Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 Daeothar's Frostgrave Warband Camp  (Read 11910 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: BSC2024 Daeothar's Frostgrave Warband Camp
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2024, 08:45:08 AM »
A cool idea and a cracking start sir. I really like your stone work.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2024, 10:42:38 AM »
The stone walls look very good!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 12:01:01 PM »
Thanks fellas  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 05:11:42 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2024, 01:59:47 PM »
Great stonework.

If you're going to extend the walls, as if this was part of a larger structure rather than just the size of the single room, you may want to make some gaps in the join.  That way bricks can join the 2 parts together, rather than 2 separate walls next to each other.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2024, 02:12:09 PM »
Absolutely, but I've planned an outside door right next to the intact room, which is why it's all (sort of) flush  :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2024, 03:14:02 PM »
Sort of flush yes, but still not looking quite natural after adding the door I fear ::)

Still; the intention was to create a building out of uneven stones (for visual interest), which was also partial destroyed (for fluff reasons). So anything looking haphazard and crooked only adds to the overall look. That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking with it  :D

To make the doorway as stable as possible, I added a metal wire as the core of the stones forming the doorway. The wires pin into the base, so after the glue dries, this will be quite sturdy (I hope).

There will be piles of fallen stonework on both sides of the wall too, which will also help with stability. The cardboard door will be taken out once everything is dry; it's just there to add stability and shape in the meantime.

I've found the most difficult part of this way of building is waiting for the glue to dry. I bought some super fast drying PVA for exactly this purpose, but the advertized 4 minutes on the bottle are really optimistic. At least; with the amounts and materials I'm using ::)

So I at least have the time to post this  lol

Online Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2024, 04:09:14 PM »
Looks great. Try Aleene's Tacky Glue - it works wonderfully and really is much tackier than white glue and holds right away
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 05:19:11 PM by Burgundavia »

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2024, 04:53:09 PM »
The join in those 2 walls looks really good.  Really liking how this build is coming along.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2024, 04:54:22 PM »
Looks great to me - the stonework is grand.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2024, 09:07:48 AM »
Cheers guys :)

I've been stacking along, but there's only so much one can do before stuff needs to dry again. I've piled up bricks around the corner and on the fly have decided that there should be a partially collapsed doorway there as well.

So I cut some more door/window stones (as I've called them), which are uniform in size and shape, and proceeded to form a partial doorway. In order to support the free-hanging half arch of the door, I added another metal wire as an armature. I glued this in place with PVA, as I don't have foam-safe superglue, so I had to rig up a temporary jig to hold it in position while the glue set.

Which is why there are ABC blocks, a cardboard doorway and a foam spacer in the picture. I removed them this morning before going off to work, and it worked. So I can now string the door/window stones like beads as soon as I have time and continue with the walls.

Progress is slow but steady 8)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2024, 09:48:20 AM »
These collapsed walls and doorways give the feeling the still standing room was part of a (much) bigger structure! Well done!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2024, 07:20:52 PM »

I've found the most difficult part of this way of building is waiting for the glue to dry. I bought some super fast drying PVA for exactly this purpose, but the advertized 4 minutes on the bottle are really optimistic. At least; with the amounts and materials I'm using ::)

So I at least have the time to post this  lol

I use this wood glue for years now.

The bottle says it cures in 5 minutes. I'm not sure about that (never timed it), but it drys pretty fast, definitely under 10 minutes.

Good progress, I really like the doors. I'm sure it will look really good painted.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2024, 01:10:07 PM »
Thanks guys 8)

@ McMordain: I've been using Uhu Woodglue Express for this project (see picture: my local hobby store imports a lot from Germany). It does dry faster than the Bison Fastdrying Woodglue I normally use, but not that much. Still; it works. I will give your Pattex recommendation a try once this bottle runs dry :)

On the stonelaying front; I've pretty much completed the first floor! I suppose that's a bit of a milestone, right?

There will be some more ruined wall on the second floor (or even above), but I'm holding off on that right now, so I can have easier access to the room itself.

Next job will be the floors.

They will be tiled, and I'm looking at patterns right now; I want something a bit more elaborate than the ubiquitous checkerboard pattern, as I imagine this house to have been the home of a rich wizard during Felstadt's heyday...

Offline Tarnegol

• Librarian
    • My Biblical Wargaming blog.
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2024, 01:45:11 PM »

Next job will be the floors.

They will be tiled, and I'm looking at patterns right now; I want something a bit more elaborate than the ubiquitous checkerboard pattern, as I imagine this house to have been the home of a rich wizard during Felstadt's heyday...

As it was already a wizard's place how about tiles (or mosaic) decorated and/or arranged to result in some king of 'magic circle'?

Whatever you do it should be spectacular if it's up to the standard of the masonry!
"One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off."

Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2024, 09:28:35 PM »
I've been looking at many, many tiled floors from loads of different styles, ages and cultures the past couple of days. I've also given a lot of thought about how to create them.

My original plan was to use some glossy cardboard and cut out each individual tile. This would be fairly easy were I to do the floors in simple, square tiles of, say, 1cm on the side. Any small inaccuracies would be negligible during the laying of the tiles then.

But as I said; I want something a bit more elaborate, although not a full blown mozaic floor either. But anything small, and we'd be talking 1/2mm's, and any errors there would result in wonky patterns. Something I'd like to avoid.

I pretty soon had a rough idea of what I was after and several dozen of sourced pictures later, I had a bit of an epiphany: why not 3D print them? I mean; all the cool kids are doing it, so why not give it a go?

So this evening, I roughed out some sketches of patterns, picked the one I liked best and replicated it on Tinkercad. The result you can see below.

There are 4 types of tile required, and I figured I'd be able to print enough in one or two sessions for the project. All the floors inside the house, but outside of the intact room will be tiled.

In my head these are common spaces, such as corridors, vestibules etc, while the actual rooms are furnished with wood flooring instead.

So let's see if I will be able to pull this off. And if my printer will even be able to print something the size of the smallest tiles! Otherwise, there's always the cardboard...  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 09:30:11 PM by Daeothar »