Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2024, 11:44:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Small needle files for metal figs?  (Read 2052 times)

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Small needle files for metal figs?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2024, 01:21:48 PM »
I don't know what wire brushes you folks have used but the ones I've had (brass bristles, IIRC) never seemed to clean a damn thing. The grooves on the files I have are just too fine.
I have one like this.  Steel bristles.   

Just throw the file handle into a vice and scrub the blade along the grain using a little bit of pressure on the file.  Sometimes I have to use the tip of a hobby knife to pick out individual flecks of metal but not that often. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2024, 11:44:46 PM »
Yep, along the grain and with file in a vise, those I've done. I just think it's an issue with the files I have and not the brush.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline brasidas19004

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2024, 10:05:38 PM »
Yes, this description is pretty useful, thanks for the info:

"The Simonds medium cut square hand file has double-cut, variable-pitch American pattern teeth for filing slots, corners, and keyways. The file tapers slightly toward the point to ease access into slots. It has double-cut American pattern teeth on all sides for rapid material removal, and the teeth are variably pitched to help reduce chattering and prolong tool life. The tang can be used with an optional handle for secure gripping (sold separately).

Hand files are used to remove material and smooth and shape workpieces. They have forward-facing cutting teeth and cut when pushed over either a stationary or rotating workpiece. Single-cut teeth are single rows cut diagonally across the width of the file. Double-cut teeth have two sets of rows cut in opposite directions. American pattern files have three coarseness grades. Coarse, also known as bastard cut, is suitable for efficient, heavy material removal where finish is not a concern. Medium, also known as second cut, offers average material removal and finish quality. Fine, also known as smooth cut, provides the smoothest finish. Swiss pattern files have eight coarseness grades, from 00 (coarse), 0 (medium), and 1 to 6 (fine to finest), offering a smoother finish than equivalent American pattern files. For Swiss pattern files the length of the tool is the length of the blade, not counting the tang, which is the pointed end fitted for a handle; for American pattern files the length of the tool is its entire length, including the tang.

Simonds International manufactures tools for cutting and finishing. The company, founded in 1832, is headquartered in Fitchburg, MA."

Offline brasidas19004

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2024, 10:07:35 PM »
This set will do - very similar to the one I have, and I'll report back on how well they work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058ECM9K?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

They seem a bit cheap, some are a bit warped, but that's not going to matter for my isage.

Had to return three other sets which were inaccurately described, and I still have two more sets on the way!

Offline brasidas19004

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2024, 02:34:30 PM »
Another set that is the right size, same brand "Euro tools" made in... china of course.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058EDUDC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Eventually, not getting what I asked for, I had to just start ordering sets and return the ones that were too large.

Offline brasidas19004

• Assistant
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2024, 01:09:34 AM »
These are a bit nicer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00THQ251K?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Rubber handles, and they seem "straighter".  Still cheap.