Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 Burgundavia's spaceport  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
BSC2024 Burgundavia's spaceport
« on: February 26, 2024, 03:11:33 PM »
I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to build.

I have two sets of drawings - one of a vertical starport with a landing pad on the roof large enough to land a ship I'm working on, the other a vertical mill using a waterfall for my hellscape terrain. Not sure which one I'll build yet
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 03:41:51 AM by Burgundavia »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: BSC2024 Burgundavia's something (not sure yet)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 03:57:27 PM »
Good luck with which ever you choose.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: BSC2024 Burgundavia's spaceport
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 05:43:48 AM »
Decided today am going to do a spaceport - I've been playing with a few different designs over the past few months, going to do a vertical tower with a landing pad at the top, something large enough to take a ~12" long spaceship I've been working on

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 10:38:41 AM »
Just make sure you don't get infected with Wizard's Tower Syndrome (WTS), or your average room might not provide enough room on top to land that spaceship ;)

Good luck!
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 03:43:28 PM »
Just make sure you don't get infected with Wizard's Tower Syndrome (WTS), or your average room might not provide enough room on top to land that spaceship ;)

Good luck!

Hah! I've already got it - planning not 1, but 2 9"x9" bases for this monster

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 06:41:13 PM »
When I design, I always start with pen sketches. Let's me think through the spacing, the size and elements as they interact with each other.

I've been doodling up a few different concepts over the past few months for this. What I want are a pair of elements - a larger 9"x9" building that will be the main building and a large vertical tower with the spaceport landing pad on the top of it.

With that in mind, I started with one large base (12"x18") and a ramp wrapping around it for vehicles to climb to a higher level. The idea would be two big doors - one at the 7mm base layer for my tiles and the other at 3". There would then be a large 6" building on top of the 3" base.

Ultimately, I decided against this concept as it was very large and didn't really do what I wanted. Plus the legs for the large spaceport on top would interfere with using the piece.

So I moved onto concept 2 a few days ago, which I started mocking up in FreeCAD with large blocks. At this time, I was thinking a 12"x12" base, with both the spaceport, with the building being in the style of Tycho Starport by Corvus Games, with rounded corners

In the end, I didn't like this either, so I'm going to go with a pair of 9"x9" bases, one with a large building on it, this time done in concrete (with foam) that has Tycho Starport parts 3D printed as accessories - windows and doors - and will use the roof style so I can put my existing buildings on its roof. This is the first concept sketch of that building

For the landing pads, I haven't started sketching those out, but it will likely end up being a single large pillar (2" diameter) with a large landing pad on the top and smaller pads for containers, etc. up the pillar, plus an elevator

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 09:37:32 PM »
Did some more work on my concept mockup today:

Blue is the OpenLock base - 1" tall, 9" square
Grey will be foam cut on my proxxon
Yellowish will 3D printed. I wanted the interior office to have the same curves as the Tycho Starport stuff, so brought in one of buildings and am replicating the basics of it in FreeCAD (I'll eventually add the door holding pieces, etc). Then they'll be two walkways leading to ladders on either side, as well as staircase to the roof deck, just not sure where that will go

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 05:11:37 AM »
Started the mockup of the landing pad tonight - just massing blocks for now. I'm using a paper roll I got from somewhere as the main upright. I will cut it to 12" and then on top of it place a 12"x12" octagonal landing pad (3D printed). Up the sides of the tower I'm going to run magnets and then have some smaller platforms that stick to them (the smaller octagon), as well as places on the side of the big pad as well - solves the "how do I get people and things to the top of the pad" problem nicely

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 04:24:09 AM »
As with the main building, decided to swtich directions a bit with the landing pad. Rather than a single large 12"x12" base, I'm going to do a pair of 6"x6" - one with the landing pad and one that holds the moveable platforms.

The platforms I'll hold on with magnets, so I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow to to find some washers or strip magnets to run up the orange vertical pieces - the idea is that the platforms can be moved up and down them during the game. I'm going to add some horizontal bands as well once I figure out size.

And tomorrow also is time to get the 3D printer kicked back to life to get the first test prints off...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2024, 08:50:05 AM »
I like the orange detailing on the last pic, very distinctive.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 10:41:45 AM »
Looking very good, will follow this with interest

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 11:08:36 PM »
And we have actual physical things!

I've been busy over the past few weeks first trying to get over some sort of a stomach issue but also doing lots of test printing of tubes to hold the cardboard tube upright. Here's what all those prints look like:

Each time I increases the radius by 0.25mm to see if it made it fit. The largest and tallest one is the successful applicant, but I haven't been able to yet print the full holder as I've designed.

I also just finished a round of vitamins and was left with this awesome large bottle. Well that had to be used! Fuel tank it is. A few test prints later, and I have the bottom of the tank done:

I'm going to design a top and then use my Silhouette Cameo 4 to cut some panels to make up the outsides, plus I want to incorporate some GW panels I bought from a bits bin. So more design work needed. i also want to make the top be capable of taking any of the Tycho Starport roofs I've already got printed, so will be pulling in one of those pieces into the top to make that work.

And then last night the last of the outside pieces for the building printed, so they are now done, and here is roughly what the various pieces will look like together.

This second photo shows roughly what the tube for the vertical element will look like.

Happy to be here, but OMG so much more work to do.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Results!

It's looking promising already  8)

And I can relate to the feeling of looking at what was accomplished and then looking over to see what still needs doing and feeling some anxiety at the looming load of work...  lol

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
very nice
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
I love it when something just works. After all that trial and error, the holder for the upright for the landing pads fits perfectly