Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Reducing to basics for French and Indian War - guidance?  (Read 757 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Reducing to basics for French and Indian War - guidance?
« on: March 26, 2024, 04:30:31 PM »
Helping sell off a massive estate of miniatures collection has thoroughly invigorated my resolve to bring my own collection into a more manageable size, not by reducing periods but by reducing total numbers of figures within a period.  This will be occurring on multiple fronts.  I have my AWI ready to the point I can run small games and will be building up, especially in the run up to the 250th anniversaries which begin next year - that will be my Battle Scale 18th century collection.

So, for my French and Indian War collection, returning more to a skirmish collection, I'd like to hear from those with a good background in the period what would be the ideal mix of figures to maintain.  Also, I am thinking to take this back to individually based figures rather than the three-per-base they are now. 

For rules, I will primarily be using Fistful of Lead:Bigger Battles but sometimes just the basic FFOL rules.  That is settled.   

Would 12 figure units be a good size - or maybe just 8 figures? 

And what would be the essential units to have in a collection?  Not talking reducing to minimums, just reducing to a versatile collection that just isn't overly large as it is now.

Merits of returning to single basing?  I have my own thoughts on the matter but would like to hear other's justifications for doing so.

I have a plentitude of painted Indians and villagers and some specialty items, like ladder carriers, lacrosse players, and torch bearers.  And lots of Europeans for both sides and including armed villagers - and some figures as 'characters'.  All in 15/18 mm, that is not going to change. 

Appreciate your considered responses.

Thank you!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 10:37:54 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Reducing to basics for French and Indian War - guidance?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 08:19:44 PM »
I would say you need:

• Native Americans, some with bows but most with muskets
• Frontiersmen or irregular settler types
• Rangers
• French irregular types like their famous and often misspelled coureur des bois
• British regular troops
• French regular troops
• Some civilians

And that should do it for small games of this period, I would say...

Mike Demana

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 08:54:46 PM »
I'd add in some French "Compagnie de la Marine" and British "Provincial" troops who wear Blue or Green uniforms and are thus different to British regulars . I now base most of my figures 15mm and over individually .This means I can use them with various rulesets and buying sabots to enable multi-basing isn't a big expense compared to the cost of the figures.   

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 11:21:41 PM »
For my collection I have 10- 20 odd figures of each

coureur de bois
French civilians
French marines
French Allied Indians Huron-Wendat

English
Rhode Island
Delaware
Virginia
Rangers
60th foot
english allied Indians

Civilians that work for both sides
Last of Mohicans set
Mule train
Wagons
Canoes
Western Buildings
Native Longhouses
Wigwams

Cheers
Matt

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:30:36 PM by bluewillow »

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 10:08:06 AM »
I use Musket & Tomahawks. That has figure sizes of 6 (for skirmisher) to 12 (for regulars). Maybe 6 units a side.
I have grenadiers, regulars, rangers, compagnies franches, militia, coureurs des bois and indians

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 04:38:20 PM »
Thanks for all the input - it has helped with the thought process and the motivivation.

Did some significant sorting yesterday and find I can pull 12 figures from each of 13 units and already have 12 figures for another 6 units.  That still leaves the 13 full units in a good state to be marketable with command and 24 troops per unit.  Can easily pull 12 units of 12 Indians from that portion of the collection - and still leave plenty for a buyer of the balance.  Will keep some of the command for my use - but still leaves additional command for each unit.    Plus canoes and civilians.  This stuff all being painted.

And I can paint 12 at a time for 5 more units to 'fill in some gaps', plus some casualty figures to have 36 groups of 12 that breaks nicely into British (with Indians) and French (with Indians)[will hold at 2 casualty figures per 12].  Paint about another 100 figures - pretty easy-peasy for me, generally, and I'd be happy.

Might, might not, paint the remaining units - but probably not, just include them in any sale - or keep a few in reserve in case of breakage or loss in the future.  Probably paint the two cavalry units, only six figures each, one Canadian (only one I know of) and one provincial.

Then it is a debate about the pioneers and whether to paint them and the additional civilians.  Same story for the not yet painted wagons, carts, coaches, limbers, and associated horses or oxen.  All of it is already primed and ready to paint.  Coaches actually not a debate, those will get painted - Hallmark and can use with Three Musketeers.

The artillery and artillerymen aren't going anywhere, can use for my AWI.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 11:57:34 PM »
Units of 12 are also good for Rebels and Patriots, another good set for FIW if you fancy a change from Muskets and Tomahawks.
Good to keep lots of Woodland Indians in hand, they can do duty for AWI and War of 1812 too
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 01:38:03 AM »
Here is the sorted list, the asterisk marked units still need painting.

For the British:

Regulars - yellow facings
Regulars* - (? facings)
60th* - blue facings
Grenadiers #

Blue Coated Provincials
Green Coated Provincials
Brown Coated Provincials
Militia

Lights #
Independent Company #
Roger's Rangers
Goreham's Rangers*

Highlanders
Indians
Indians

Highland Grenadiers
Indians
Indians

For the French

Regulars (red facings)
Regulars* (? blue facings)
Grenadier #
"Independent" Company #

Troupe de la Marine - summer uniform
Troupe de la Marine - winter uniform
Chasseurs a Pied #

Coureur des Bois
Coureur des Bois*
Indians
Indians

Indians
Indians
Indians

Indians
Indians
Indians

Open to thoughts on how to better 'brigade' the units.  The reason I didn't use the rangers with the Indians for the British is they were often composed of Indian fighters - but feel free to try and convince me otherwise.  I know later in the war that changed some but I'm not sure enough to warrant a difference.

For all of the full units already painted there are already 4 casualty figures and I will keep 2.  For the other painted units of 12 only, there is only 1 painted casualty so I will need to paint one more and match as best I can.  The pound symbol marked units (#) are the ones with only the 12 panted. 

(# = pound sign decades, perhaps centuries, before being called 'hashtag' as far as I know, same for its reference as 'number' sign, hashtag is Johnny-Come-Lately.  And, yes, a bit of a pet peeve of mind.  ;)).

I will add command from the already painted figures as much as possible, might actually result in 15 figure units (which can break nicely into three 5 figure groups) which means doing similar for the five needing painting.  Also add in more than the 5 already painted guns as well as quite a few more artillery crew figures.  Probably do some of the pioneers (already have an engineer with cart and horse for each side - and a mantlet - painted).

Expect I'll keep all the painted villagers for the Indians, quite a few, and the special figures like ladder carriers/climbers, torch bearers, battering ram; casualty figures included.  Equally considerable, relatively, number of civilians - a few armed - already painted which makes me wonder about the balance - but the balance is all Bluemoon so more characterful and unique, to a degree; definitely paint the man with his plow horse; and add casualties.

As to the terrain - that is all multi-use for varied periods and locales so I expect I will keep all of that - or at least the vast majority.

Feel free to make suggestions about the regular units that should be best represented.

36 units x 15 figures = 540.  Yes, that is a lot, but about a third of what this discussion started with.  And the collection should be more than enough for all sorts of scenarios.  Add to the total higher command and artillery and crews and pioneers and civilians (which are versatile and can be used in other settings like pirates and AWI).  So, probably closer to 750 figures when all is said and done.

For instance, I have very small (painted) and larger (primed only) stockade forts and also a (painted) star fort.  And can borrow in ships and boats from my pirate setup (also up for reduction - see other thread) for amphibious actions.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:42:05 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 04:37:15 PM »
Morning dawns, the 'ole thinkerator was in significant motion overnight, hemming and hawing and considerating, adding in I'm not, at all, a fan of 'buckets of dice' rolling, and I've come to the conclusion I won't rebase most of the figures.  What I will do is make all the 'units' five stands and treat each stand as an 'individual' within the rules so only ever, normally, need to roll five dice for a 'unit'. 

Now, that's not all.  I will still rebase, or newly base, some figures on round bases rather than the rectangular or square bases already in place.  Those will be commanders and heroes/villains and, probably, some more standard troops painted up from the currently unpainted stuff.  Attaching a commander or hero to a 'unit' might add an extra die or two to a roll; I can live with that (and use different colored dice for the commander/heroes)

And painting up some more standard troops will give me a few more units to include for each side without needing to paint a lot more figures, I like that added variety.

Using the heroes, etc., and the 'new' standard troops will give Bigger Battle games their Characterful element - and can also allow more small scale skirmish actions just using the round based figures.  Does mean I will paint up those additional civilians for single basing, at least some of them.  It also means larger battles will play faster with retaining the multiple basing for a majority of the figures.

There is a real upside for me to this decision, besides minimizing rebasing.  Previously using Rank and File for FIW created a skirmishing problem.  That goes away with Bigger Battles and my existing basing system should work well.  The rectangularly based figures can form close order and the square based figures cannot, simple.  The square bases are the rangers, coureur du bois, and Indians.  With the back and forth of the card draws in Bigger Battles that should give the games more of an 'edge of your seat' element - which I think FIW games should have.

I think, even though it might be a bit 'over the top', I will keep the flag and musical stand as the fifth stand for the units.  Best reason is just because I like the look of it (and they are rectangular so can add in to a close order formation).  Of course, some units don't have flags and those units have command on square bases.  Works for me.

And, last, for now, I've pretty much decided to lean very heavily into Bigger Battles rather than the core rules.  Might not completely abandon the core rules but they will be a lot less frequent than BB games.  Just let the Commaner/Hero element add that extra 'spice' to games.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 04:41:31 PM by FifteensAway »