Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:04:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 Burgundavia's spaceport  (Read 2544 times)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Good start!
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
That fit looks very satisfying, cracking job.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Like a glove!
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
I've been feeling wildly uninspired this past week, but the weather was amazing today and I needed to walk the dog past our trackside graffiti art gallery. I don't have the time or skill to replicate some of the stunning pieces that people have done, but do have some time to replicate some of the throw-ups/throwies that are along the same area. Highly recommend checking out pictures of the gallery: https://www.tracksideartgallery.ca/

So I took 7 photos of mildly complicated throwies and imported them into Inkscape

After that, I started with the top one. I used the Pen tool to draw the blocked out shape for the bottom layer of paint - in this case black. Here is that rough shape in a yellowish colour:

After that, I go through with the Node tool and bend the lines to match the outline as best as possible, knowing that in real life, this is going to be about 1/2cm tall. That takes about 20 minutes. This outer layer will also form the cutting outline I will use on my Silhouette Cameo 4 to cut out an airbrush mask I'll use to place underneath the graffiti.

I then replicate the process for each colour on top:

For this one, I'm going to put that green outline out see faintly behind the green using my airbrush.

For more complicated pieces, I've also used gradients before, and used Inkscape's trace bitmap in the past as well (with varying amount of success) - the bottom left one is an edited trace bitmap

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 04:18:36 PM by Burgundavia »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: BSC2024 Burgundavia's spaceport
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 07:16:21 AM »
That's pretty impressive going to that level of detail...I think I'd just stick to transfers. Well done!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 06:26:04 PM »
I spent much of the past two weeks prepping for Trumpeter Salute (not the big salute, the Vancouver Canada one) and so didn't have time to work on my BSC entry. But got back to it last night with designing some windows for the building. I'll be printing them tonight and then will show off the basics of the building.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 07:34:05 AM »
Ohhh, high tech.  Quite the opposite of my build.   lol  Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

OT:- I am hoping you will post pictures of Trumpeter Salute and your build.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 07:35:52 AM by Ragnar »
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2024, 08:09:53 AM »
Nice!  8)

What program is that? It looks way more complicated than the TinkerCad I'm using for this build...

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2024, 06:02:58 PM »
And a building we have! I did a bunch of different designs for this building, ended up with this one. I decided to make the wall pieces a number of pieces of foam I then glued together to get some variation in texture and widths. Now the hard parts begins - 4 large doors for the big doors (2"x4") and one smaller door (the blank hold on the shorter side).

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2024, 06:38:33 PM »
Nice!

It's looking very industrial, with the windows up that high!  8)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2024, 07:04:07 PM »
It's looking very industrial, with the windows up that high!  8)

Very deliberately - google images is great for inspiration for old, dead warehouses

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2024, 12:04:41 AM »
I've been busy over the past few days doing design work and testing doors - both the larger hanger doors and the smaller side door.

First up, the smaller side door. I initially digitally cut out and printed a door from the Tycho Starport range I have, but I felt it didn't match the doors I had. I debated replacing all my windows (well, redoing my walls) but decided rather than doing that, I'd lean into the 20th century ascetic and create doors to match. So I did some Google searching and found this:

I quite liked the look, although the door in door system wouldn't work for this project. I tried initially cutting out styrene on my Silhouette cutter but that wasn't working very well and the styrene (020) just wasn't thick enough.

So I decided to switch to 3D printing and did up a pair of doors at different thicknesses to see what I liked:

Overall, I quite liked the thicker door, so that one will make its way into the final. However, there is a still a bunch of work to do here, as I need to follow Daeothar and make this door open, so that mechanism needs to be designed.

But onto the large door for now. I really wanted to have it hang and slide horizontally out of the way - the whole building is actually designed around these doors, although I was going to have them on the inside (and may still move them there). This door was actually designed in 3 pieces - the door, the hanger and the rail. I printed a few thickness of door to see what I liked

The goldilocks door was the 3rd door (the middle). Not too thick and not too thin. I also decided to print two and glue them together, to avoid the 3D printing problem of overhangs looking like crap. A little bit more printing to get the rails right, and we have a large door

I'm not sure about the hang distance - I may still redesign the hanger to get the doors closer to the wall, I'm going to glue a test rail to a test piece of foam to see how it looks.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2024, 08:05:45 AM »
I'm digging the pre-fab look and your attention to detail on the doors.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2024, 09:12:24 AM »
With all the printing and the connection points in the base modules, this is now giving me serious Playmobil vibes :)

Which is a good thing, mind.

The small door is really awesome; a great find, that picture, and kudo's on replicating it so closely. It's almost as if they took a door out of a ship and rammed it into a concrete slab...

Looking at it more closely, it's actually two doors in one, in the picture  ???

Will yours look as delapidated as the door in the photo?