Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2024, 09:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1980s Bundeswehr Jägerzug (rifle platoon)  (Read 4893 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Galactic Brain
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: 1980s Bundeswehr Jägerzug (rifle platoon)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2024, 06:30:56 PM »
This is a great thread, I think you really nailed the uniform color.

I quite agree.  Those chaps look great!

To my knowledge, the FRG wasn't deploying troops outside of Germany in the early '90s, or I might find a place for them in my Northern Gambola or Balszakistan games...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline HESH

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2024, 10:39:21 PM »
More great work. The Leopards are terrific!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2024, 11:22:04 PM »
Great work on those troops. They look great!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2024, 01:56:26 AM »
If you fancy a Leopard upgrade, some Unimogs or an actual Bundeswehr M113A1G try this chap. He's based in Germany and I can vouch for the quality of his prints, they're excellent. He also has an Etsy store which frequently has good discounts.

https://patrickminiatures.de/
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2024, 10:22:37 AM »

To my knowledge, the FRG wasn't deploying troops outside of Germany in the early '90s, or I might find a place for them in my Northern Gambola or Balszakistan games...
Not exactly 'deployed' in an operational sense, but there was a panzer training battalion down the road from me at Castlemartin Camp in Pembrokeshire, West Wales from the mid-1960s to mid-1990s, together with a permanent Luftwaffe air transport presence at RAF Brawdy at the other end of the county.  This meant that that exercises by German helicopters, airborne, Luftwaffe and other units were also a regular 'thing' around here when I was growing up and parts of the county had tri-lingual roadsigns (Welsh, English and German).  German soldiers were also an occasional presence in our wargames club.

Oh and bloody lovely modelling!   :-*
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 10:26:31 AM by Jemima Fawr »
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2024, 10:33:28 AM »

Oh I forgot to add that a German Fallschirmjaeger Battalion plus support, was part of the 'Southern Option' for the AMF(L) Brigade Group, so could potentially have gone 'out of area' as part of a NATO mission.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2024, 11:01:14 AM »
Not exactly 'deployed' in an operational sense, but there was a panzer training battalion down the road from me at Castlemartin Camp in Pembrokeshire, West Wales from the mid-1960s to mid-1990s, together with a permanent Luftwaffe air transport presence at RAF Brawdy at the other end of the county.  This meant that that exercises by German helicopters, airborne, Luftwaffe and other units were also a regular 'thing' around here when I was growing up and parts of the county had tri-lingual roadsigns (Welsh, English and German).  German soldiers were also an occasional presence in our wargames club.

Oh and bloody lovely modelling!   :-*

All very convincingly dressed as Polish paratroopers. Of course you can only tell us this now that Donald Sutherland is dead.  ;)

Next you'll be telling us that there was a German goalkeeper at Man U as far back as the 1950s. :D

I think you did well out of the bargain. The rather gorgeous RAF Little Rissington was turned over to tender mercies of the Royal Irish Rangers before falling into the hands of the USAF as a bloody hospital.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2024, 11:05:34 AM »
Oh I forgot to add that a German Fallschirmjaeger Battalion plus support, was part of the 'Southern Option' for the AMF(L) Brigade Group, so could potentially have gone 'out of area' as part of a NATO mission.

Indeed, if you fee like converting the G3s into folding stock versions or just ignoring that detail (I would) then you can field them far afield. I've seen photos of the German paras on exercise in Turkey. IIRC the Osprey on NATO forces has at least one photo showing that. German paras vs Bulgarians?

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2024, 12:13:55 PM »
All very convincingly dressed as Polish paratroopers. Of course you can only tell us this now that Donald Sutherland is dead.  ;)

Next you'll be telling us that there was a German goalkeeper at Man U as far back as the 1950s. :D

I think you did well out of the bargain. The rather gorgeous RAF Little Rissington was turned over to tender mercies of the Royal Irish Rangers before falling into the hands of the USAF as a bloody hospital.
I've said too much...   :-X

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2024, 02:20:53 PM »
I've said too much...   :-X

Quite alright, it's not like these are the WarThunder forums.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline CapnJim

• Galactic Brain
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2024, 04:25:07 PM »
Hmm...this whole thread has given me food for thought.  FRG troops, Brits, who knows who might show up in Northern Gambola in the future...?

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2024, 05:32:20 PM »
Hmm...this whole thread has given me food for thought.  FRG troops, Brits, who knows who might show up in Northern Gambola in the future...?
IIRC, the 'Southern (AFSOUTH) Option' for AMF(L) consisted of German, Spanish, Belgian and US battalion battlegroups (all of them Airborne), with headquarters, medium armoured recce squadron, artillery regiment, engineers and other combat support elements mostly provided by the British Army (each battlegroup had their own organic light arty and some other combat support elements).  There were also then AMF Sea and Air components for both 'Southern' and 'Northern' options.

The 'Northern (AFNORTH) Option' had British, Canadian and Italian Battlegroups plus a reinforced Luxembourg Company Group all geared toward Arctic Warfare (memory's not great, but there might have been another group?).  However, both the Northern and Southern 'Options' used all the same (mostly British) headquarters and combat support elements and a lot of the same Air and Sea component, so it would have been one or the other, not both. 

Norway was seen as the most likely destination for AMF(L), with increasing amounts of heavy equipment pre-positioned there, while Turkey was the typical destination for the Southern Option.  However, more esoteric destinations were undoubtedly planned for, such as securing Malta or Cyprus, a 'Second Suez Crisis', etc, so it's entirely possible that they might have ended up in Gambola...  :D 

Denmark was also initially seen as a likely destination for the Northern Option, but as time went on more NATO forces were allocated to securing Denmark (UK Mobile Force, US 9th Infantry Division and possibly a USMC MAB).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 09:07:36 AM by Jemima Fawr »

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2024, 06:08:42 PM »
And while you are contemplating all that I'll just add that Eureka Portuguese with WW2 German helmets, painted in plain OG uniforms and with their G3s stocks painted as wood make pretty good Cold War Spanish proxies.

With a little work the Underfire Miniatures themselves can be readily proxied as other folk. Chilean Marines for example were, at the time, principally armed with G3s or their 5.56mm near identical little brother the HK-33. Mexico was another big user of the G3 and US stye tin hats, as were Colombia and Iran. Just sayin'.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2024, 03:59:53 PM »
If you fancy a Leopard upgrade, some Unimogs or an actual Bundeswehr M113A1G try this chap. He's based in Germany and I can vouch for the quality of his prints, they're excellent. He also has an Etsy store which frequently has good discounts.

https://patrickminiatures.de/

Thank you very much for the link!
M113s are available from Rubicon, I already have one (yet unbuilt) and the Leo 2 is too modern for my needs.
However I ordered one of the Unimogs to get an impression of what it looks like in the flesh. The 3D graphic doesn't look perfect (I used to own the prototype for years and know it quite well). I'll show the model here when it's finished...

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2024, 05:58:19 PM »
... and the Leo 2 is too modern for my needs.
The Cromwell tank tribute band apparently was touring from 1982.