Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:16:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 10
Guests: 763
Total: 773

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for 28mm SYW Freikorps Flags  (Read 429 times)

Offline Mad Padre

• Bookworm
    • Mad Padre Wargames
Looking for 28mm SYW Freikorps Flags
« on: March 09, 2024, 02:06:26 PM »
Hello friends:
I have some terrific SYW Friekorps figures from Foundry that are in my painting queue - Von Kleist Uhlans and a some foot (regiment to be determined).    I'm having trouble sourcing flags from my go to suppliers - neither Adolfo Ramos nor GMB seem to offer Friekorps.   Flag Dude has a few (Von Kleist dragoons and foot) which would do in a pinch, though I'm not sure how active he is these days.
Would be grateful for any other suggestions?
Cheers,
Mike the Mad Padre

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
Re: Looking for 28mm SYW Freikorps Flags
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 02:55:01 PM »
I may be wrong but I do not think the Freikorps carried flags.

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 03:41:11 PM »
No flags for freikorps, either Prussian or Austrian.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 06:27:53 PM »
Hello friends:
I have some terrific SYW Friekorps figures from Foundry that are in my painting queue - Von Kleist Uhlans and a some foot (regiment to be determined).    I'm having trouble sourcing flags from my go to suppliers - neither Adolfo Ramos nor GMB seem to offer Friekorps.   Flag Dude has a few (Von Kleist dragoons and foot) which would do in a pinch, though I'm not sure how active he is these days.
Would be grateful for any other suggestions?
Cheers,
Mike the Mad Padre
Maverick Models have them, but some are mis-labelled in their catalogue:  http://www.maverick-models.com/SYW%20Flags/SYW%20Prussia.html

The Kleist Frei-Dragoons' (black) guidon is listed as the Kleist Dragoons Regimental Colour.

The Kleist Frei-Hussars (white) guidon is mis-labelled as the Kleist Dragoons Colonel's Colour (the flag actually has a very small picture of a hussar on it!).

The black and red standards for the Kleist Frei-Uhlans are hidden away among 'Other Infantry Regiments', which is a bit strange (perhaps because they're square flags without fringes?).  They're listed as 'Colonel's' and 'Regimental' flags, but that's just a guess; the seniority of those flags isn't actually recorded anywhere.

It isn't known if the Kleist 'Croat' Regiment carried flags, but given that the Kleist Frei-Hussars, Dragoons and Uhlans did, it seems fairly likely that the Croats did.  Maverick don't do any flags for the Croats, but I did find a blog that had some conjectural black and white flags available to download and print off.  I'll see if I can find it; it wasn't David Morfitt's 'Not By Appointment' blog and I have a feeling that it might have been the 'Der Alte Fritz' blog.

No other Prussian or Austrian Freikorps are known to have had flags.

It's possible that there might also have been other flags for the Kleist cavalry regiments; e.g. a white Colonel's standard for the Dragoons and Uhlans or a coloured squadron standard for the hussars.  We simply don't know.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 07:10:17 PM by Jemima Fawr »
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 06:29:05 PM »
I may be wrong but I do not think the Freikorps carried flags.
Kleist's Freikorps did, but they're the only known example.

Offline Mad Padre

• Bookworm
    • Mad Padre Wargames
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 08:09:06 PM »
My thanks to all who responded and grateful to you all.
I think I was initially confused because I was looking at a Foundry SYWP command pack and mistakenly thought they were Friekorps.  In fact, Foundry doesn't make any Freikorps foot figures carrying flags.  It makes sense that if most of the Friekorps were recruited for the kleine krieg, that they wouldn't have carried flags in the field, and since old Fritz didn't care for them he would have been unlikely to grant them banners.
I was also confused because Summerfeld's book on the Friekorps shows Von Kleist flags, including one for the Uhlan regiment that I'm going to paint, so I'm especially grateful for being told about Maverick Models.
Cheers all,
Mike the Mad Padre

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 08:21:20 PM »
Here's the gen from Bleckwenn:

The Kleist Frei-Husaren (there is some debate as to whether or not this standard had a fringed edge):

The Kleist Frei-Dragoner-Regiment is known to have used a very similar standard in black:

The Kleist Frei-Uhlanen:

Having searched and searched for the above-mentioned blog, I can't for the life of me find it again, so can't credit the creator of these flags.  I will if I ever find out who it was!  But anyway, here are those conjectural flags for the Kleist 'Croats':

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 08:26:44 PM by Jemima Fawr »