Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:35:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Combat optionsvery small skirmish - rules?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Combat optionsvery small skirmish - rules?
« on: March 29, 2024, 10:29:37 PM »
I am still struggling with borrowing/modifying rules for a small skirmish 15th Century game (solo/co-op).  I still like Sellsword and Spell Slingers as the base for the rules.  Savage Worlds has some great ideas too.

Like Sellswords, I would want 3 or 4 characters up against a few enemy, possibly no more than 10 or so.

Are there any rules that would allow for the following:

Character vs Enemy (a young fop, poorly trained but in daddy’s best armour). 
Character is in lighter armour, enemy in plate.
Character has better fighting value and longsword (not so useful vs plate).
Uses an attack to wrestle enemy to ground (there are plenty of longsword techniques that allow for this), then tries to pin enemy while using a rondel dagger (drops longsword and draws rondel) to stab through the visor.
This might have to be over a couple of turns of activation.
I imagine the character might then be exposed to other attacks while straddling his enemy.

Also, any rules for gaining advantage by kicking over a table, throwing salt in eyes etc?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 07:30:28 PM by Ethelred the Almost Ready »

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
Re: Combat options in 1 on 1 combat - rules?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 07:06:42 PM »
With that level of detail, have you considered going to RPG systems instead? The new editions of GURPS Martial Arts have sections on HEMA which might suit what you are looking for.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 07:31:42 PM »
Yeah, I'd look at GURPS (maybe Man to Man, which is essentially just the game's combat system - I don't know anything beyond that so would defer to gregmita!) or Mythras.

Mythras also has a free introductory version and three inexpensive combat modules (essentially, skirmish scenarios) that allow you to play out fights to get the hang of the rules.

Originally RuneQuest 6, Mythras is setting-agnostic. It updates the RuneQuest combat mechanisms by allowing more choice instead of randomness. So, if you score a hit of a certain quality, you can choose the 'special effect' you deliver (knockdown, shield break, etc. - there are lots), each of which opens up other tactical possibilities. If it works for you, the Classic Fantasy expansion has explicit rules for miniatures, though from memory, these are more about using D&D-style grids than anything else.

• Mastermind
Re: Combat optionsvery small skirmish - rules?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 07:34:12 PM »
Thanks Gregmita.

I have edited my first post as I realise it was misleading.  I really mean one figurevs 1 figure in combat but not only one figure a side.
I have looked at role playing games but often the detail in these make a solo game too much trouble with book keeping.  Taking aspects of these and modifying them to a small skirmish game, however, can be useful.

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 07:35:10 PM »
Thanks Hobgoblin, I thought you might be lurking.
I suppose this sort of dovetails onto your thread about fighting withdrawals.

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 07:48:15 PM »
How about En Garde from osprey?
FFF

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 08:06:50 PM »
Do you know Steve Jackson's Melee? It's the ancestor of GURPS and is a sort of gladiatorial skirmish game. It's also free.

It's a great game - not especially realistic, but finely balanced. And it covers quite a bit of what you want, including grappling with or without daggers.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2024, 01:41:04 PM »
There is a Medieval/Fantasy version of FFoL which can be played as straight Medieval,  called Might and Melee which may be just what you are looking for.

[edit] Here is a link to a bit of a review:

https://jonmollison.com/2022/01/27/a-few-initial-thoughts-on-a-fistful-of-lead/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 01:54:53 PM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 02:55:46 PM »
If it's a granular one to one super close up miniature system you're after, perhaps try the dolorous stroke? It's arthurian romantic in its trappings but the core system is meant for really really small warbands of 1 - 3 miniatures.

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/249660/The-Dolorous-Stroke

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 11:21:01 PM »
Might want to give these a look.

https://www.bucksurdu.com/feudalpatrol/

Mechanics based on those in his innovative, easy to learn, good game providing WW II "Combat Patrol"

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 03:06:16 AM »
Heh, that's a blast from the past. :)
Man to Man is a really old set of rules that SJG seems to have scanned and brought back to life. I think I've seen Chainmail also getting sold somewhere after getting a similar treatment.
As for Ethelred's original request, yeah, if what you want is a skirmish set of rules for solo play, without too much "crunchiness", these older rules are rather outdated. The newer rules suggested by others here actually all sound interesting. Now I want to try some of them.

Yeah, I'd look at GURPS (maybe Man to Man, which is essentially just the game's combat system - I don't know anything beyond that so would defer to gregmita!) or Mythras.

Mythras also has a free introductory version and three inexpensive combat modules (essentially, skirmish scenarios) that allow you to play out fights to get the hang of the rules.

Originally RuneQuest 6, Mythras is setting-agnostic. It updates the RuneQuest combat mechanisms by allowing more choice instead of randomness. So, if you score a hit of a certain quality, you can choose the 'special effect' you deliver (knockdown, shield break, etc. - there are lots), each of which opens up other tactical possibilities. If it works for you, the Classic Fantasy expansion has explicit rules for miniatures, though from memory, these are more about using D&D-style grids than anything else.

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 07:46:39 PM »
I warmly vote for En Garde which covers exactly your project. The fighting rules are first class. You consider a time when the fencing technics where evolving greatly from early bashing. There where already schools of fencing, certainly in Germany and probably elsewhere too, with sword and buckler, which is why you see so many of theses associated with archers in full plate. By the way these armours where not so heavy and you could be quite swift with them. This is testified by professional reenactors here in France ( Acta group ).There were also techics with the stick ( from long time monk experience during pilgrimages), two handed swords and two handed axes. All of this can be experienced with some details in En Garde.

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 07:42:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
I am working through a lot of the suggestions that have been made.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2024, 08:49:32 AM »
Fistful of Lead, Might and Melee offers what you are looking for. Individually armed and equipped figures with various traits. So you can have your plate armoured fighter take on a lightly armoured opponent. The option is there for other figures to join in the melee at any point, so if your fighter has one opponent on the ground, another can join in the fun. all medieval weapons are covered from daggers to two handed swords, war hammers etc.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:04:48 AM »
The ancient Chivalry and Sorcery rules will permit this.