Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:39:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Powder River Patrol  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
The Powder River Patrol
« on: March 05, 2024, 04:44:52 PM »
The Powder River Patrol had been pushing their horses hard, bringing the word to settlers. to make their way to Fort Starke, Corporal Blaine made the call to unsaddle, hobble and feed their mounts, while they investigated the abandoned village...

"Corporal, looksee!"

Shouted Trooper Twoflags.]

"Hell!"

Replied the Corporal.

"Saddle and mount up boys."

"I'm a suspicioned we'll be makin' us a rapid ree-treat!"

Hostile eyes are watching!

SMOKE SIGNALS!!!

Not every snake, slithering along the Canyon of Death, has two legs!

. The cards may well prove a cruel Mistress.

The outcome of this 'ere shindig may well come down to the power of the single action .45 calibre Army Colt

The panicky Troopers rush to saddle up, Just as Corporal Blayne gives the order to mount up, Rifles roar and arrow whistle! Blayne stumbles as he takes an arrow,

Tpr. Whistle's horse drags him off his feet, and bolts away.

Against the odds, the wounded Corporal and Tpr. Twoflags, mount up. Bugler Courtney quickly joins them.

[/img]

The intrepid Tpr. Tyree not only mounts, but remains cool enough to catch the packs.

Young Tpr. Coconut, a greenhorn mounts, in a funk he abandons his bunkie, Tpr. Whistle!

Howling, bronzed warpainted savages fall on the luckless Whistle.

Whistle's no greenhorn, he's an old sweat, quickly sending the Braves to the Happy Hunting Grounds.

But this night, Whistle goes home by a road he does not know. Overwhelmed he leaves a circle of dead Indians around him, before biting the dust.

The true face of the Plains Wars!

Standing tall, The Great lame Beaver gives the signal to charge. He leaps aboard his finest pony, now the chase is on!
Whooping Braves race their pony's to catch the patrol.

With his patrol now well in hand Corporal Blayne increases the pace. The heavy Cavalry horses are sadly no match for the fleet Indian pony's.

The troopers unload their pistols, thinning the Braves. The Braves's bloods up though, in the swirling dust, first Tyree and then Corporal Blayne himself are dragged from their mounts by screeching Redmen!

An excellently mounted Trooper Twoflags avoids the same fate. Running for the Canyon of Doom.

Corporal Blayne and Tpr. Tyree are soon back in the saddle, in the swirling dust, they get a break on. Both Tprs Coconut and Courtney are less fortunate, shot from their saddles, they're quickly overwhelmed.

Despite being grievously wounded, both dying Troopers face one final indignity.

Despite being hampered by the packhorse Tpr. Tyree negotiates the Canyon of Doom.

Tpr. Twoflags and a flagging Corporal Blayne reach the Canyon of Doom.

But it's here that Blayne's wound takes it's toll, climbing from the Canyon he falls from his mount. The Great Lame Beaver whoops in triumph! The Corporal waves his empty pistol, and draws his hunting knife. The Indian Chief hesitates for a second, he's not to know, Blayne's pistol is empty. He knows the Bluecoats with the yellow warpaint on their arms have powerful medicine. Being a War Chief of the Cheyenne is greater medicine, he charges!

Almost upon the Corporal, The Great Lame Beaver drags his pony, slithering to a halt. Clear and loud comes the sound of a *buggel in the afternoon!
The Cheyenne Warrior glowers at a defiant Blanye. In a swirl of dust the War party vanishes from sight. Corporal Blayne holsters his Colt, and gathers the Patrol's survivors around him. From another dust cloud, Captain Brittles and C Troop emerge. The Captain dismounts, two of his Troopers, support the injured Corporal...

"Report Corporal."

"Sir, we reached the rendezvous as ordered, you weren't there!"

"I wanted to be Corporal, carry on."

Corporal Blayne made his report, emphasising Tpr. Tyree's gallantry in saving the packs full of ammunition. Captain Brittles nodded in acknowledgement.

"Good report, go on yer record. Ought to make Sergeant in two to five years."

Back on the Plains, The Great Lame Beaver climbs the Spirit Mountain. He sings a victory song to the Great God Manitou.

Lower down the mountain, vultures decide it's teatime!

*Forty years ago my son had just started learning to read. They used to put old Cavalry and Indian films on in the afternoon back then. What's this one called, I asked the lad...

"Buggels in the Afternoon, Dad!"

;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 10:16:41 AM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Re: The Powder River Patrol
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 07:02:00 PM »
Top notch Steve, the cavalry will arrive soon to save the day.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2024, 10:18:22 AM »
We'll hold 'em till hell freezes over, or you say different!

;)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 11:07:21 AM »
Oh wow  :o

Nice looking table and impressive selection of figures!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 11:35:09 AM »
Thanks chaps.

:)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 11:38:51 AM »
Fantastic report with some awesome figures and terrain. Especially like the scalping photo! Lots of drama there.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 12:35:03 PM »
Britannia Miniatures those two. Old figures, tag cartoony, and a nightmare to clean up. Still my go to figures for Pony Wars, it's the Wild West, and the Britannia lads look just that... wild!

:-*

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 03:06:06 PM »
Love the vulture with the skeletal remains - with a bit of meat still on.  I have some 3D printed skulls I was planning to use - but now I will bring in a few larger skeletal remains I have, too.  Idea duly 'stolen'!

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 05:43:21 PM »
Lovely report.  You can rely on Capt. Brittles to save the day.  He did have his brand new fancy pocket watch, ya know...   ;)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 07:13:10 PM »
"By my brand new silver watch and chain, it's time to move on out. Next patrol to pick up."
 :)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Do Massacree mean wot I think it do?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 08:58:37 AM »
It Do!!!

The Red River Patrol have set up camp by a dried up Gulch. None of the Patrol being aware the Redman is on the rampage! Even so their Sergeant's an old sweat, two Troopers are detailed as lookouts.

Not a moment too soon, Cheyenne Dog Soldiers break cover!

The great Lame Beavers waves his War Lance, his Warriors charge the Camp.

An excellent Carbine shot drops a Brave on the wing!

Trooper Smith matches his Bunkie's shot with one of his own!

A shower of arrows whistle back in reply, both lookouts taking one each.

Trooper Yorke catches his straight through the whistlepipe!

The heavy hitting Cavalry Carbines stop several Braves in their tracks.

Disaster strikes the Troopers. One after another their Carbines jam, the cartridge case rim separate from the case.

Leaving the heavy weapons useless. By the time the Troopers draw their sidearm's the Braves are on them!

A last volley of arrows and the Savages close!

A desperate life or death struggle as the Patrol's camp is overrun.

In short order only the Bugler's left standing. He breaks free and sprints for the rocks.

He's quickly run down, killed and scalped!

Last man standing, Trooper Smith on the bluff, resolves to take as many of the howling Savages with him. He falls to The Great Lame Beaver's War Lance.

Triumphant yelping Dog Soldiers mob the wounded Trooper. He too is butchered and scalped.

After the orgy of scalping and massacre, the Braves ransack the enemy camp. The Great Lame Beaver takes the packhorse and fills his War Party's hands with ammunition.

As the dust of the fight settles the Braves begin a War Dance. The Great Lame Beaver mounts, and gallops away. He's soon back up the Spirit Mountain, giving it large to Manitou!

:o
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 09:02:36 AM by Harry Faversham »

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 11:12:06 AM »

Great game, I love the dry river bed.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 01:53:21 PM »
Fun game but curious what rules you are using - especially rules that allow Indians who've taken such heavy casualties to continue on with the fight rather than stop to deal with the disaster.  Of course, game - and life - could have resulted just as this did but more likely the Indians break off the attack as too expensive in lives.   

Then again, after this 'massacre', likely there is going to be 'terrible retribution' dished out by the cavalry in the near future.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 02:08:41 PM »
Fistful of Lead are the rules used, and The Great Lame Beaver's Indians are made of stern stuff.
As regards 'terrible retribution' stay tuned for next week's thrilling episode!

:o

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 04:15:05 PM »
FFOL are good rules - for plains wars I will be "bolting on" some version of the Yellow Ribbon native rules to keep them from being too powerful.