Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Etruscan mercenaries?  (Read 851 times)

Offline summsi

• Librarian
Etruscan mercenaries?
« on: April 13, 2024, 07:50:06 PM »
I want to give my new victrix plastic hoplites roman/italian/etruscan heads, so I can use them as etruscans.
Can I use them in etruria only, or were there etruscan mercenaries in greek or carthaginian service?

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
Re: Etruscan mercenaries?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 08:07:04 PM »
There’s no reason why there wouldn’t be Etruscan mercenaries serving in Greece, so I don’t see why anyone would complain in a general game. If you were to be recreating a specific battle though I’m not so sure.

Offline Ran The Cid

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 09:34:44 PM »
The Hail Caesar army book lists Etruscan Mercenaries as an option for the Syracuse list.  I don't have a source to substanciat this option.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 09:56:09 PM »
The Etruscans in the Syracuse list may be in there due to Thucydides mentioning Etruscans fighting in support of Athens during the siege of Syracuse (Thucydides 7.53 and 7.57). It’s not clear whether they were mercenaries, or were fighting as allies against a common enemy. I don’t think you can rule out Etruscans serving abroad as mercenaries, but they don’t seem to be mentioned often in that context (compared to Cretan archers or similar where there’s a well established reputation for mercenary service). I have my doubts about whether Etruscans mercenaries would have been in large enough numbers to constitute units of their own. More likely would be individuals or small groups serving in mercenary phalanxes alongside expatriates from other places. That said, the historical record is patchy at best and mercenary units of Etruscans could have existed.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 10:17:51 PM »
Since they were pirates I find it hard to believe that they were not also Mercs.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 11:03:45 PM »
The lines between pirates and mercenaries definitely blurred at the edges in the ancient Mediterranean!

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2024, 07:45:37 AM »
I had the same thought as I also bought the new Victrix hoplites to do as Etruscans. My idea was to either assemble them all as Etruscans with pila/spears to make a complete division of Etruscans or else assembled them only with spears and can include them as regular hoplites in armies that have hoplites as option thus being "Italian" hoplites.

Etruscans from Spina had close contacts with Greece and those from the Etruscan southern cities contact with Magna Grecia cities. Mercenaries were always on demand so it's fair to assume a number of Etruscans fought in conflicts away from their land of origin.