Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:13:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ideal size for Fistful of Lead: Big Battles units?  (Read 535 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Ideal size for Fistful of Lead: Big Battles units?
« on: April 09, 2024, 01:34:50 AM »
I'm sure many would say "it depends" and, of course, there is truth to that.  But I'd like to know what people using the rules feel is the ideal sized unit for Fistful of Lead: Big Battles is.  Okay if it is a range like 5-8, 6-10.

My particular question revolves around a medieval game I'm adjusting for.  But I'm okay with more generic answers across the time spectrum since I use the rules for many time periods.  And I realize more modern periods lean towards smaller groupings.  Still, interested to see your answers.

Thanks!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ideal size for Fistful of Lead: Big Battles units?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 01:41:49 PM »
Coming from enjoying the Lion Rampant stable of games I always prefer units of 12 or 6 or 18. That is just my personal preference though, The Bigger Battle rules are very flexible in this regard  I don't know if there is an "ideal" so long as the size of units doesn't begin to slow or break the game.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 02:17:41 PM »
No ideal size at all.  I have used units as small as three  (SMG equipped infantry) and as many as 18 (Pilae throwing Romans) on the same battlefield. 
The only real limit is number of units—not figs and that can be expanded beyond 50 by using an expanded double deck, one marked to indicate priority when two cards of the same value are drawn. Obviously really big ( and lots of) units can add some time to playing out the game.  it comes down to taste.
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 08:29:09 PM »
As you once pointed out, we play a lot of FFoL, both the core rules and the Bigger Battle rules.

And it does depend.... ;)

Our self-imposed rule of thumb is to have a limit of about 10 (or so) combat die per unit.  For horse-and-musket area stuff, that means infantry units with 10 (or so) figures.  We call them companies.  For modern-era (i.s., WW2, Vietnam, modern, etc), that means fire teams of 4-6 men. 

Of course, there are exceptions. We've played Anglo-Zulu War games with the British having 5-12 men per unit, with 12-18 men per unit for the Zulus.  That mix gave the British some incentive to whittle away at the Zulus at range with their firepower, while it gave the Zulus incentive too quickly close with the British and get into melee...

We've not played medieval games.  Yet.  So while you get what you paid for with this suggestion, since your units will be armed similarly, I'd go with 10 (or so) men per unit.  It's enough to look the part while they are in close order (in a shield wall, for example), without devolving into a dice-rolling contest (too much, anyway  :D).

With any luck, that suggestion is helpful... :)

"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 11:58:43 PM »
Some helpful answers and some, well, answers. 

Maybe it will help to know that I am trying to "reverse engineer" my Robin Hood set up to being smaller than it is.  Right now, I have one Hero and his/her two sidekicks and then a "unit" of 12 figures under the Heroes command.  So that adds up to 15 figures.  But I'd like to get to smaller "units", especially since I have 14 Heroes/Villains with that set up.  Then there is the king and the prince and their hangers on, etc.  And civilians.

And, though I really like FFOL:BB, I really don't like "fistfuls of dice".  I was keeping the dice numbers down by planning on three figures to a base but now I am leaning towards single based figures and thus I'm really looking to motivate myself downwards to reduce dice - and to reduce the painting load. 

And this isn't limited to Robin Hood, I'm in this process across almost all of my various periods/collections.  Just the period at the top of the list at this time is Robin Hood.

Of course I know I can "just do it" but input from others helps though, clearly, the biggest motivation is the Gigantic collection I'm helping sell as part of an estate sale - numbers beyond all possible reason as far as I am concerned.  I don't want my wife facing that insanity if I kick off before her (not imminent - I hope!) - and not as bad as the estate but lots of stuff in my own collection, reduction is sanity inducing.

And just a thought for reference later - maybe burden each Hero/Villain with at least a half dozen unarmed civilians.  And still keep other civilians for the Game Master to be responsible for. 

So, further input given this added information?

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 01:17:12 AM »
Pick a number, only you can decide what tastes best to you.  Three fig units will work, 6 fig units too.  It’s not written in stone, you can change your mind.  Play and see.