Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dux Bellorum : best ranges 15mm miniatures  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Fabien

• Assistant
Dux Bellorum : best ranges 15mm miniatures
« on: February 27, 2024, 09:11:51 PM »
Hi

I want to play the rule Dux Bellorum with my friends.

According to your experiences, I would like to know which ranges of 15mm miniatures are the best (aesthetic, homogeneity between armies, diversity of poses, command, ease of painting...)

Thank you very much.

Fabien
Fabien

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
Re: Dux Bellorum : best ranges 15mm miniatures
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 10:27:42 PM »
Hi Fabien,

I think if you're after several different armies then Forged in Battle is probably your best bet. They're pretty consistent modern sculpts and the range is huge. There's over 160 packs in their Dark Ages range, but there are also potentially useful packs in their Ancients range as well (early Franks, Goths, early Saxons, Scots-Irish etc.). I checked and there are webstores carrying the whole range in the EU, which should also save you a bit of bother. The website is pretty good and has photos of all the packs.

https://www.forgedinbattle.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=195_200

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 12:54:34 AM »
Second vote for Forged in Battle.  Plus you can source buildings from them, too, at least for some periods.

Haven't started painting mine yet but I have some and they look like nice, clean sculpts, not much flash.  Figure poses might not be as much as you like but overall options are unexpectedly large.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 06:19:10 AM »
Fabien, I would agree that Forged in Battle are very nice but if wanting them for Dux Bellorum I presume you plan to game 5-6th century Britain? Their Romano-British range is quite extensive and has all you need, but be careful about which Saxon range you choose, as one is for a much later period.  As has already been said they also produce a very nice range of buildings.

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 09:58:58 AM »
Might be worth a scroll through this thread, certainly for the Wiglaf minis

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=139863.0

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 10:19:38 AM »
From what I've seen the Wiglaf figures are very nice but (a) are 18mm not 15mm and (b) currently only cover the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy, so no "Romano-British". 

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 12:47:04 PM »
From what I've seen the Wiglaf figures are very nice but (a) are 18mm not 15mm and (b) currently only cover the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy, so no "Romano-British". 

I absolutely love the Wiglaf minis, but you're right. You can just about get away with them vs. Big 15s, but they're still noticeably larger, they're pretty much on-the-nose 7th century (so only really useful for 'Late period' games of Dux Bel), and they don't yet have any opposition. I live in hope for some Wiglaf Brits/Welsh or Irish being released one day, but as Mr Mersey is a one-man band I think I will have to be patient.

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 10:07:11 AM »
I support the Forged in Battle endorsement. I have a very large pile of unpainted Saxons, Normans and Vikings that are edging their way, slowly, to the painting table.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 10:47:07 AM »
James Morris did a post that includes comparisons between Wiglaf and Forged in Battle.
https://mogsymakes.net/2022/02/26/small-far-away-part-3-more-15mm-dark-ages/

Offline Fabien

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 08:19:46 PM »
Thank you all! for your answers and comments.  :)

I look carefully at the Forged in Battle range.

@Old Hob : I looked at your minis in your last posts. They look fantastic, and very well painted. I makes you want to!

@TWD : thanks for your link about comparison between Forged in Battle and Wiglaf minis. Very interesting!

@SJWi : your comment how to make the right choice of Saxon figs is essential. Thank you.

I will give you some news of my project.

Fabien

Offline DaveCrow

• Student
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 08:50:31 PM »
Splintered Light Miniatures do a nice range for the period. Arthurian Romano-British, early and late Saxons, Welsh, Irish, Picts, Normans, and Vikings. As well as some civilians and really nice character and personality packs.

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2024, 09:21:01 PM »
Thistle and Rose make some really interesting figures with quite a bit of variety.  They are worth a look and are not talked about enough in my opinion.  They have some great characters and personalities too.

Allen

Offline George1863

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 05:35:36 PM »
I suggest also Khurusan, from the US. Among the best 15mm I have seen in most ranges (they use different sculptors). Don't be put off by import taxes. There is always a way round, as their website advises.