Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:52:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cold War table setup & Terrain Survey - What do YOU want see? [COMMERCIAL]  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
    • Brutal Cities Wargaming Architecture

Hi everyone,
I've finally had a chance for a few more games of Seven Days to the River Rhine (I think one of the best rules sets out there)

I'm doing a survey too at the moment on epic scale terrain - 6-15mm scales. What sort of buildings should I tackle next? What would you love available for your small scale games? Please let me know in the survey! - It will only take 2 mins and for your time you can get some discount codes for helping me out :)

Link here >
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScy8wMoWDTU2SC5LmZ2QczFg6vpBRUAjVDPBy1waGacYMSl-A/viewform

There's also a quick tutorial here for a fun idea for making those coconut coir fields looks a bit more interesting https://brutalcities.com/blogs/news/15mm-terrain-fields-tutorial

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 10:29:40 AM by Brutal Cities »
www.brutalcities.com - Wargaming Architecture

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
I suspect most of what people need for small and indeed large urban areas In Cold War Germany can be met with the various German railway manufacturers either in  1/87 or 1/144 OO or N scale. Heki, Vollmer, etc produce extensive ranges of suitable models, everything from typical village and rural dwellings, supermarkets through main street layouts to cathedrals. Not cheap mind you but these are realistic and mostly period appropriate structures.

Perhaps foolishly, I have chosen to do the Cold War in 28mm where such offerings are few and far between. Were you to turn your mind to larger scales, there's a host of gaps to be filled. Typical 3 or 4 storey post war apartment and commercial buildings, the sort of things you'd find from Bremen to Berlin, (West Berlin that is) are largely absent. These are not just found in major cities but also regional towns. A mix of older and post war structures (many pre-war structures being rebuilt).  Mansard roofs, dormer windows.  The idea that everything was rebuilt in modern styles is demonstrably untrue. Innate conservatism meant that much of the destroyed housing stock was rebuilt in styles similar to what stood before, although in Berlin the Mietskaserne were usually replaced with more open plans. The height limitations in cities like Berlin mean that in inner areas people build up to the height where possible (the general rule in Berlin being a maximum of 22 metres at the eaves of a building)

If you are looking at simple structures then things like U-Bahn entrances are iconic as are scatter terrain items like the yellow phone cabinets and post boxes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 06:03:06 AM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
I can only echo what Carlos has said really; most stuff will be easily sourced through model railroad channels, but the ubiquitous appartment buildings are hard to come by.

I could do with some of those in 6mm for cold war gone hot, but if they're suitably era-neutral, I'm also in the market for 10mm ones for use with Dropzone Commander...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
I can only echo what Carlos has said really; most stuff will be easily sourced through model railroad channels, but the ubiquitous appartment buildings are hard to come by.

I could do with some of those in 6mm for cold war gone hot, but if they're suitably era-neutral, I'm also in the market for 10mm ones for use with Dropzone Commander...

There isn't a railroad scale that sites with 6 mm that I am aware of. 

I'd like to see a decent implementation of a 6 mm railway.  Would work for WWI, II and III potentially.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
There isn't a railroad scale that sites with 6 mm that I am aware of. 

I'd like to see a decent implementation of a 6 mm railway.  Would work for WWI, II and III potentially.
Unfortunately not, 1/300 is intermediate between Z (1/200) and T (1/450).

That would be about 5mm gauge.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Brutal Cities, I'd echo most of the other comments. I game 1980s "moderns" in both 6mm and 15mm.  I use German railway stuff for my 15mm and manufacturers such as Timecast and Leven for 6mm. There are OK ranges of buildings "out there" but extras such as road/autobahn signs, power pylons, phone boxes, traffic lights are noticeable by their absence and really add "period feel". 

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Unfortunately not, 1/300 is intermediate between Z (1/200) and T (1/450).

That would be about 5mm gauge.

I demand to see the 6mm William Killian. :D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
I’d also echo Carlos’ comments about commonly used models in smaller scales….

…and I’d also love to see some 28mm options for Cold War

:)

Offline HESH

• Librarian
Another vote for 20mm and 28mm .

This year will see a number of new ranges released so it may well gain on popularity.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
I demand to see the 6mm William Killian. :D
Aaaaaagh!!!
^___^
Unless Karl has a new range and scale in the works?

Does anyone do 6mm civilians.

One year at Salute Forgeworld had a multi-part Epic space marine.

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
Thanks everyone for your feedback  :) but if you haven't please write it in the survey so I have it all.

I may have not explained it well, but the current offering is kind of unique due to the proportions, materials and details I have intentionally designed into these kits. There's some more information with pictures on this website, but that is likely what I will continue to do to a degree, depending on the survey results - why? Because lots of people play multiple scales (And settings), and have limited space so the range I have thus far is probably a tad more expensive than typical terrain at this scale (But shipping you pay is about 40-50% the price of the real shipping cost, and you also get (IMO) pretty great value because overall you can get a lot more use with this terrain. Also the plastic material looks awesome!

More info here - https://brutalcities.com/pages/epic-scale-terrain (Ignore the sci-fi references, it's just modernist & brutalist terrain, which is why I posted here. But I think the strength of the designs is again, the flexibility as it works great as sci-fi terrain too. The Expanse, Robocop, Bladerunner and heaps heaps more films love to use Brutalism in their sci-fi worlds.

I've got a couple apartment designs in 15mm nearly complete actually!

I've made a new blog post about the survey https://brutalcities.com/blogs/news/epic-scale-terrain-survey
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 10:45:12 AM by Brutal Cities »

Offline Brutal Cities

• Assistant
Appreciate the survey responses so far, there's a discount code available for your time if you're interested in any of our terrain in these smaller scales :)

Offline nickdives

• Librarian
Echo what people say,  useful terrain would be farm complexes, Schnellies, garages, stuff one would find out of town.