Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Stagecoach!  (Read 677 times)

Online Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Stagecoach!
« on: April 03, 2024, 08:05:37 AM »
We all love it when the Indians come whooping down, and the Stagecoach makes a run for it.
I'm looking for a few ideas on how to game the Stage trying to get from one end of the table t'other, with the Redskins in hot pursuit!
Any ideas would be most appreciated.
???
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 08:07:37 AM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Stagecoach!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 11:13:38 AM »
Quite a few years ago someone (I can't remember who) did a participation game based on that very thing.
1) They painted everything shades of grey (the film was in Black & White)
2) The wheels on the stage coach went backwards, as they seemed to in the film (Motor hidden inside the Timpo stage)
3) They recorded various lengths of 'silence' followed by a bugle call onto cassettes. As the cassette was chosen at random, no-one knew the length of the game.

I hope that helps Harry.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 11:27:47 AM »
Some other ideas:-
1) Like AK47 ,throw a dice at the end of each move. Take that off the 'clock' total.
    So if the  'clock' is at 12, & we have just ended a move, the game could end after the next move (if sixes are thrown) or 12 moves if ones only are thrown, or
    anything in-between.
2) Like FFofL, leave the jokers in the pack. When the first joker is drawn, the bugle call is heard. The second joker has the Cavalry arrive on the table.

I'm sure there are more ideas out there. :D

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 12:53:13 PM »
How many horses will be pulling the stagecoach?  Horses get tired, they stumble, and they get shot, a roll of the dice could make them speed up or slow down.  Plus there's always that canyon ahead and you don't want to drive your team over the cliff.

Sounds like it's going to be an exciting game!!!
The crow flies at midnight

Online Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 04:00:05 PM »
Thanks chaps, much appreciated. I'm suspicioned it'd be better to steer clear of deliberately blasting the horses. Two reasons, a Warrior got prestige and power from the ammonts of pony's he owned. Second, the game would be over pretty quick! Then again, there's always the chance of a stray shot nobbling one.
 :o

Offline Capt Troy Tempest

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 04:39:26 PM »
Depending on rules your are using. In most films native Americans can catch and ride past the stagecoach, so I would suggest it moves slightly slower that riders on horseback.

If you can find a copy of “B troop ain’t coming back” rules, it contained stagecoach rules.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 05:04:42 PM »
We did rather the same thing with a train chase in the Wild West. As the train was composed of engine, tender and several carriages, it reached a length of 1 metre and was impossible to move on the table. Therefore we went static with both train and riders. Both had their speed (which could of course increase or decrease): Riders could catch up, if their speed was greater (difference in inches moved towards the train) or the train could run away, if its speed was greater (riders moved away the difference in inches). Riders, who changed direction more than 45° from the train's direction lost 50% of their speed and if they turned 90° or more they were off (table and game alike). Went perfectly well to the satisfaction of all participants.

You could still give the stage coach a speed malus in favourite of the riders. In case of the train chase we had the train strting at a certain speed, constantly accelerating every round, so the riders had to jump it before its speed was greater than that of the horses and the train player was considered to be the winner. Even then it was still possible to jump aboard, if the riders had already passed some length of the train. Skill check was modified, if speed was not equal.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 05:55:41 PM »
That's torn it!!! While looking about for rules to sort this out in a fun format and thought "Harry, what inspiration, what a grand idea for a game" Then I spotted the Empress Stagecoach full set. . . .  . Soon be payday I suppose to alleviate the unexpected spend lol. Anyway, the best I can come up with is from Dead Mans Hand Redux, I spotted there are very Hollywood rules for Stagecoach, Wagons etc on the sample pages. Until I get a copy on release I'm not sure how useful this will be but we can live in hope!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 11:45:10 PM »
First question to answer is why are the Indians chasing a stagecoach?  For horses/mules is of course likely.  But maybe they've heard there are guns/ammo on board.  Or a personage of some importance to them on board. 

As to getting the stage along the table - assuming you want to use the length rather than the breadth of the table - keep in mind that the coach will need to slow for hills and significant turns or risk a catastrophic spill.  And just going at a full gallop risks a spill - they weren't meant for speed but mileage.  And horses pulling a loaded coach are going to fatigue pretty quickly, especially if it is the very heavy Hollywood darling Concord coach.  A mud wagon could make better way to a degree.

Also need to take into account a shotgun rider and any armed passengers - and maybe an armed stow away in the boot (happened).

Shooting horses - that is very "un-Hollywood" so horses are immune from getting shot, stagecoach or the raiders.  But raider horses are Very Likely to stumble and throw their riders.  Riding a horse at speed can be pretty freakin' dangerous.

Now, if you have some ne'er-do-wells after the coach, that might be more likely.  And they don't really need a reason, they just tend to "believe" it might be worth it to rob the stage.  Them lot not shining the brightest lightbulbs up stairs if you know what I mean.

After action report expected sooner than later.  >:D