Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 02:58:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1698503
  • Total Topics: 118910
  • Online Today: 598
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Acolyte [Spoilers on the North Ridge!]  (Read 6758 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte [Spoilers on the North Ridge!]
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2024, 09:59:19 PM »
I like Pip, the modular droid multi-tool. I think that's a really clever design and a practical bit of kit for an itinerant "meknek".
« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 10:01:09 PM by JollyBob »

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2024, 09:45:51 AM »
I enjoyed the two eppisodes so far.

I am wrapping my head around the timelines in terms of knowing what to call this. Rogue one is a prequel, but between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy so its a sort of pre-.5-quel. Same with Obi Wan I guess. This series is a prequel of the prequel trilogy...

Anyway, if this show was, say, on TV back in the 90's or early 2000's I think folks would be a tad more accomodating of less than movie levels of acting.

Mando gave various relatively young and less experienced directors a go.

For me it's about being able to enjoy it. I like the plot so far. It doesn't need to be movie level heavy for me. I just need to see the universe and tangible stories being played out within that setting.

The tech; love the pip-droid, I also love the nod at going fully automated by droid can be dangerous/risky.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2024, 10:13:19 AM »
I've seen the two available episodes this weekend, and I must say that I absolutely found myself entertained. Not everything needs to be Oscar/Emmy winning stuff to be enjoyable.

The meditating monk and his deeply seated feelings of guilt was pretty fascinating, and made me curious about what actually transpired to warrant such an overwhelming need for absolution in the first place.

With this storyline taking place about 100 years before the rise of the Empire, I could see Darth Plagueis (the Wise) making an appearance, making this a possible sort of origin story for Palpatine or his master.

After all, at the start of the Empire era, Palpatine was already well into his sixties, so Plagueis was certainly alive during the era of this series...

I'm actually looking forward to the next episode :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2024, 07:24:49 AM »
I enjoyed it, but where's Yoda? Surely he'd be knocking around the Jedi Temple somewhere...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2024, 09:45:35 AM »
I enjoyed it, but where's Yoda? Surely he'd be knocking around the Jedi Temple somewhere...

I'm sure it's a Deadpool situation; not enough funds to show off the big names, so all you see in the big house are some B-listers (and always the same ones too  ;D ). I'm certain that when if the show takes off, there will be a cameo or two...  :D

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2024, 01:21:54 PM »
it's an odd watch. The Jedi as portrayed are not interesting to watch, as pointed out, they are a bit monotone and dull. It feels more like a fan film. too much martial arts rather than anything Jedi like, although they need to get that guy who redid the Death Star Vader ObiWan duel and visit all of the original trilogy for an update - the original fights are so static.

Sending the ship to the arrest/ambush seemed a bit overkill and I thought the stun gun was repainted Nerf at first.

EDIT: oh and I expect we'll get a flashback episode to show what they supposedly did, so we'll hopefully get more Carrie Anne Moss.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2024, 02:15:04 AM »
I enjoyed the two eppisodes so far.

I am wrapping my head around the timelines in terms of knowing what to call this. Rogue one is a prequel, but between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy so its a sort of pre-.5-quel. Same with Obi Wan I guess. This series is a prequel of the prequel trilogy...

Anyway, if this show was, say, on TV back in the 90's or early 2000's I think folks would be a tad more accomodating of less than movie levels of acting.

Mando gave various relatively young and less experienced directors a go.

For me it's about being able to enjoy it. I like the plot so far. It doesn't need to be movie level heavy for me. I just need to see the universe and tangible stories being played out within that setting.

The tech; love the pip-droid, I also love the nod at going fully automated by droid can be dangerous/risky.

No need to overthink it. This series is set around 100 years before the prequels.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2024, 10:50:13 AM »
Oh dear.

I really wanted to like it but, gods,  it's poor.

SW, recently imo, has been at is best when the 'magic' is minimal (Rogue 1 and Andor) and at its worst when to the fore.

Plus it is a veritable petrified forest of woodeness. Especially the youngsters.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2024, 12:51:02 PM »
Yes, not overly keen on this episode although I did like the temple design.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2024, 01:08:27 PM »
...it is a veritable petrified forest of woodeness. Especially the youngsters.

I kind of agree, but there's still a not-zero percent chance that this was intentional.

After all, there's been talk many times of the Jedi temple having lost its way, turning inwards, becoming conservative and stagnant. And this ultimately lead to the Jedi temple's downfall.

At least; that's how I prefer to look at it for now ;)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2024, 01:33:35 PM »
'The power of one, the power of two, the power of maneeeeeee.'

Oh dear oh dear, shoot me now.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2024, 08:53:49 PM »
Just watched the third episode and overall I quite liked it. It was good to see some non Jedi / Sith Force users though the term Witch did make me think of Night Sisters. Plus the power of many thing was obviously rubbish as they all died...it felt a bit hippy-dippy and gave nothing to the episode.

What might have been interesting, I think, is to have started with this setting in the first episode establishing a settlement of 'other' force users who sound reasonable and make them endearing...then reveal that members of a child-snatching cult are abroad, hide the children etc...then they are revealed to be Jedi at the end of the episode.

As it is I assume the Jedi killed the Witches and Mae's master is taking advantage of her pain etc.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2024, 10:20:09 PM »
I assume the Jedi killed the Witches and Mae's master is taking advantage of her pain etc.

Actually I can now reveal that the witches died of embarrassment, at that godawful song...

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2024, 09:11:10 AM »
Even Orks can count 50% higher than that ::)

Not sure what happened, and I struggled to care. Not sure how a large bunch of force users died, but I doubt it was the Jedi(*). I suspect "the master" type figure will be revealed to be the culprit, at which point the twins will reconcile and defeat him.

(*) although that would sort-of explain why the hovering Jedi was consumed by shame

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2024, 11:01:08 AM »
there was a song? everyone is mentioning a song, did I blank out a song?

that Finnish chap, as lovely as I'm sure he is, just isn't tall enough for Wookies.