Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2024, 08:32:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1702404
  • Total Topics: 119200
  • Online Today: 617
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oldskoolrebel's French Indian War Thread  (Read 2155 times)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
Oldskoolrebel's French Indian War Thread
« on: June 17, 2024, 11:01:38 AM »
Yesterday, I managed to push some models around the board. It feels like it's been a long time coming.

I played a 250-point game of Muskets and Tomahawks (1st Edition). I forgot how simple and fun the rule set is. We opted for a simple scenario of rescuing the British General's Daughter (or, in the French case, capturing her for ransom). I played the Canadian Milices aided by their Huron allies, and my opponent played the British Rangers and their Mohican allies.

The unnamed General's daughter calmly relaxes next to the ruined cottages of some settlers who were run out of the area. Clearly, with her attire, she is some sort of time traveller.

After getting some very advantageous activation cards the British Rangers make their way straight towards the General's Daughter. It looked as though it was going to be over in a short affair...

The thread of the nearby Milice didn't deter the Rangers.

However the second unit of Milice managed to bring their guns to bear on the advancing Rangers, and after some very good rolls on my part routed them.

Ultimately, some natives provided covering fire for a second group of Rangers to escape with the General's daughter.

I enjoyed the game. It feels like I've been working on terrain and miniatures for months, so getting to push them around the table was great fun! The rules were great; I'm unsure if it's worth updating to M&T Second Edition. Reviewing the rulebook, I forgot a few minor rules, and we forgot about some of the officer's traits. However, it all still worked out.

I misplaced the activation cards, so I had to make some. I think I know where the originals are, so I hope to find them over the next few weeks. I'm also going to play around with some alternative smoke markers- I've read that teddy bear stuffing is better than cotton wool.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Oldskoolrebel's French Indian War Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 11:10:05 AM »
That’s a lovely set up 8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/blog

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 05:32:48 PM »
Looks great, I am sure you will get plenty more games in now you have regulars as well. :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 10:32:22 PM »
Nice setup! I look forward to seeing more F&IW goodness...

Mike Demana

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2024, 08:38:09 PM »
Great to see your table. I think we made a game in London in 2017 or 2018 last time. And you planned a table.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2024, 07:49:43 AM »
That's a lovely table! Have you played any other games appropriate for the period? I was looking at M&T but with the cards the game is just a bit too pricey to just pick up on a whim.

I have some French coureurs and compagnies franches to paint and then to get some Woodland Natives and some Brits...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2024, 09:26:06 AM »
Nice work Andy :-* :-* :-*

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2024, 09:39:43 AM »
 8)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2024, 11:27:50 AM »
Lovely looking game!

Christopher

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2024, 02:29:37 PM »
Well done Andy. Nice set up. I do like M&T  8)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2024, 04:37:16 PM »
Cheers folks!

Looks great, I am sure you will get plenty more games in now you have regulars as well. :-*

Oh definitely! Won't be long before the British drums are echoing through the forest...

Nice setup! I look forward to seeing more F&IW goodness...

Mike Demana

Thanks, Mike; I've just finished some Compagnies Franches de la Marine, which will be making an appearance over the weekend.

Great to see your table. I think we made a game in London in 2017 or 2018 last time. And you planned a table.

Dirk! We did indeed. Finally glad to be at a point that I can enjoy a game. Hopefully there will be more in the future!

That's a lovely table! Have you played any other games appropriate for the period? I was looking at M&T but with the cards the game is just a bit too pricey to just pick up on a whim.

I have some French coureurs and compagnies franches to paint and then to get some Woodland Natives and some Brits...

I get you. I can't comment on the most recent iteration of the game, however first edition is very simple and has been worth every penny. I've heard that Sharpe Practise is another nice option.

Also get those minis painted!

Nice work Andy :-* :-* :-*

Cheers Colin! We should get a game at some point!

Well done Andy. Nice set up. I do like M&T  8)

It's a cracking little system.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 04:46:33 PM »
I was looking at M&T but with the cards the game is just a bit too pricey to just pick up on a whim.

Hi Max! Not to threadjack here, but Song of Drums and Tomahawks is a smaller, man-to-man scale game with each player controlling less than a dozen individual figs. Rules are only $15 or less for PDF download. We've been playing them for a decade and they make for a fun game. Lot of game reports on the First Command Wargames website, if you want to check into them beforehand.
http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/song-of-drums-and-tomahawks.html

I now return you to your regularly scheduled Oldskoolrebel thread on F&I War fun...  lol

Mike Demana

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2024, 09:52:35 AM »
Thanks chaps, only one reply to truly not hijack the post :D

As it happens, I do have Song of Drums and Tomahawks, as I recently purchased it alongside Flashing Steel, which I'm going to try with my border reivers.

Oldskoolrebel, did you build the board yourself as well? It looks like made of two halfs, I've been considering making one for myself and yours look good and sturdy.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2024, 10:12:21 AM »
It is a very good game. I think the new edition is even better; the addition of command points gives players more options, and the move to d10 improves the game as well. Plus of course you can use it for Napoleonics. I do miss the multiple actions for regulars on one card from v1, though. That was a nice feature.
Sharp Practice is also good, but it pays a lot slower than M&T.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2024, 08:45:00 AM »
Cracking set up. Nice to see you getting a game after all that hard work.