Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:06:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690934
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Finding my way around 3D print ranges  (Read 550 times)

Offline redrob

• Librarian
Finding my way around 3D print ranges
« on: March 10, 2024, 01:29:39 PM »
Peasants, villeins, lords, and ladies!

How does this 3d printing thing work? I cannot afford a 3D printer and the prices for some printed models appear to be creative (in the GW sense), I see some here and see some there. But never able to see a complete list of anything.
Medbury are fantastic, Northern Crusades left a very bad taste both quality and price, V and V look good then I go onto something called Tribes and I don't have a darn clue!
In my day a company had  one piece where you might see all their models with prices, but this world seems so arcane. It's like if you know you know.
A range by a company new to me Popped up on my Facebook feed this a.m. Beautiful models. but where the hell do they exist? Where can a regular Johnny who just wants a lot of variety get them without being befuddled by 0.003 mm this or ultra violet that.
It's madness out there. Madness I tell you.
Thank heaven that I have a few Claymores to go at.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Finding my way around 3D print ranges
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 02:24:51 PM »
V&V is not a 3D-print company. They sell traditional resin figures. Medbury is one of few companies that offer both physical figures and print files. Most 3D companies sell only their files, including licenses for commercial printing (so someone else can sell prints of their design). That means you are looking for two different things: what files have they made available, and someone who sells prints.

I tend to buy 3D prints from Etsy, which is a market platform, which hosts many sellers. Important to check reviews to make sure the vendor is reliable. Quality and pricing can vary tons, so research different vendors. I have bought and been quite pleased with Ebora Miniatures out of Spain as well as HammerLine minis out of the UK. Both have Medbury figures, but may not have their entire range.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 02:50:13 PM »
In the UK, Medbury is often available. I find Hammerline has the best price and good service.. Something like 4 Vendel Warriors costs around £2.50 per miniature inc postage. A few packs are offered at less than £2/mini while some "personalities" are £3-5/mini. Caballero is also available though I find it's less common than a year or two back. Only-Games offers physical prints of Wargames Atlantic STLs but prices are quite variable. Nothing is much cheaper than £2.50-3.00/mini and postage is only free above £60. Plus Only-Games has a rather variable reputation in terms of customer service.

Relative to plastic (say Victrix), it's not really competitive in terms of quality or price. Nonetheless, I buy some resin prints really just to provide additional variation. Also the likes of Wargames Atlantic don't seem to really care any more for my periods of interest in terms of their plastic offerings. So resin prints are the only way to access their products.

It is hard to find what is available. You have to trawl around Etsy, Ebay etc and pricing variations for the same product can be 200-300%.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 02:52:07 PM by WorkShy »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 06:00:08 PM »
Take deeply to heart the advice about reviews of service.  Some are great, some - well, great is the last possible descriptor unless adding some other less positive term.

There is a great need for some sort of regularization of the Extremely Wild West of the 3D printing world. 

As a 15 mm gamer, I am appalled at what some 3D printers are willing to charge to convert from 28 mm to 15 mm.  I know it can be done and I know it can be done a LOT cheaper than some do it.  Sure, not everything reduces well - but the cost issue remains.  And this is after taking into consideration the design cost.  Some people are happy to rip people for whatever they can - with no regard to the reality that means for repeat business, like zero repeats - fast track to being out of business.

Of course, there are also highly reputable merchants and fairly priced product out there.  That is where my repeat business goes.  It is just seventy very angry Kodiak grizzly bears you have to get through to find them.  Which, for me, makes 3D printed product a very, very last resort.  But great when you can find what you want from a reputable merchant with fair pricing - and there is no other option.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 06:01:58 PM by FifteensAway »