Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:47:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Essex Miniatures Horse and Cavalryman Medieval, Renaissance Codes?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Hi,

Following on from years of procrastination and indecision (mainly because I could not find the images on then Essex site!) it has come to the time where I make my dream to put together a *Late* Timurid/Post Timurid army actionable (I hope!).

Having emailed Essex miniatures asking for the codes for the following 28mm horses and cavalrymen and received lots of codes for the Thirty Years War/ECW in 15mm. Then to be told "We're working on it" (Ok, that means they're very busy right?)  I have decided to open the subject up to the group.

If anyone can let me know what the codes are for both the barded and caparisoned horses plus the cavalryman from the various images below I would be eternally grateful.

Incidentally, all the amazing brushwork below is by Scot Ramage- a precision painter with a very individual style- what it's all about really.

Cheers

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Essex Miniatures Horse and Cavalryman Medieval, Renaissance Codes?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 03:13:59 PM »
Can anyone help? Pretty please?  :)

Online Thew2

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 07:50:43 PM »
I'm afraid I can't really help, although I am interested in any replies. I have some of the Irregular timurids, which are very nice, but the horses are a bit skinny, and I'd like to remount them on Essex horses.

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect, as I can only see 2 horse codes that look relevant on the Essex website, but there are at least half a dozen different horses in the pictures you attached. It's not clear if the 2 codes have a number of variants

PS, if you haven't already considered the Irregular timurids, they are worth checking out. I think they were sculpted by a french chap, and have very characterful faces. 

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 05:50:00 AM »
Morning all. As per the previous post I can't really help but as Essex don't seem to produce a Timurid range assume the painter is using "proxy" figures.  I suspect they are from the Persian and Mameluke range ( the latter being in the Medieval Crusades list). In fact looking at the Crusades list I am pretty sure the Mameluke code CR56 is in the photo. I also googled "Essex 28mm Persians" and then went on "images". I am 99% that the pictures of a Persian armoured bowman and lancer again match figures in your photo. As for horses I suspect they have used H40/41 ( Islamic Persian barded) plus some judicious use of ancient armoured horses ( H22/23) but this is conjecture.

Yes rather annoying that the Essex website isn't fully illustrated. After all these figures have been around I think since the late '70s-mid '80s. I recall buying some Essex Poles and Muscovites when they were first released. I also suspect they are more "25mm" rather than "modern" 28s.       

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 07:51:20 AM »
Yes rather annoying that the Essex website isn't fully illustrated. After all these figures have been around I think since the late '70s-mid '80s. I recall buying some Essex Poles and Muscovites when they were first released. I also suspect they are more "25mm" rather than "modern" 28s.       

Yeah, they're been around since the early 80's and were certainly advertised in the very first copy of Wargames Illustrated I ever bought!

Still, they have some very useful miniatures and if painted up just right (as Scot Ramage shows in the pictures) they can look the business :)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 11:49:37 AM »

I have a bunch of Essex miniatures in my medieval and renaissance collections and they fit in quite well with 28mm. Although they were originally sold as 25mm they were giants compared with the likes of Minifigs back in the day.

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 01:16:03 PM »
I have lots of Essex medieval crossbowmen and some horses, I would say they similar in height and size to Perries Agincourt range. I believe Essex recast some of their figurers and don't advertise the fact!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 03:52:06 PM »
Guys, with all due respect, can we please stay OT? I wasn't asking about their size, I has hoping you could help me out with the codes (many are not pictured on their site) :)

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 09:08:38 PM »
I noticed they have added some photo's of Persian heavy Cavalry on the site, although the horses don't look like the cavalry in your photos! It is a pity they don't just take a quick photo of H40/41 for you, as none of the other descriptions fit.

PS did a search on ebay and found an example of H41, it has a metallic hood and fully scaled/padded armour, it doesn't appear to be in that photo.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 10:06:19 PM by Johnp4000 »

Online Thew2

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 09:59:13 PM »
As I mentioned, I have been thinking of ordering some of the horses, so I might buy a few samples as a test.  If I do I'll post some pictures up on here. I'm afraid I'm not planning to buy any of the riders though.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 11:44:06 AM »
I noticed they have added some photo's of Persian heavy Cavalry on the site, although the horses don't look like the cavalry in your photos!

Yeah, they have done this since I asked for the codes! Madness  lol The horses are bought separately, which is a good idea IMHO (as long as everything is photographed on your website! It's crazy, I sent the first image in my original post again (third time!) and they sent back the images after saying this was all they knew about. Yet, I know that the miniatures are from Essex as the original painter has told me so.......

PS did a search on ebay and found an example of H41, it has a metallic hood and fully scaled/padded armour, it doesn't appear to be in that photo.

John, I've never done so many google searches in my life with this proposed project  lol lol lol

As always though, thank you with your assistance, you're always good at coming to my rescue but I think that this time we have both been beaten by the manufacturer who doesn't seem to want me to spend the hundreds of pounds it would cost me for a full Timurid army with them!  o_o

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 01:00:17 PM »
Don't give up yet, you have got me fascinated too. I think from the ebay photo H41 is the same horse as is shown on Essex's site under the Islamic Persian cavalry in Quilted jacket, I suspect H40 is the horse with the metallic plates on its neck. The real mystery is in the first picture, the first six riders, never seen that horse before not sure if they are Essex Horses? They look a different style, are they the same size?
I don't think Essex realise your commitment to the art and the potential lost of revenue from both you and the free advertising when you post photos of completed models, it would be very easy to snap a photo of their display tray which shows all the horses. A last thought, do you remember they used to do packs of 25mm Ready made armies, they used to show the lists online and they showed all the codes used in the pack. They might still have copies of the Persian Islamic list?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 04:45:09 PM »
I think you're right about the horses being Islamic Persia H41 and it's pal on the Essex site, This is a huge relief so many thanks- I didn't notice it so my gratitude mon ami  8) They will be great for an armed to the teeth Elite Timurid Cavalry regiment. The hard part now is going to be avoiding being too influenced by Scot's wonderful painting!  o_o

Now, to order!