Forum > Age of the Big Battalions

A 28mm AWI Project

(1/2) > >>

shann1870:
My British are badly outnumbered at the moment, so I thought I had better recruit a few more! Really enjoy painting these Perry sculpts. More on my blog at:  https://steve-nationsinarms.blogspot.com/2024/03/more-british-awi.html

Anyone out there tried Live Free or Die? If so, what do you think?

armchairgeneral:
Awesome painting  :-*

SJWi:
I haven't tried "Live Free and Die" but have played the original 4-page rules "Loose Files and American Scramble" on which they are based. Originally published in Wargames Illustrated back in the 1980's you can still track down. I located them by Google and then via "Fandom" which has a link to Simon McDowell who has them under his "rules section". They are quite different to any other AWI rules, and maybe trying out the earlier, free version could give you a taster before investing some serious cash in the rulebook.   

shann1870:
Many thanks. Yes, they are a heavily tweaked adaptation to Loose Files, which were, as you say quite different to any other AWI rules. I think they also inspired Dave Brown's British Grenadier.

Wellington Bonaparte:
I've played two games using the live free or die rules, thankfully my opponent was much more attuned to them. I liked them, once we got going it was an entertaining game. Using your command dice well is the key to success, sadly I obviously didn't use them well as my 'lobsters' got trounced both games. Certainly found it a better set of rules for AWI than black powder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version