Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690962
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question of preference for free PDF-only versus hardcopy with printing + P&P  (Read 1229 times)

Offline JW Boots

• Assistant
A few weeks ago I published something as pdf-only. And for free. Also via the Wargame Vault.

However…

The Wargame Vault, I learned, also offers a print-on-demand service. A simple PDF, so to speak, is not suitable. But it can be adapted. That is a bit of a job, but doable.

So I have a question.

For rules, supplements, etc. do you prefer a PDF, for free, or a hardcopy that will cost at least the printing costs plus post and packaging?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Hard copy every time.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Hard Copy or VERY low (max 12) page count pdf.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ran The Cid

• Bookworm
I find that PDF files collect on my Google drive, but never get read.  Hard copy at least has a chance of being read.

The reason for this is two part - I don't have a good system in place for reading PDF files:  phone is too small, and I don't feel like sitting at my PC to read a rule set.  Second part is usability - how do I try to play a game with a PDF?  To play, I'd need to lug around a laptop or something similar.  Maybe I just need a cheap tablet dedicated to rules.

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
PDF.

Saves storage space, specific rules are easier to find with the search option, I can zoom in (my eyes are not what they used to be).

T

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
I'm going to be awkward and say both. I like a free pdf so I can take a look at the rules and see if its my thing or not. If it passes the first flick through then I print it off for a better look and finally if I think its something I'd use or would like to go back to then I'll grab a hard copy.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
I prefer a hard-copy of a rulebook but happy with PdFs of army lists or scenario books as I normally read these on my PC, or I only need to print out a few pages at a time to help with a particular game.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Hard copy preferably.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Tarnegol

• Librarian
    • My Biblical Wargaming blog.
I'm a weirdo who likes (and is usually happy to pay for) both, but if you force me to choose either/or - hardcopy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 05:50:31 PM by Tarnegol »
"One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off."

Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
PDF.  Easy enough, for me, to print.  And a printed PDF is a hard copy.  If I like them enough to use them, then they go inside plastic sleeves inside of a binder.  Good to go.  If I don't like them, minimum to zero cost - except for the paper and the toner (ink jet printer).  And time.  Though, generally, I do review on computer before printing to determine if they merit the resources.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Well, from publishing companies I prefer Hard Copy.

For indies, I prefer PDF. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
PDF, with a low-res low ink use, no fluff illustrations, version for printing out.  Better yet, a .doc so i can edit the thing when i get to houseruling…there is almost always a house rule or clarification yo put in…
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
PDF - especially if it’s free!

I can always print the bits I want (either at home or using a service if its big)

I much prefer PDFs for reference during a game. Hard copy can be good for learning the game.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Hard copy over PDF anytime, but if both are available then yes please thank you  :D
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
So I have a question.

For rules, supplements, etc. do you prefer a PDF, for free, or a hardcopy that will cost at least the printing costs plus post and packaging?

For rules, I prefer hardcopy, so I can set it on the table, pick it up, pass it around, highlight or underline key items, etc.  Supplements - should be hardcopy if I will actually need to refer to it during play.  Other items can be PDF, so I can print as much of them as is needed for a particular event (game, campaign, or whathaveyou).

HOWEVER given my predilection for living far away from wherever the people who write the rules live, I definitely appreciate the instant gratification of purchasing a PDF and getting it in my inbox at the speed of electrons, rather than having to wait weeks for the product to be packaged and shipped to my location.  And then if I favour a particular portion of the rules/supplement/game aids/whatever, I can then print it and if required bind it for use.  The TFL model works well for me, as I can get the instant gratification of the PDF and, when appropriate, order those books and bits that I decide I need in hard copy.