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 11:02:37 PM »
Looks awesome! :D

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 09:41:18 AM »
Thanks folks.

I think the strong colours work well on 15s and other small figures, and the basing makes them pop. They seem like a well balanced force - legions to provide a hard core, supported by a good variety of auxiliaries to provide flexibility.

I thought the simple strong colours would be appropriate for Romans.  I'll have a go at freehand in 28mm still but I don't have the eyes or steady hand for complexity on 15mm figures now.  I do try to make a passable job of the bases, so I'm glad you think they work.  A old friend used to say they were the frames to our miniature pictures.

There are slightly too many to all fit in a 200 point ADLG army but the extra lets me tune things a bit.  I'm hoping the legions can beat most things frontally but I'll probably be outnumbered, so will have to hold the flanks.  The Early Imperial army has quite a bit of flexibility and the troops types to deal with most situations.   Getting them in the right place will be the trick.  The auxiliaries can be as heavy and elite as the legionaries but I've gone for 'medium' auxiliary foot in case I need to send someone into rough terrain.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
Re: The (15mm) Roman army of Trevorius Procrastinator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 02:12:45 PM »
Old or new miniatures will look great if you give them a really nice paint job like yours for example. ;)

Christopher

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 04:36:17 PM »
Trev, thanks for posting the army shot.  Looks good.  I'm guessing the army is somewhat 'stylized' rather than representing a legion in the rules?  Not familiar with ADLG.

On the Minifigs - are the shields cast with the figure or separate and require gluing on?

Thanks.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 09:29:02 PM »
I'm starting to play around with 15mm, Arthurian and EIR, these look fantastic!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 01:19:50 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  Looking forward to seeing your armies.

I'm guessing the army is somewhat 'stylized' rather than representing a legion in the rules?  Not familiar with ADLG.

On the Minifigs - are the shields cast with the figure or separate and require gluing on?

The shields are cast on the miniatures.  Gluing on 15mm shields would be a nightmare.  >:D

The ADLG lists operate much as such lists usually do.  I imagine they drawn heavily on the WRG tradition and are intended primarily for pick up or competitive games.  ADLG doesn't seem to have an explicit scale, so you get a general representation of the historical armies covered by the list.  I thought of my army as a legionary vexilation with supports, where each base of legionaries is an approximately 500-man cohort but it could be a field army of multiple legions if I wanted it to be.  My Macedonian army has six phalangite bases, so I imagine each is 2000-man taxis.  It makes no difference to the rules. 

The list has multiple unit types with minima and maxima specified for each. Some unit types have a zero minimum, so are optional.  My 200 point army was 23 bases strong, which I think is everything in the group shot except one bases of javelin-armed light infantry and four of the green-shielded auxiliary cavalry.  The Early Imperial Roman list only requires a minimum 4 Legionary bases, 2 Auxiliary Cavalry bases and 2 Auxiliary infantry bases.  Everything else was optional, so there can be a lot of variety.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2024, 01:52:08 AM »
"Gluing on 15mm shields would be a nightmare" <<< exactly why I asked!  :o. Some ranges of otherwise fine figures have separate shields and I'd rather not, thank you very much.  (I have done it for other periods and it is a royal PITA)

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2024, 08:06:36 AM »
"Gluing on 15mm shields would be a nightmare" <<< exactly why I asked!  :o. Some ranges of otherwise fine figures have separate shields and I'd rather not, thank you very much.  (I have done it for other periods and it is a royal PITA)

Thanks for the reply.

My EIR's are from Corvus, separate shields. It's not ideal for sure, but I like the minis enough I figured, what the hell. Besides, not too many decals for other companies. I contacted Steve at LBMS but he said he is too swamped to expand those lines. I'm ok with that, I love his Victrix stuff!!