Forum > Adventures in the Far East

I am planning on getting 28mm Warring States Chinese, what rule sets work?

(1/2) > >>

bvandewalker:
So I bought $75 worth of Wargames Atlantic store credit via their Vox Populi, which I am saving for my voted topic Warring States Chinese*. I have been  wanting these or one of the other post bronze age Chinese dynasties for fantasy gaming for years (OG universe non-WFB related gaming at that), however I am playing with the idea of duel using these fellows for history gaming once I have them since Warring States is one eras of that actually looks fun to game to me and I already have RGD Scythians that could theoretically stand in for Nomad tribes in the area  (not well, but workable).

So to the point, I am think about rulesets. I do own a copy of  Warhammer Ancients  (not the Art of War, just the basic) and I do have KoW history (which is probably what I will look at), but I would like to know if there are any better or more thematic rulesets for the Warring States era.

*(you can look them over here: https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/vox-populi/products/warring-states-infantry-1-vote)

SJWi:
My "go to" ancient big battle ( ie not skirmish) set are Simon Miller's "To the Strongest" which work for most armies 1200BC - 1485AD. I think they are available from Wargames Vault and have separate books of army lists for the ancient and medieval periods.

SJWi:
By the way I've just checked the Ancient Army list book for TTS and there is a whole section for "ancient armies of the Orient" which includes Warring States. 

Keeper Nilbog:
I use "Swordpoint" for my Warring States/3 Kingdoms Chinese armies (though I use the now defunct MM 10mm range, and reduced base sizes). The lists seem fine, and are separate for Warring States and 3 Kingdoms - the end of one is the beginning of the other (move away from Chariots towards Cavalry, and Cavalry becoming a more important arm).

Watching the WA Chinese range (they planned Cavalry and Chariots along with the Infantry - but when we see those is anyone's guess). If you can get a copy of "Art of War", I'd recommend it as it's the best "army/faction" book in my opinion.

FreyaSophie:
There is a ruleset for 28mm titled "Warring States" by Chris Peers that is available from Brigade Games in the US

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version