Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:17:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Heroquest- A Review  (Read 694 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Heroquest- A Review
« on: February 28, 2024, 07:26:06 PM »

For Christmas this year I got this nostalgia-bait.  I had this when I was a younger person, and played the heck out of it.  I also used my existing D&D and WHFB minis to expand the heck out of it.  You could say, it was the first game I actually heavily modified as a budding wargame designer!  New enemies, new heroes, and new magic!  I also used it as a gateway to suck a lot of folks into RPGs and Wargaming back then.  Mwahahahahahahaha!

Therefore, when it came back out I knew I would eventually get it.  Lo and behold, here it is!  One of my big projects for this year will be to get this bad boy painted up so I can use it to corrupt more people into wargaming!  So, let's dig in and take a look at what is in the box. 

I am sure many folks are all ready familiar with this game, so I just highlight the box contents, some of the simple mechanics, and talk about what its potential is.  You can read about it on the blog if you are so inclined. 

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2024/01/review-heroquest-avalon-hillhasbro-plus.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Heroquest- A Review
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 11:20:49 PM »
It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I had a similar realization.  People asked me when I started tinkering with games...and upon recollection, discovered I had been doing it since receiving the original Hero Quest at around age 10.  I'd written up hero cards for a variety of old lead Ral Partha figures I picked up from the local model shop.

I'm reliving a similar project...as I'm building Battle Masters units for some alternate rules I'm writing - so the nostalgia of having a "fully painted" Battle Masters game (albeit played with more modern rules) is pretty potent.

PS: I bought into the 'Hero Quest' failed Kickstarter by Gamezone many moons ago..basically because at the time I had a young niece and nephew.  Well they're much older now, and while I considered the new Hero Quest, I was a bit put off by the "World of Warcraft" styled miniatures.  I know you could easily replace them, and maybe I will in the future.  I have seen the new Hero Quest on blow-out sale already in some places, so it has tempted me.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Heroquest- A Review
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 11:49:44 PM »
You made me read a review of Heroquest in 2024. :D

Yup, I agree with the points made (apart from the claim that thew new figures were better than the old ones ;) ). HQ fills this niche perfectly: it introduces people to playing with figures. The game itself is simplistic, but that makes it all the more inviting to people to mess with it. I'm a member of several HQ Facebook groups and I find it astounding how much time people seem to spend making up house-rules and custom characters and so on.

As a kid I was the Starquest / Space Crusade kid and my friend then had Heroquest. So since our paths split I never got my hands on HQ again (even though I think I own a set of HQ figures I got from someone). Still, in 2021 or so I gave in and bought the new version. It was the pandemic, the niece and others had to be introduced to miniature gaming... and the insane thing is that after HQ was gone nothing came after it to fill that niche. Later dungeon crawlers got complicated and overblown, none of them had the simplicity of HQ.

In my opinion HQ should be available on shelves at toy stores at any time. At a non-insane price. And looking at how thigs are now.... it almost looks like we got that. Which is great.